Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #435
Ravage

Drives: 2013 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
As soon as you automate the clutch and transmission in any manner that makes you look/sound better at shifting than you really are, you might as well just get a real automatic with the paddles.

Even if your DSG is in a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Audi, or other exotic, you don't get a free pass to transmission acceptability from me for buying your way to sounding like you know what you're doing.

Yes, I understand that they'll make the car a little faster in a race. But in all other driving it's not enough different from a real automatic with paddles to be worth bragging about.

Sorry, but it's kind of hard to accept the concept that you can just shove the lever to "D" and forget all about keeping the engine in its happy rpm band as being consistent with the total driving experience.

Technology does not and cannot understand human interaction, so just because it exists does not automatically grant it "better" status than what it purports to replace. Better for hollow bragging rights, probably.

A DSG box, does have paddle shifters, there is no gear stick. They function very differently to a torque convertor and essentially the laggy feeling to get in a torque convertor automatic doesn't exist in a DSG.

As for leaving it in D and forgetting about it, a DSG box does offer you that, but they are designed to be controlled manually with paddle shifters. It's just a manual car without a clutch and a leaver. It's far different from a torque convertor you get in a say the Camaro.

My point about why BMW leave regular manual in as an option for their DSG optioned cars is around the idea that people think they are "more of a driver" because they drive a manual and that automatics are for wimps. A DSG box is far from being just an automatic box. Think of it this way, the Camaro automatic has a L99 400 hp engine that delivers power a lot less than the 420hp LS3, which is due to the fact the LS3 would destroy the transmission. With a DSG, there is no fear since they are essentially just like a manual.

Also I wouldn't be bragging about having a DSG, my point was drivers who choose a manual over a DSG shouldn't be saying they are a superior driver because it's more connected with the driving experience. If regular manual is what interests you, then that's great. It's about getting from A to B, or even A to A on a track and whatever makes you happy is what you should go for.

For myself though I would always choose a DSG over manual or and automatic, but that's a personal choice. I like technology, I love where it can take cars, but not everyone has to follow.
Ravage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #436
Boris632

Drives: 1955 210
i prefer to have a stick for a street car. If I was building a bracket/drag car then im going with an automatic
Boris632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #437
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by invaderzim View Post
Just wanted to make sure everyone understands these are all just his opinions. Nothing more. Just because you've grown tired of a clutch doesn't mean youre not good at it. Not everyone believes what you believe. When I was young everyone had stick. All of us. Auto was a luxury most of us couldn't afford. My opinion is that it's borderline retarded to willingly want to deal with the hassle of a clutch. People who can afford available auto trannies and go with stick are considered posers who just feel having stick proves something for them. Again, just my opinion. The ls3 vs l99 arguement is a valid one but don't assume having stick makes you a better driver. You want to feel "manly" with clutch and gears get a motorcycle. Even professional racecar drivers don't want to deal with a clutch. I LOVE my motorcycles don't get me wrong. But I'd never in a million years pay premium price for a vehicle that couldnt shift itself just for my own amusement. Been there. Done that. Never again. Too old to torture myself just to fool myself into thinking I'm cool and believing others think it as well.
I'm afraid that you missed my point completely.

But since you mentioned the 'poser' word, I guess I'll have to specifically assign that tag directly at the DSG-users in their street driving just to make myself clear. When you get either a conventional manual transmission or a conventional automatic you've made a definitive choice without trying to pretend it's something it's not.

I bet I can still find the Autoweek column that discussed manual transmission use and driver situational awareness, though.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #438
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

Drives: 2021 ZLE A10
Send a message via AIM to Blu Ray Send a message via Yahoo to Blu Ray
STICK

2012 1LS M6 Black-Sold
2013 2LT M6 BluRay- Sold
2015 1SS 1LE M6 Black-Sold
2021 ZLE A10 Riverside Blue - Awaiting Arrival 01/10
Blu Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #439
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravage View Post
. . . my point was drivers who choose a manual over a DSG shouldn't be saying they are a superior driver because it's more connected with the driving experience.
To the extent that drivers of DSG-equipped cars use it manually I certainly agree. Even the level of situational awareness should be very similar.

About the bragging - that's aimed more at the implied bragging associated with the exotics and near-exotics where just having the car does the "I'm equipped with the latest transmission technology" bragging for you.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 04-15-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #440
LS1hawk

Drives: 11 SGM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Just wanted to make sure everyone understands these are all just his opinions. Nothing more. Just because you've grown tired of a clutch doesn't mean youre not good at it. Not everyone believes what you believe. When I was young everyone had stick. All of us. Auto was a luxury most of us couldn't afford. My opinion is that it's borderline retarded to willingly want to deal with the hassle of a clutch. People who can afford available auto trannies and go with stick are considered posers who just feel having stick proves something for them. Again, just my opinion. The ls3 vs l99 arguement is a valid one but don't assume having stick makes you a better driver. You want to feel "manly" with clutch and gears get a motorcycle. Even professional racecar drivers don't want to deal with a clutch. I LOVE my motorcycles don't get me wrong. But I'd never in a million years pay premium price for a vehicle that couldnt shift itself just for my own amusement. Been there. Done that. Never again. Too old to torture myself just to fool myself into thinking I'm cool and believing others think it as well.
I'm surprised to see the word retarded used in this way. A different adjective would go a long way and still prove your point. /RANT

I chose the standard 6 speed because that is what I enjoy.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #441
james347

Drives: 2006 Crownline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
Guy's who drive a automatic does that make them any less of a man?
Nope.
james347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #442
CamaroTom

Drives: 1/70 2013 BRM 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
6 speed alcantara wrapped short throw stick for me thank you.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #443
longgun
Drummer

Drives: Black Camaro
Steeek
longgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:33 AM   #444
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEMayhem View Post
6 speed alcantara wrapped short throw stick for me thank you.

CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:38 AM   #445
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
I have absolutely No beefs with the L99 , hell I had one before I bought my 1LE and I loved her , wish I could of kept it with this one!!
But I must say dude and I could be wrong here (wanna emphasize could)....You seem from your above posting/use of words that you my friend are in MUCH DENIAL!!
CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #446
Renegade
Banned

Drives: Camaro SS Edition
Send a message via AIM to Renegade Send a message via MSN to Renegade Send a message via Yahoo to Renegade Send a message via Skype™ to Renegade
Quote:
Why so serious?
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #447
Ace1USMC

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS LS3
I got the manual - and it's been fun...but I dunno how much longer the 6060 is gonna hold up. I drive my car like I stole it, and when this tranny goes, I'll be doing a BUILT 4L80E conversion to hold up to the launches. I originally built my '69 Chevelle with a Richmond 5 speed. Then I converted to a TH400. Now, I'm converting her back to a stick with a twist...I'm running a Jeffco 4spd - which is exactly like a Lenco. So she'll have the best of both worlds - a clutch for a brutal launch, and planetary gears for brutal shifts.

BLESSINGS!
Sam
Old 04-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #448
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Can you imagine having to answer "neither" to this question? I'm just glad I'm not one of those!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2