Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-30-2015, 11:09 AM   #43
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
Nostalgia is remembering the good, but not the bad. Back in the day, those cars were the newest and best... but we had nothing to compare them to.

The classic muscle cars, when compared to today's cars, were of inferior quality, didn't produce power like today's cars, had poor safety features, and did not have the modern materials and technology we have. Don't get me wrong: I do love me a Chevelle, Camaro, or Mopar from the 60s and early 70s... but, if I were to choose ONE car that had to be my only car for the rest of my life, I'd take a modern car any day. No contest.
I'll stop with those opinions pre-emissions those big block and small block engines were absolute gas guzzlers but the HP and TQ they had would put most current engines to shame. That being stated modern technology has closed that gap but nothing is like a pre-smog 454 in power some of those unmodified were putting out 600HP. As for poor safety features your half right technology has improved you have better airbags and crumple zones in cars on purpose but god help me if i hit a pickup in a current camaro it may not end well if i hit one in an old 69 chevy i'll have an overall better chance of surviving they're bricks with power you'll get the whiplash for sure but not get crumpled like a sardines in your own car.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:20 AM   #44
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Here's one of the best demonstrations of new vs. old crash survivability:

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...yfp-t-901&fp=1
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:37 AM   #45
AF1Strider

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS/RS
I'd love a Gen 7 inspired off of an 1987 Iroc!
AF1Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:21 PM   #46
Kens ss

Drives: 2011 SS/RS , L99 convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
Here's one of the best demonstrations of new vs. old crash survivability:

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...yfp-t-901&fp=1
Yup that is the crash test I was speaking of, not impala but Belair and Malibu. The old heavy all steel car faired poorly. Great video!
Kens ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:45 AM   #47
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
Man, when they switched to those interior shots of the crash, that really showed the differences in safety and technology.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:29 AM   #48
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr02Z/28 View Post
this is what I wanted for the 6th Gen ....

That Front reminds me way to much of the 70's era Chrysler Cordoba, which was a hideous looking car with worst quality fit of parts I think I've ever seen. The hood/grill is close in shape between these two. Aerodynamics of the flat plow shaped front-end I'd also avoid; it looks super slow. The Camaro rendering does not have the big haunches area at the top of the back fenders that makes the body design an icon and so aggressively cool looking to me (glad it was kept on 6th gen).

Ron

Last edited by ron123; 08-31-2015 at 06:50 AM.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:19 AM   #49
chain777

Drives: Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
I'll stop with those opinions pre-emissions those big block and small block engines were absolute gas guzzlers but the HP and TQ they had would put most current engines to shame. That being stated modern technology has closed that gap but nothing is like a pre-smog 454 in power some of those unmodified were putting out 600HP. As for poor safety features your half right technology has improved you have better airbags and crumple zones in cars on purpose but god help me if i hit a pickup in a current camaro it may not end well if i hit one in an old 69 chevy i'll have an overall better chance of surviving they're bricks with power you'll get the whiplash for sure but not get crumpled like a sardines in your own car.
Today's performance cars are vastly more powerful and safe than the old muscle cars. What makes you believe what you wrote is true?
chain777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:23 AM   #50
EFI

Drives: something faster than you
The 6th gen is not even out yet and you're already talking about the 7th gen? Why stop there?

Quote:
one of the five best looking muscle cars ever built and currently one of the top 15 best looking cars on the planet.
You must be on drugs with this statement, which kinda answers my first question.
EFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:05 AM   #51
dantemcc

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFI View Post
The 6th gen is not even out yet and you're already talking about the 7th gen? Why stop there?

You must be on drugs with this statement, which kinda answers my first question.
A part of me had to laugh at that. Do me a favor, the next time you quote me, quote the entire quote. I believe I said i was making that statement using only my opinion. So, if having an opinion makes me be on drugs, I'm cool with that. I'll be on drugs all day long for having and sharing my opinion.

Thanks for the compliment.
dantemcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:09 AM   #52
Beardface

Drives: '11 topless 2LT RS & '05 Altima SER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr02Z/28 View Post
this is what I wanted for the 6th Gen ....
Holy mother of blind spots, Batman!

I'm glad they're moving forward in an evolutionary way from the 2014 exterior, and no longer looking back to mimic the past. The 5th gen served a purpose of making the American Muscle cool again, and it did so with flying colors. Between it, the Challenger, and the Mustang, this market is exploding in ways we haven't really seen since the 70s. And to continue down this path, they all need to take their designs and continue to evolve them forward. Ford did this really well with the new Mustang, Chevy did a decent job with the 6th Gen Camaro, and we're still waiting to see what Dodge has in store.

And I disagree with the earlier comments about the 5th Gen. It will be a classic down the line. It helped usher in the re-emergence of the American muscle. That alone should make this model, and especially the 1LE, ZL1 and Z/28 versions, extremely valuable to collectors 40 years down the line.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:14 AM   #53
Desert Dweller

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardface View Post
And I disagree with the earlier comments about the 5th Gen. It will be a classic down the line. It helped usher in the re-emergence of the American muscle. That alone should make this model, and especially the 1LE, ZL1 and Z/28 versions, extremely valuable to collectors 40 years down the line.
I'm on board with this too. Just thinking that 40 years from now, these old cars are going to need to be converted to hydrogen fuel cell. Gasoline may go the way of the pay phone and record player.