Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-07-2019, 01:07 PM   #1
sokol

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE
Street/autocross brake pads

Hello everyone,

It's finally time for me to change front brake pads on my car and I can't decide which once to get. I don't DD my car anymore but still drive it 5-10 times a month on twisty roads and going to bring it to couple of autocross events before the end of the season. I want something with more stopping power than the oem and going to change it back to stock for winter. I am thinking about getting hawk hp+ but I've read it has a problem with corosive dust getting caked on rims? Noise and dust is really not a problem as long as it's not corosive. I also consider getting carbotech ax6, xp8, porterfield r4-s, or g loc. Anyone has experience with hp+ on the front and oem on the back? Is there a better combination of brake pads for my driving? Thanks in advance.
sokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:22 AM   #2
Matty Ice

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
Stock pads are pretty hard to improve on. Unless you have heat/temp issues no reason to change. Stock pads stop 4,000lbs going 60mph in 100ft, very few cars do it better. Depending on if you are activating ABS and what tires you are running, tires can make more of a difference than brake pads.
Matty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:19 PM   #3
Zombie killer
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99
Stock pads are nice and linear, but if you want grab hard brakes, then the HP+ pads will do that. Depends on your driving style. I use the HP+ pads and don’t have any issues. Haven’t noticed corrosion but I also wash my rims regularly after the event on the following weekend. You can try the Hawks 5.0 pads.

But either way , I would suggest matching compounds front and rear unless you are running at high speed track events where you may want a different brake bias.