Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-03-2017, 06:30 PM   #1
caratemymoney

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Lifter swap? Or no? 2010 L99

I have 2010 SS w/ 72k miles... i've had it for a year

When I start it cold in the morning, or after it's sat for 5 or so hours, about half the time the lifters will be loud for 1 second. Loud enough to hear inside the car.

I've only had it for a year so I don't know how long it's been doing this.

Is this somewhere I can just keep using indefinitely, or should I tear apart the engine and do the lifters?

My real concern is a lifter needle or whatever it is (that holds the roller on) slamming up and down before the pressure builds up , breaking and filling my oil pan with metal. General consensus i've seen is this is normal , especially if it's only a second or two, and won't be a problem in the long run.

Also i've seen some people replace the cam as well, is this necessary? Or only if there is clear lobe damage?
caratemymoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:52 PM   #2
URDAMAN

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS / RS
Are you stock?
URDAMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:02 PM   #3
caratemymoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by URDAMAN View Post
Are you stock?
Yes, just CAI and mufflers, AFM shut off via tune
Old 10-03-2017, 07:17 PM   #4
URDAMAN

Lifters should be fine, springs maybe a little tired thats all.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:45 PM   #5
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
On the main page type in tic tic tic in the search window and scroll down to tick tick tick tick in the searched threads. That should enlighten you on where your at.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:48 PM   #6
Stefano

Drives: 6th Gen NicKey Camaro & others.
AFM lifters have been known to have issues stock. Sounds like an opportunity or good excuse to upgrade to LS3 lifters and a Cam : )
Stefano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:55 PM   #7
Synner

Drives: cars
Hydraulic lifters leak down by their very nature of being hydraulic and take a couple seconds to build back oil pressure in them. Accept it because it's normal and replacing them like for like is a giant waste of money that won't change anything.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:24 PM   #8
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
My 2011 L99 did the same thing. They were replaced under warranty in 2014. Start ups are quiet now no matter how long it sits.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:50 AM   #9
Gordo-D

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
I did my own a few months back [ticking at 11k] bought new GM lifters, took the heads off and changed them all, no more ticking.
Gordo-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:51 AM   #10
Slickcas

Drives: 12' 2SS/RS LS3 IBM
It’s a bit of work but not to hard. What I would do is change out the lifters to LS3/LS7 put a new LS3 cover on it to remove the DOD. But absolutely keep the VVT.
Slickcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:56 AM   #11
URDAMAN

You'll be fine...at 72k? I wouldnt worry
Old 10-04-2017, 07:52 AM   #12
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by URDAMAN View Post
You'll be fine...at 72k? I wouldnt worry
Ever see an LS motor that spins the lifter in the bucket....after tapping for a while....? Plan on a new motor.

Better to fix it before the major carnage.

Lifters on an LS motor are a piece of cake. There are a bizzillion short cuts. I've even seen it done one side at a time leaving the intake manifold on.

But, even doing it the right way, slowly and methodically is a piece of cake. On modern engines it's one of the easiest upper end job you can imagine. Even the intake gaskets are reusable.

Would be the perfect time to do some LT headers, LS3 conversion, mild cam, new lifters, new oil pump, chain, dogbone... power up it a bit and bulletproof it.

Driving it around with a lifter going bad is just waiting for it to crap it's pants one day. And when it tears up that lifter bore... say hello to a new $6000 engine and $$$$$ labor and downtime...

If you don't want to mod it you could even throw in new L99 lifters for a couple hundred. Friend of mine just did it on a 5.3 truck without removing the intake for cost of lifters, buckets, headgaskets, exhaust gaskets, headbolts. Slid one head off at a time hanging that side of the intake up with a bungee from the hood. Rednecks find the most genius repair hacks.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:21 AM   #13
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
old oil can accentuate the noise. do a good flush and oil\filter change. if it is near that time, needs to be done anyway. if it doesn't change anything, at least you have fresh oil!
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:27 AM   #14
caratemymoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Ever see an LS motor that spins the lifter in the bucket....after tapping for a while....? Plan on a new motor.

Better to fix it before the major carnage.

Lifters on an LS motor are a piece of cake. There are a bizzillion short cuts. I've even seen it done one side at a time leaving the intake manifold on.

But, even doing it the right way, slowly and methodically is a piece of cake. On modern engines it's one of the easiest upper end job you can imagine. Even the intake gaskets are reusable.

Would be the perfect time to do some LT headers, LS3 conversion, mild cam, new lifters, new oil pump, chain, dogbone... power up it a bit and bulletproof it.

Driving it around with a lifter going bad is just waiting for it to crap it's pants one day. And when it tears up that lifter bore... say hello to a new $6000 engine and $$$$$ labor and downtime...

If you don't want to mod it you could even throw in new L99 lifters for a couple hundred. Friend of mine just did it on a 5.3 truck without removing the intake for cost of lifters, buckets, headgaskets, exhaust gaskets, headbolts. Slid one head off at a time hanging that side of the intake up with a bungee from the hood. Rednecks find the most genius repair hacks.
it sounds fine a second or two after it starts up