Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 06-15-2019, 10:30 PM   #1
Tran2la

Drives: 2013 Camaro with a Nova body
DFCO setting for more mileage?

I have HP Tuners and would like to tune the DFCO to give me a tad more fuel mileage under deceleration.

I have the 2013 L99/LS3 with an automatic. I also have a wideband and I have seen that sometimes it does the fuel cutoff under decal and other times it does not. I have had it tuned as well.

I would like to have it cut fuel till it drops down to somewhere around 1500 rpm but in HP Tuners, it seems that the enable and disable is through TPS.

Is that where I do the adjustments? And what would you guys recommend?
Tran2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:00 AM   #2
Tran2la

Figured it out. Changed CylAir to a higher figure and now it works. Guess with the new cam, stock figures were too low and engine CylAir never went that low to enable.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:43 PM   #3
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
There are a few different things you can do to extend the range of DFCO. I have mine come in fast, and stay on all the way down to 1200rpm. If you drive with DFCO in mind you can definitely pick up some MPGs.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:41 PM   #4
Tran2la

Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
There are a few different things you can do to extend the range of DFCO. I have mine come in fast, and stay on all the way down to 1200rpm. If you drive with DFCO in mind you can definitely pick up some MPGs.
What things can you do? How do you have it set up to come on fast? Not much info revealed from your post. Do share.
As for enable and disable rpm settings, I have mine set at 950/850. And even with that low of a Rpm, it will still shut down around 1100ish due to MPH settings. And it works out to never stall.

Hope others chime in to reveal their settings.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:01 PM   #5
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tran2la View Post
What things can you do? How do you have it set up to come on fast? Not much info revealed from your post. Do share.
As for enable and disable rpm settings, I have mine set at 950/850. And even with that low of a Rpm, it will still shut down around 1100ish due to MPH settings. And it works out to never stall.

Hope others chime in to reveal their settings.
Here is a screen shot of all the settings I have changed. I could bring my disable values up a few hundreths to get it to run down even further. Those cylair values for the enable and disable will depend on camshaft profile, I pull less vacuum at low rpms, so my values may not work work your setup.

Mine never has any issues coming out of DFCO, whether in gear or stepping on the clutch at just off idle. A well tuned idle will ensure this.
Attached Images

GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:35 PM   #6
Tran2la

You wasn't kidding with the entry speed!
Old 06-19-2019, 08:45 PM   #7
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
You wasn't kidding with the entry speed!
It still doesn't happen as fast as I'd like - there must be a preset delay that works on top of the settings you can adjust.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:54 PM   #8
Tran2la

Quote:
It still doesn't happen as fast as I'd like - there must be a preset delay that works on top of the settings you can adjust.
I did see a DFCO delay setting but mine is zeroed out. On my car, sometimes, it dos not go into it even though all the parameters are met. I think that the engine load has to be low or something (I'm running Automatic 6l80e). Going downhill it activates every time but uphill, at times it just does not go into it for a while. I did not see any other delays that can be adjusted.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:34 AM   #9
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
I did see a DFCO delay setting but mine is zeroed out. On my car, sometimes, it dos not go into it even though all the parameters are met. I think that the engine load has to be low or something (I'm running Automatic 6l80e). Going downhill it activates every time but uphill, at times it just does not go into it for a while. I did not see any other delays that can be adjusted.
I'm sure with an automatic there is an added layer of complexity with DFCO. I know with several other automatic late model vehicles I've driven it seems pretty hard to get the full DFCO and engine braking I would like to see. My wifes 2012 Town & Country for example - it takes FOREVER to actually go into a full DFCO, even when downshifted and at a point where it should be strongly engine braking. I believe it has a lot to do with the PCM still manipulating the throttle - even though I have my foot off the accelerator. I'm not sure, but there may be other trans or throttle parameters you could tweak to further change the response.

The DFCO delay setting is zero on mine as well - that seems like an additional time you can apply to add a static amount of delay time for DFCO entry once all other parameters are met. I've never messed with it.

For me, I want DFCO to be just like it is with my old mechanical diesel truck - when I roll out of the throttle if the driveline will keep the engine turning then the fuel shuts right off.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:32 AM   #10
ABM Camaro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 Camaro
Personally if it was me, Thats not where Id look to improve MPG. Id look at the threshold where I can go into power enrichment.

In you HPT, go under your Fuel tab/ Power Enrich/ throttle/ Hot. Stock its about 30% throttle to enter PE. From zero to 3000 RPM range bring that up to 50%. This will tell the computer to look to go into power enrichment above applying 50% throttle in your lower cruising range.

V6 Camaro bolt ons and E85
Tuned by Tampa Tuning
ABM Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:54 PM   #11
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABM Camaro View Post
Personally if it was me, Thats not where Id look to improve MPG. Id look at the threshold where I can go into power enrichment.

In you HPT, go under your Fuel tab/ Power Enrich/ throttle/ Hot. Stock its about 30% throttle to enter PE. From zero to 3000 RPM range bring that up to 50%. This will tell the computer to look to go into power enrichment above applying 50% throttle in your lower cruising range.
Concur - I have that strategy in place as well - I have a falling curve from 1000-4000rpm on TPS threshold for PE. It requires 65% at 1000 rpm and then is down to 15% by 4000rpm - so, as the RPMs rise it's easier to get into power enrichment.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:43 PM   #12
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Here is a screen shot of all the settings I have changed. I could bring my disable values up a few hundreths to get it to run down even further. Those cylair values for the enable and disable will depend on camshaft profile, I pull less vacuum at low rpms, so my values may not work work your setup.

Mine never has any issues coming out of DFCO, whether in gear or stepping on the clutch at just off idle. A well tuned idle will ensure this.
Holy crap that cuts in fast lol I'm gonna adjust mine to come on sooner. Interesting seeing your settings!
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:42 PM   #13
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
Holy crap that cuts in fast lol I'm gonna adjust mine to come on sooner. Interesting seeing your settings!
It doesn't though, I really haven't felt much of any change in the entry time, even with it that aggressive. I kept on halving and halving the values - it seems like it has a good 0.5-1 second delay still to come in.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:36 PM   #14
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
It doesn't though, I really haven't felt much of any change in the entry time, even with it that aggressive. I kept on halving and halving the values - it seems like it has a good 0.5-1 second delay still to come in.
What are your spark settings? I know on other E38 pcms (LS7 comes to mind) there are decay settings for dfco which is the ramp rate to your desired dfco spark value. Wonder if the guys at hp tuners could make that available on our cars. Might be the setting you're looking for

Edit: I emailed hptuners support to see if there are additional settings for dfco
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote