Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-10-2019, 06:08 AM   #1
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
Surprise ... Turtle Wax ICE Seal & Shine is the bomb

Pan The Organizer: Mothers CMX VS Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax VS Turtle Wax ICE Seal & Shine

Check out this video (no, it's not me) and see what you think.

After watching this video and a few others like it, I took "the plunge" and bought two bottles of ICE Seal & Shine at Walmart for $6.99 each (I've seen it at the other parts stores for $11 - $12).

After prepping the Camaro, I applied this stuff. It's practically a one microfiber/wipe-on-walk-away sealant and it's EASY, EASY, EASY to apply. Mist onto the surface, wipe in and for all practical purposes, you're done. If for some reason, you get smearing, you've either #1 Used WAY too much or #2 Didn't wipe it in enough. If you do get smearing, a wipe down with a damp microfiber will knock down the smearing. BUT, it also seems to be self-leveling ... on my black Camaro, what little smearing there was went away on its own.

I've put two coats on my car - 24 hours apart - even though Turtle Wax says nothing about any cure time required, and as easy as the first coat was, the second was even easier.

From the torture test in the video, this stuff holds up to some pretty nasty chemicals, so it should have a decent life span on a non-abused car. BUT even if if only lasts a few months, it's so easy to apply AND so cheap, that I would have no problem reapplying it monthly. You just have to remember that I'm the type to apply a wax/sealant after every wash ... just because I like doing it, and with Turtle Wax ICE Seal & Shine, it's so fast and easy it's like using a quick detailer spray.

It can also be used on trim, glass and plastic. The smell is kind of like a Men's Cologne, not bad at all.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:42 PM   #2
witenite

Drives: 2010 2SS non RS
Thanks. I think I will give it a try.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:26 AM   #3
Redgt03

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I purchased two bottles as well - after watching that same video last week. I was very surprised with the results.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:33 AM   #4
DonM
Camaro #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgt03 View Post
I purchased two bottles as well - after watching that same video last week. I was very surprised with the results.
"Surprised" doesn't even begin to describe how I was with the ease of application and the results after 2 coats.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:40 PM   #5
crazy4camaro

Drives: 2012 RSLT,1979 Trans Am
I applied turtle ice seal and shine , I though with light enough application and after removing I did have some smearing. I got out my electric buffer and finished the job to a mirror like finish , very pleased with final results...use very lightly good stuff
crazy4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:11 PM   #6
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
I haven't tried the Ice yet but I've been using Turtle Wax Wax and Dry spray carnuba which I'm a huge fan of.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:56 PM   #7
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Nothing against this product, I'm open minded to try any type of product that has durable protection, but the torture tests done here, and on many other products in other you tube video's, don't provide any evidence to me of a products durability against "real world" things that get on my paint.

Bird bombs and bug splatter,,,that sit on the paint for hours in the hot sun while I'm working. Will this product prevent etching? I don't know.

I've tried many of these SIO2 products, and for one you have to wipe on, Carpro Reload is unbeatable. I usually get 6-8 months from it. Never had anything etch the paint. Not once.

I do top Reload with a wash/protect SI02 product. This way I don't have to do any wiping on my car when it's dry. Wiping when dry creates a big opportunity to put micro scratches/swirls in your paint, so I do this as least as possible.

Again I'm not knocking this product, I just want to see real world protection, versus a torture test where something that is non-ph is applied to the paint for a minute or so, and then washed off.

As far as gloss goes, no product will ever create the amount of gloss polishing with a machine polisher does. It may somewhat enhance it, but the best shine comes from polishing.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:26 PM   #8
DonM
Camaro #4

I agree 100% that you have to machine polish your paint in order to get the finish the smoothest and glossiest possible. I had already polished my car with my Porter Cable before trying the Turtle Wax, so that's why I was surprised that the appearance was improved by the Seal N Shine.
As for the real world VS YouTube, when I like something, I tend to use it a lot - especially when they are as easy to use as the Seal N Shine, so it will practically always be at full strength. Will it hold up to insectile suicides and bird bombs? I don't know, but it's at least worth a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
Nothing against this product, I'm open minded to try any type of product that has durable protection, but the torture tests done here, and on many other products in other you tube video's, don't provide any evidence to me of a products durability against "real world" things that get on my paint.

Bird bombs and bug splatter,,,that sit on the paint for hours in the hot sun while I'm working. Will this product prevent etching? I don't know.

I've tried many of these SIO2 products, and for one you have to wipe on, Carpro Reload is unbeatable. I usually get 6-8 months from it. Never had anything etch the paint. Not once.

I do top Reload with a wash/protect SI02 product. This way I don't have to do any wiping on my car when it's dry. Wiping when dry creates a big opportunity to put micro scratches/swirls in your paint, so I do this as least as possible.

Again I'm not knocking this product, I just want to see real world protection, versus a torture test where something that is non-ph is applied to the paint for a minute or so, and then washed off.

As far as gloss goes, no product will ever create the amount of gloss polishing with a machine polisher does. It may somewhat enhance it, but the best shine comes from polishing.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:35 PM   #9
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
I agree 100% that you have to machine polish your paint in order to get the finish the smoothest and glossiest possible. I had already polished my car with my Porter Cable before trying the Turtle Wax, so that's why I was surprised that the appearance was improved by the Seal N Shine.
As for the real world VS YouTube, when I like something, I tend to use it a lot - especially when they are as easy to use as the Seal N Shine, so it will practically always be at full strength. Will it hold up to insectile suicides and bird bombs? I don't know, but it's at least worth a try.
I would like to know if it does hold up to bird bombs and bug splatter, if you happen to get these on your car, I'm sure you will at some point, please let us know!

Carpro also has a video on You Tube of the Reload doing a wash with Reset undiluted (10 ph), 5 washes with Megs APC (12 ph), and another with Spotless (4 ph....strong acid) and it holds through all 7. So there may be some validity to these tests.

But I'm not going to wash my car with Reset undiluted, or Megs APC undiluted, or Spotless, so even though it's somewhat impressive to look at, it still didn't prove what would happen if something highly acidic like a bird bomb or bug splatter sits on the paint for hours in the sun when it's 95*F outside, and my paint temp is 130*F.

Being that you have a black car, your paint will get even hotter. So your car is the "Ultimate" test for durability against acidic things and direct sunlight exposure.

Products that increase gloss do much better on a car that is polished for sure. It's like putting a really nice dress on a beautiful woman, she looks even better, but put the same dress on an ugly one, and she is still ugly.

I try to touch my paint the least amount possible when it's dry. I compounded it 4 years ago, and it's still swirl free. I do get very light wash marring over time, but finishing polish is all that is needed to get rid of it.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:59 AM   #10
Redgt03

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I am a huge fan of reload and elixir - I typically only use those on my coated vehicles though. I am using seal and shine to top my collinite 845 waxed vehicle - just something to add after each wash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post

Old 06-14-2019, 11:41 AM   #11
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Tried this product out today, (another rainy day...) and I too am impressed with the shine and ease of use. I was using Race Glaze spray and it smeared fairly easy compared the the Turtle product. Went on easy and wiped off just as easy. The only con...the Race Glaze had a better smell.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:46 AM   #12
DonM
Camaro #4

Last week, I put two coats on the Camaro. Yesterday, I drove it in the rain and while on the highway, the water couldn`t seem to fly off the hood fast enough - the car stayed practically dry the whole time I was up to speed. Today there were a few dirt marks from the road spray but little else. When I rinsed the car prior to washing it, there were no `dead spots` behind the wheels like you`d normally get after driving through the rain, it beaded up and ran off just like I had freshly waxed it.
Then when I started washing, I would pass the wash mitt over the surface and the soapy water (Meguiar`s Hyper-Wash) would almost immediately start to bead up. This isn`t a typical occurrence for me. Then I "flood rinsed" the car. At least 90% of the water ran off this way and I hardly had to wring out my microfiber drying towel while drying the car.

Full disclosure - there IS some "clouding" in areas that you can see at certain angles and light conditions, but I`m OK with it. The plus`s definitely outweigh a few smears, maybe two coats is too much? I honestly don`t care at this point.
Well, since it didn`t happen without pics, here are a few taken right after tonight`s wash. Yes, they`re in shade, but it`s in this light that I was able to see the smears.

Old 06-15-2019, 10:14 AM   #13
DonM
Camaro #4

UPDATE.....

KILLER COMBO!!!

I bought this a few hours ago and gave it a shot, remember the smears and clouding I just mentioned? Well kiss them goodbye! I followed the directions on the bottle of ICE Spray Detailer, mist on, wipe then flip the towel and buff ... and just like that, the streaks and clouding are gone ... all in less than 15 minutes.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:02 PM   #14
witenite

Drives: 2010 2SS non RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by witenite View Post
Thanks. I think I will give it a try.
I finally bought a bottle and used it this evening. I like it, easy to use. Good Stuff.
Attached Images