Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

View Poll Results: Do your brakes squeal?
Yes 45 65.22%
No 24 34.78%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2018, 07:57 AM   #113
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
SMH...
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:19 PM   #114
Kelli2011BadToTheBone2SS

Drives: 2011 2SS 444 Horse Power
I bought my 2SS at 5 years old one owner, it was perfect, with 21,500 miles on it (I think she was scared to drive it lol) everything was perfect until my 1st oil change and Brake job, brakes squeal, runs hotter and it ticks when I start it, GMC dealer (Cadillac Dealership) told me all SS Camaros squeal, I say BS!!!!! my Chevrolet dealership I take my car to said it was BS also, so in the 5 years she owned it she never had the brakes replaced ? I don't believe it, but then again I also believe Chevrolet is putting the wrong weight of oil in it because it hasn't been the same since it's first oil change after I bought it ..... Chevrolet HQ told me to try one more Dealership and if they will not listen to me about my car problems then they will get involved, my car came with Bumper to Bumper Warranty for the next 7 years.

so NO the brakes should not squeal
and NO your car shouldn't tick when you start it (incase anyone else does it)

I race my car that is why I bought it, it took me 5 months to find it, I had a list of what it had to have and I wasn't settling on anything that is going to cost me $30,000 that isn't going to be brand new, I do not like the new rear-ends, they do not look like my 1968 SS Camaro I had at 16, my 2011 reminds me of my 1968 just modified :-) right now I am at 444HP next week it will be 500HP then at the end of the year I hope to have a Supercharger put on it, its all about Speed with me!!
Old 02-14-2018, 03:10 PM   #115
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelli2011BadToTheBone2SS View Post
I bought my 2SS at 5 years old one owner, it was perfect, with 21,500 miles on it (I think she was scared to drive it lol) everything was perfect until my 1st oil change and Brake job, brakes squeal, runs hotter and it ticks when I start it, GMC dealer (Cadillac Dealership) told me all SS Camaros squeal, I say BS!!!!! my Chevrolet dealership I take my car to said it was BS also, so in the 5 years she owned it she never had the brakes replaced ? I don't believe it, but then again I also believe Chevrolet is putting the wrong weight of oil in it because it hasn't been the same since it's first oil change after I bought it ..... Chevrolet HQ told me to try one more Dealership and if they will not listen to me about my car problems then they will get involved, my car came with Bumper to Bumper Warranty for the next 7 years.

I race my car that is why I bought it, it took me 5 months to find it, I had a list of what it had to have and I wasn't settling on anything that is going to cost me $30,000 that isn't going to be brand new, I do not like the new rear-ends, they do not look like my 1968 SS Camaro I had at 16, my 2011 reminds me of my 1968 just modified :-) right now I am at 444HP next week it will be 500HP then at the end of the year I hope to have a Supercharger put on it, its all about Speed with me!!
Sorry, the brakes will squeal. It is the nature of the beast. Hard pad against an iron rotor. It is the single biggest complaint that Porsche, Audi, BMW deal with. In the GM lineup, it is the #1 complaint with Camaro and Corvette owners. How big an issue is it? Porsche made a video, Chevy put a mass damper on the caliper (sticky back wheel weights) and then a mass damper on the brake pads (roller skates).

I keep this handy to cut and paste because I answer so many questions about brake squeal and brake dust.

Brakes work by friction. The byproducts of brake friction are heat and dust. The better the brake pad, the dirtier and noisy they are. Racing brakes make the squeal of a screaming squealing pig sound like music and they make dust faster than Pig Pen in Peanuts.

There is no such thing as a pad that stops as well and yet by some magic makes less dust. I wish there were. 99.999% of the time most people will never ever need the ALL the power of the excellent pads supplied by Chevy for the 5th and 6th Gen Camaros. They are, in our opinion, the best combination street drive / light track pads available. Stepping down for less dust may never hurt you. However, should you ever be distracted while driving and need to stop before rear ending the car in front of you those few inches may be the difference between and accident and a close call. God forbid a child dart out between cars on a residential street when inches become life and death.

We are not being critical, just trying to be informative, and accurate among a sea of marketing and web based mis-information.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:50 PM   #116
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelli2011BadToTheBone2SS View Post

I have ~26500 on my 2011 and the brakes aren't halfway worn yet. So I can tell you the PO probably never had the brakes changed. Why did you? Most members of the forum write of having 50,000 miles before the Brembos are worn enough to warrant a pad change.

My brakes almost never squeal. I have the roller skates, and you should have had them as well. Maybe the dealer swapped them for 2010 pads.

I use the crap out of them. I scare passengers and surprise tailgators when I get so close to a red signal they have to brake before I do (I never have understood why they have to ride a bumper to a stop signal). When my brakes start to feel a bit soft I get up some speed and stomp them two or three times.

For the tick, IDK. Mine doesn't, never has. I've been using Mobil 1 5W30 as recommended by Chevy. I have an LS3 (manual trans). The L99 (auto) has different lifters for the DOD so maybe there is an issue if that's what you have. I have read of some owners having them replaced under warranty.

If you are going to look for work under warranty you might want to scale back your modifications. Once you have the ECU tuned the power train warranty will be void.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:27 AM   #117
wasthatacop?

Drives: 2010 2SS
Yes, mine squeal all the time

Mine brakes squeal loud when braking. Seems like its worse when rotors are warmed up. Pads have over 80% life in them. I even had the rotors resurfaced to help alleviate the problem. no luck.

I recently applied some caliper grease to brake piston side and cleaned my rotors with the specialty spray. I also put that stop squeal gel stuff on the friction side of all pads. This did not help.
wasthatacop? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:52 AM   #118
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
I had my pads replaced about 18 months ago. Only about 25-30k miles but all around town not much hwy miles. Rotors were still perfect though....Mine have always made some squealing on light braking but its no big deal. I usually hit them hard a few times and it stops for a while. But it comes back & I repeat the hard stop thing again.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:23 PM   #119
guitarsjb

Drives: 2014 SS Camaro Coupe
Brembos glaze over with "regular" use. With a few hard stops, it will stop. They will glaze back over with time, yep, more hard stops and it's good. Rinse and repeat.
guitarsjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:49 PM   #120
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
Do your squeal when accelerating, even if your foot is off the brake? I'm going through a similar issue:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521632

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:52 AM   #121
Boba Vette

Drives: 68 GTO, 85 TA, 94 TA, 99 TA,10 Gen5
2010 SS here and I've had my car for 4 years ~40k miles. NEVER a squeal! NEVER! Just got all 4 rotors and pads replaced, now CONSTANT squeal at low speed. IT SUCKS!

Cute Porsche video. I don't think anyone on the street cares that Porsche has a problem/video, even if you had it broadcasted it from your car 24/7. People just see this Camaro letting out a noise their car doesn't. It's like you might as well have cans tied to the back of your car.

It's ridiculous.

What are these "roller skates"?
Old 09-06-2018, 11:35 AM   #122
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Vette View Post
2010 SS here and I've had my car for 4 years ~40k miles. NEVER a squeal! NEVER! Just got all 4 rotors and pads replaced, now CONSTANT squeal at low speed. IT SUCKS!

Cute Porsche video. I don't think anyone on the street cares that Porsche has a problem/video, even if you had it broadcasted it from your car 24/7. People just see this Camaro letting out a noise their car doesn't. It's like you might as well have cans tied to the back of your car.

It's ridiculous.

What are these "roller skates"?
See attached Image, this is what comes stock on the 5th gen Brembo brakes.
Attached Images

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:50 PM   #123
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
A bit of squealing on light braking, which went away after maybe 20,000 miles. Why is this a problem?

I expect that when I get new brakes, the squealing will recur. And so what? It's not a malfunction. The rotors have no wavy or otherwise uneven wear. There's no pulsing or grabbing. The Brembos work great, best brakes ever.

Its just not a problem!!!
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:38 AM   #124
napster11

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2014 RS
Brakes Squeaks

Hi guys, my brake usually squeaks when i just started driving and hit the brakes. But later on it disappears, is this normal? anyone had the same experience? I'm driving a 2014 LT coupe
napster11 is offline   Reply With Quote