Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-29-2018, 01:01 PM   #43
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurshot View Post
At or above 200 mph, you'll lose downforce if you don't replace it, allowing the car to lift off the ground and flip.
Planes take off at 150 MPH
Old 09-29-2018, 01:51 PM   #44
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurshot View Post
At or above 200 mph, you'll lose downforce if you don't replace it, allowing the car to lift off the ground and flip.

I drove my car over 200 mph numerous times before installing my splitter, and never an issue.... The car does feel more planted now, and the overall goal is more traction allowing for harder acceleration while balancing it with higher top speeds....

Ride height sensors at all four corners and data logging allows for determining where to add or remove both bite with the splitter and downforce with the rear spoiler as needed....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:22 PM   #45
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
So just for my knowledge how do the 4x4 blocks work to prevent damage to them? This is my first car in years, always been a Chevy truck guy.

God forbid i ever need to use it but just in case...
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:55 PM   #46
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstuntman View Post
So just for my knowledge how do the 4x4 blocks work to prevent damage to them? This is my first car in years, always been a Chevy truck guy.

God forbid i ever need to use it but just in case...
This goes back to the sling style wreckers where there were two reinforced rubber slings that were used to prevent stratches to bumpers.... They didn't work well on front ends like the Corvettes of the late 70's in addition to other models of cars. Referring to cars that no longer had a steel front bumper not covered by a vinyl or rubber style of cover like the 5th Gen.

A 4X4 was placed under the front end, along the bottom of the frame rails and the J hooks, or T hooks were pulled tight so the car rested on the 4X4 under the frame horns/rails rather than on the slings across the front bumper cover.... It created a cradle between the wrecker tailboard frame and the J hooks keeping weight off the front fascia....

The same theory could be applied to the modern 5th Gen with the cheap plastic air dam.... A 4X4 could be used to try to prevent this contact, with the exception that there are almost no sling type of wreckers still on the road, at least not for daily use....

Most wreckers are Eagle Claw wheel lift types, flat beds, or hybrids of those.... There is no reason to carry a 4X 4 in the trunk of a 5th gen with regards to the little air dam, at least not in my opinion.... Even using a hoist to pull a car up onto a flat bed is little risk to this plastic piece.... I pulled my car up onto my trailer with a winch many times prior to removing the air dam to install the splitter.... Never had any damage...

A small 6" 2X4 would accomplish the same thing.... Hook up the tow sling, place the block either right in front of or behind the air dam along the frame rail and it'll prevent touching it....

Below is a picture showing the theory, though this is a very poorly set up lift. I would have an additional 4X4 further back under the front end.... or even better a 6x6 not as wide and further back, behind the air dam. You can however see how the J hook chains are not along the bottom of the front underpinnings such as a plastic air dam....This style of set up kept the painted fascias from being scratched or marred.... I would also shorten the chains from the lift bar to the top of the sling frame.... This allows more clearance between the front painted surfaces and the slings....
Attached Images

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:16 AM   #47
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Thanks, that makes sense now.

I'm not impressed with disassembling my front end to mount one of the race style tow hooks and I've got the urge to run it up on the ramps and look around for a better design to mount one i fab up.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote