Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 07-10-2010, 05:48 AM   #1
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
So I thought I'd get a 4th gen...any advice?

I've finally been able to get work since a few months back and my economy is approaching stabile again. But sadly not stabile enough to afford a 5th gen in the near future as I had originally hoped. BUT! There is probably a good change of saving up and getting a 4th gen! I still like the 4th gen a lot and they're pretty cheap around here.

So I'm looking at a 98-02 model, Z28 or SS, coupe, manual and I'd like to get once with cruise control and audio controls on the steering wheel. Now I'm not looking at having a deal or anything offered me over here, but I'd like to ask if there's anything I should think about when looking at the cars? Or is it just basically like with other cars, low mileage, good condition and service and so on?

How mod-friendly is the interior? I'm not totally friends with the steering wheel without the audio controls, but is it easy to replace it with another steering wheel? A friend of mine suggested I'd get a 5th gen steering wheel since I love that, but disregarding the fact that I think it would look out of place, would it work technically?

Oh and also, this would totally be the summer/fun car. I have my trusty Saab for now as the practical car.

And advice I can get is appreciated, thanks!
Old 07-10-2010, 06:05 AM   #2
Fotowns Finest
Harbinger of Doom

Drives: "Marolyn"
It indeed would be interesting to see the 5th gen steering wheel in a 4th gen, could be real sexy for all we know.

You should go for it. I enjoy the hell out of mine
Fotowns Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:36 AM   #3
Wilburbeest
Think With Your Dipstick!

Drives: 1997 Camaro Z28
I can't really think of anything inparticular to check for on an LS1 that you wouldn't look for on any other engine. If you're mechanically inclined you already know what to look for. As for the steering wheel, I dunno about a 5th gen wheel in a 4th gen. I can't imagine it looking anywhere near right but if you wanna try it go for it! If its just that you hate the look of the wheel with no radio controls for some reason but would be ok not having them maybe consider a MOMO wheel? Other than that, get one and have fun! I know its not a 5th gen, but its still a fun as hell car that's fast enough to make you look like this guy ===>

1997 Camaro Z28 (LT1/T56): K&N CAI | Kooks 1 3/4" LTs | 3" Custom Duals | UMI LCAs w/ relocation brackets | UMI adj. panhard bar | UMI adj. torque arm | Koni SA shocks | Strano Springs | Ram Powergrip clutch | Pro 5.0 shifter | skip shift eliminator kit | WS6 Store rotors | Hawk HPS pads
Wilburbeest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:46 AM   #4
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
I'm okay with the look of the wheel with radio controls in the 4th gen, but I'd rather have a 3-spoke wheel. Why the 5th gen wheel is under consideration is because I'm a big guy and it fits very well in my hands. I can live without radio controls, but I'd rather have them if I can.

Also on that subject, is it hard to change the stereo? I'd like to get a nice audio setup with like an aux/USB in.

Thanks for the input so far guys, keep it coming!
Old 07-10-2010, 07:37 AM   #5
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
Can't help you in the visual departments...what are your plans performance wise?
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:37 AM   #6
Great White
Got Teeth

Drives: A powerful ally; a dangerous enemy
If you want the steering wheel with radio controls, get a 00+ model. If you want the overall best peforming ones, get the 01/02 model. They came with the LS6 intake. Also, look over the sail panel(black roof part) to see if there is any waves in the paint or bubbling. Some cars had a problem with that and required replacing the sail panel.

Great White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #7
Blownhotrodder

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
You can get an ls6 intake for 300 or so and have it on in less than 1 hour so dont let that stop you.
Blownhotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:31 AM   #8
White_Knuckle_Tight

Drives: 2001 Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emher View Post
I'm okay with the look of the wheel with radio controls in the 4th gen, but I'd rather have a 3-spoke wheel. Why the 5th gen wheel is under consideration is because I'm a big guy and it fits very well in my hands. I can live without radio controls, but I'd rather have them if I can.

Also on that subject, is it hard to change the stereo? I'd like to get a nice audio setup with like an aux/USB in.

Thanks for the input so far guys, keep it coming!
As far as the Stereo stuff, 4th gens are simple. That was before the era of having to gut half the car and retune to change out the radio. All you gotta do is take it out, and pop a new one in. No serious dash removal, or having to worry about messing anything up.
White_Knuckle_Tight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:15 PM   #9
redracer1
I Feel The Need For Speed

Drives: 2002 35th Anniversary SS/LE
If you can I'd look for '00-'02. Why, as with any newer model there's some upgraded parts vs the '98-99 models, not a lot but ls6 intake and no egr and some stronger bolts are a couple. The SS has larger sway bars, also. Far as the stereo goes it's difficult to just upgrade, the amp is wofully inadequate and the speakers are worse and to just upgrade them will not improve the sound quality much. It's better to replace the hole thing which means you'll loose the steering wheel controls unless you get the kit installed with it so you can still use them.

4th gens on the other hand are a modders wet dream, soooooo many parts out there to choose from and they respond very very well to well researched parts. Funny things is no Camaro 4th gen owner ever feared any Mustang GT even with an 8 yr old platform. Only untill 2011 has Ford finally built a GT that might beat a stock 4th gen.
2002 35th Anniversary Camaro SS/LE #30
2001 Brickyard 400 Track Car#10 SLP#101
http://www.socalmuscle.net/ http://www.losangelesinvasion.com/
redracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:56 PM   #10
White_Knuckle_Tight

Quote:
Originally Posted by redracer1 View Post
If you can I'd look for '00-'02. Why, as with any newer model there's some upgraded parts vs the '98-99 models, not a lot but ls6 intake and no egr and some stronger bolts are a couple. The SS has larger sway bars, also. Far as the stereo goes it's difficult to just upgrade, the amp is wofully inadequate and the speakers are worse and to just upgrade them will not improve the sound quality much. It's better to replace the hole thing which means you'll loose the steering wheel controls unless you get the kit installed with it so you can still use them.

4th gens on the other hand are a modders wet dream, soooooo many parts out there to choose from and they respond very very well to well researched parts. Funny things is no Camaro 4th gen owner ever feared any Mustang GT even with an 8 yr old platform. Only untill 2011 has Ford finally built a GT that might beat a stock 4th gen.

...I forgot about the steering wheel controls, lol
Old 07-10-2010, 02:05 PM   #11
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFord View Post
Can't help you in the visual departments...what are your plans performance wise?
Stock for a while at least. Going from a 192 hp FWD 4-cylinder Sedan so the difference with be staggering to begin with, don't want to kill myslef right away

First thing will probably be exhaust and air intake, and then some more poermance upgrades. What I do not want to do is turbo or supercharge it. Going for naturally aspirated all the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knuckle_Tight View Post
As far as the Stereo stuff, 4th gens are simple. That was before the era of having to gut half the car and retune to change out the radio. All you gotta do is take it out, and pop a new one in. No serious dash removal, or having to worry about messing anything up.
Great to know. Got one that's built into the dash in my Saab and would love to change it to something better, but can't :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by redracer1 View Post

Good to know, will try and get the 00-02s then at least. Would like to get an SS, but main thing is V8 so if I get a great deal on Z28 I'll take that.

As for the stereo, yes it would be a proper replacement in that case. There's a local company that does great work for decent money, so I'd be using them for it. And that's good to know about the wheel radio controls, means I'm not as dependent on getting one with them already then and can get a new wheel while I'm at it and have it installed at the same time.

And I actually considered the Mustang for a bit but decided not to since 1) it's more expensive, and 2) I didn't want to let the Camaro team down
Old 07-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #12
White_Knuckle_Tight

Quote:
Great to know. Got one that's built into the dash in my Saab and would love to change it to something better, but can't :/
Well you can, but it's quite a bit harder. They make aftermarket dash kits to do that. But sometimes the hazards or climate controls are built into the radio unit so you gotta buy some other stuff too. Just google it, I know you'll find something. But believe me, it's not cheap
Old 07-10-2010, 03:12 PM   #13
Emher
Pillaging Viking

That's sort of the thing, my Saab works and is okay on the economy but I know I will try and replace it pretty soon. So not going to put much work into it.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:52 PM   #14
ImportImage

Drives: 2012 GTR, 2009 GTR
Send a message via AIM to ImportImage
What do you want to do with the car? drag, street etc...

the 98's didn't have probalems with the sail pannel, and also have a larger cam than most ls1's. their computers suck compared to the 99+.

99- decent but no ls6 manifold
00- same
01- ls6 intake is a huge plus, but the rings sucked and sail pannel problems- I have one and it has the problem, and is expensive to fix correctly- have had my top redone twice now. still bubbles- it is the 3mm glue that is the problem.
02- same as above but have different piston rings that hold together much better.

Almost all ls1's in the 4th gen burn oil, check the color of the oil, tranny fluid- especially if it is a auto, and rear end fluid. If there is a noise coming from the rear- most likely the rear is going to need some work- 12 bolt if auto 9 in. if 6spd- both are around 2,500-3,300.

if you have any questions just pm me and I can point you in the right direction.
ImportImage is offline   Reply With Quote