Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-22-2014, 05:09 PM   #15
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
OP adding long tubes and tuning won't necessarily void your warranty. They must prove that they caused the part(s) to fail.
I've had my calipers and an electrical issue get fixed under warranty after I had Lt's, vararam, catback and tune. I've been full boltons and tuned 10 weeks after delivery in 2010. No issues. There's parts for Ls3/99's everywhere! These motors have been around since 2008.
Next question, are you ready to pay to play?

If so GO FOR it and make your Camaro the way YOU want it. Full boltons and cam that biach.

Are you L99 or Ls3?
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:28 PM   #16
usnatclee

Drives: '12 2SS/RS, '13 Vette, '13 Wrangler
Voiding warranty is worth it. Just make sure you have extra money to repair things if they break.
2012 Camaro Ashen Grey Metallic 2SS/RS "Timberwolf". Custom exhaust, RX oil catch can and oil breather, CAI inc intake, SLP 160* thermostat, TSP 2" LT headers w/ off road pipes, custom cam, tuned. 467rwhp 450rwtq.

2013 Corvette Torch Red LS3. 378rwhp/375rwtq SAE corrected, tuned.

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!
usnatclee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:37 PM   #17
lynxone

Drives: 2012 2ss 45th anniversary edition
If you're having issues with the motor, waiting until you're confident the problem is solved first is a prudent plan. How long to wait though is really hard to say. I barely had my car in the driveway before I started modding. And, as luck would have it, I ended up having a problem with my oil pressure that was a factory fault. I had already modded the car with long tube headers, a supercharger, tune, cold air intake etc...

Now, at that point, I probably could've still had it fixed under warranty, because nothing I had done had anything to do with the oil pressure. But, after doing a lot of reading, I figured it was a faulty oil pump as many have experienced. I made the decision that I wanted to upgrade to a melling high pressure pump anyways, so I installed the pump myself. After finishing, I nearly had a panic attack because the car STILL didn't make any oil pressure. I was seriously regretting my decisions because now, I've messed with the oil system and surely they will void my warranty.

I finally found the problem (they had bent the oil pick up tube when the car was built), and I was able to fix it but it sure would've been nice to have made gm fix THEIR faulty problem. The good news is, I was able to fix it and it wasn't terribly expensive and was a great learning experience.

Ultimately, the decision is yours and really depends on your comfort level. With the modifications I've made, I now have the dream car I've always wanted and I enjoy the hell out of it. I wouldn't have been happy waiting for years to make the car the way I wanted just because I was worried about the warranty.

Just my $.02

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2014, 06:17 PM   #18
NoleLife

Drives: 2013 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitrim View Post
Most likely a bad batch of lifters.
Congrats, you have made me worried all over again lol.

Ugh....

What, mechanically, would cause them to not pump up? Would it be a fault with the lifter itself, fixed by replacing the lifter (though, they replaced the lifter according to the service report and the problem came back) or could there be a flaw in the structure of the heads causing it?

Last edited by NoleLife; 02-22-2014 at 09:19 PM.
NoleLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #19
Mr. Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 RS/SS Rally Yellow & 68 SS
Good luck with that LOL
AS OF 1/29/16 @ 633 RWHP=10.10@136
TOPED 700 PASSES AFTER F.I. AND STILL ON THE ORIGIANAL STOCK AXLE & DIFF
Mr. Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #20
Dimitrim
Dimitri

Drives: 68 GTO 455 Ram Air; 2014 Camaro ZL1
Have No 5 leak down tested. It's possible you have a exhaust valve not seating correctly. While you are at it I would have a leak down test on all 8 cylinders from a non GM mechanic. It's good cheap insurance. Maybe 2 hours labor no parts.
Dimitrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:12 PM   #21
NoleLife

Drives: 2013 2SS M6
I may do that. There's a guy here in town, who owns a performance shop, who has been working on LS motors for years. I had them put on my axle back (It was a work day, and I wanted them on ASAP so I had it done over lunch rather than doing it myself) and while it was running he said it sounded fine at that time, but if there were ever issues again to bring it in.

I'll call them up monday and let him know that I want to bring it in to have a leak down test done.
NoleLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:20 PM   #22
Dimitrim
Dimitri

Drives: 68 GTO 455 Ram Air; 2014 Camaro ZL1
Good luck....
Dimitrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:15 PM   #23
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Just do it and enjoy it (after you figure out what the noise is) I currently have a tune, CAI, PTB and exhaust now, adding LTH later this week and a HP tune next month. My Camaro is a 2011 with 17k miles. If you go with a good shop you shouldn't have any issues. A friend and I are installing the headers and I'm having a highly recommended shop do the tune. Its about an hour and a half drive but well worth it for the right place. Good luck

Last edited by angie7; 02-22-2014 at 11:24 PM.
angie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:22 PM   #24
Front Runner

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Gray Metallic SS
Since you're worried about it, it would be best for you to wait and have all your issues fixed under warranty (if they will do it). Afterwards, mod your car when it is problem free (factory wise).

2016 Nightfall Gray Camaro SS
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:26 AM   #25
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
I agree. It sounds like this is going to stress you out more than its worth.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:08 AM   #26
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Although I've never seen a car with bolt ons fail, I do see several local tuners numb the knock sensors to add more HP to a dyno numbers. They like to advertise for high dyno numbers. I'd rather calibrate and keep it safety.
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:20 AM   #27
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleLife View Post
Thanks for the feedback Chase! I have done a fair bit of research on this and have read all of your posts (including the "Will this void my warranty" one) and they are packed full of great information, so I've got to extend many thanks. I remember your write-up about a tune not strictly voiding it, but on the flip side if the valve train does have issues, fails, and causes the engine to blow (obviously worst case scenario) wouldn't it be too easy for GM to say the tune was causing the engine to run lean or this or that, and not cover the engine replacement?

I'm approaching this from the stand point of, I'll accept having to replace gaskets, or heads, or accessories, but I would really rather not put myself in a place where I have to replace the block or rotating assembly. Could I? Sure - but I'd rather not at this point haha.

I think I am siding more towards the LTs side at this point though.

As far as GM, if I had too, I can be a hard ass. But they have lawyers on retainer and if I wanted to fight them and they weren't going to cave easily then it could be very expensive in the long run. I feel like they want to make it seem like if you tune you void the warranty so not everyone does it. That way they don't have to pay to fix the engines of the people who do go to Joe-Shmoe and get a shitty tune.

As far as the headers: How about deese?
http://www.phastekperformance.com/St...lt-headers.htm

Edit: I've also looked at the BBK system with off-road pipes. Are they comparable to the Stainless Power?
Glad that you have found those threads helpful. Yes, IF those sorts of issues came up then they could point to the tune. That is part of the math you have to figure out for yourself. At this point what is the likelihood of _________ happening? What is your risk tolerance? Don't do anything you are not comfortable with but with the miles you have and the mods you are considering I don't think you have much to worry about in regards to the block and rotating assembly. You always have the option of going with the Solo high flow cats and forgetting about tuning. If you don't like them, sell them in the member classified section.

The Stainless Power headers are very nice, better than BBK, but you are shopping for them on the wrong website. In my opinion Stainless Power is the best bang for your buck long tube option for these cars.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:31 AM   #28
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Hey Chase, what would you say is the 'danger window' on mileage? I am at about 6,000 miles and wondering if I should wait a while to get LT and tune.
6000 miles is well beyond the break in but still a pretty fresh engine. For me, I feel pretty comfortable after 10,000-15,000 miles that if there were an existing defect that it would have shown itself and am willing to take responsibility from there. It is just a question of risk tolerance for each individual.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote