Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 03-16-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
OL'TIGER

Drives: Black 2014 2SS/RS
Throttle Response Hesitation

I have a 2014 SS automatic with most of the toys on it and about 8K miles. No mods. I absolutely LOVE this car! One minor thing that is a little annoying at times. It seems that when leaving a stop sign/light in normal driving, there is often a momentary lag in throttle response for about the first 1/2 in. or so of pedal travel, then the engine responds a bit more than I intended for the traffic situation. Makes it hard to take off briskly, but with good smooth control. I haven't taken it in to the dealer yet. Is this a common characteristic or can it be fixed with a PCM update or sensor swap, aftermarket tune, etc.? Anyone had a similar issue? Thanks in advance for any advice.
OL'TIGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:51 PM   #2
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
if you have a vacuum assisted secondary, you want to check the vacuum can and hoses. maybe a hose is off or the can is cracked. If it's an electric choke you might need to re-set it due to the warmer weather anyway, so do that while you're under there. Then check to see if your secondaries are allowing fuel to pool, and then rebuild the accelerator pump in your carbure....oh wait.

is traction control influencing this?
Old 03-16-2014, 04:57 PM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
if you have a vacuum assisted secondary, you want to check the vacuum can and hoses. maybe a hose is off or the can is cracked. If it's an electric choke you might need to re-set it due to the warmer weather anyway, so do that while you're under there. Then check to see if your secondaries are allowing fuel to pool, and then rebuild the accelerator pump in your carbure....oh wait.

is traction control influencing this?

The L99s are kind of known for slow throttle response. Induction upgrades, specifically the throttle body, tend to improve it. Tuning can help as well but you will probably want to avoid that for a while with a brand new car.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:29 PM   #4
FishirOne

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
throttle body?
do tell...
FishirOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:15 PM   #5
usnatclee

Drives: '12 2SS/RS, '13 Vette, '13 Wrangler
Its called AFM. The lag is your car changing from 4 to 8 cylinders. Mine did it too until I tuned AFM out.
2012 Camaro Ashen Grey Metallic 2SS/RS "Timberwolf". Custom exhaust, RX oil catch can and oil breather, CAI inc intake, SLP 160* thermostat, TSP 2" LT headers w/ off road pipes, custom cam, tuned. 467rwhp 450rwtq.

2013 Corvette Torch Red LS3. 378rwhp/375rwtq SAE corrected, tuned.

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!
usnatclee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:49 PM   #6
OL'TIGER

Drives: Black 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by usnatclee View Post
Its called AFM. The lag is your car changing from 4 to 8 cylinders. Mine did it too until I tuned AFM out.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a plausible explanation. I'm guessing my fuel mileage would go down the crapper after tuning the AFM out. Unfortunately, since the car is my DD, that is somewhat important to me.

As the gentleman from the 1960's suggested, could traction control be an issue? I'll try turning it off and see how it affects response.
OL'TIGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:08 PM   #7
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
It's burst knock.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:13 PM   #8
Gelugon

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by OL'TIGER View Post
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a plausible explanation. I'm guessing my fuel mileage would go down the crapper after tuning the AFM out.
The mpg difference with the AFM turned off is not much of a difference. it depends on your driving habits. some people say they have seen an increase in mpg with AFM turned off. My milage stayed about the same with it off, but the throttle response is night and day diff. The best part is no more farting sound when the AFM kicks in, I hated that sound.

Gelugon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:22 PM   #9
djcfuzz
Do somethin fun every day

Drives: 2012 45th V6 RS M6
After checking hoses as suggested my vote is for a VMAX CNC ported throttle body. No tune and if you keep your stock throttle body you can always take it back to stock, for the extra $ of course.
djcfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:19 AM   #10
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Get the V-Max TB and get a CAI cold air intake. That will help out allot.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:28 AM   #11
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
I don't think it's AFM causing this but regardless, you should get the Range AFM disable device. Best $200 you can spend on a SS/L99 - and it won't void warranty and you can unplug it in a second, should you ever actually want AFM activated.

I do think a V-Max CNC throttle body would help, if not cure, your situation (another well spent $150). Perhaps a fuse pull is in order as well.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:40 AM   #12
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
ported throttle body took care of that problem in my V6.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:52 AM   #13
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: ZL1 19 White; Jeep 5.7 GC 15
I know that AFM virus is common in L99, what is the best tune available now to disable it and gives the best performance overall.

I dont have a plan to add mods to my car.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:58 AM   #14
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OL'TIGER View Post
I have a 2014 SS automatic with most of the toys on it and about 8K miles. No mods. I absolutely LOVE this car! One minor thing that is a little annoying at times. It seems that when leaving a stop sign/light in normal driving, there is often a momentary lag in throttle response for about the first 1/2 in. or so of pedal travel, then the engine responds a bit more than I intended for the traffic situation. Makes it hard to take off briskly, but with good smooth control. I haven't taken it in to the dealer yet. Is this a common characteristic or can it be fixed with a PCM update or sensor swap, aftermarket tune, etc.? Anyone had a similar issue? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Which toys exactly do you have?

Some will cause problems without Proper Custom tuning, which JRE can provide.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote