Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-09-2014, 09:14 AM   #1
Slader R.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
LS3 Valve train noise with Comp Cam

Hey everyone, recently got a Comp Cam kit installed by Vette tech in Katy, Texas.(Great guys btw) Cam kit is 112 LSA .644 intake and .613 exhaust... Had the car for about a week now and hearing a tapping/ticking sound coming from the drivers side top end.. Possible Rocker Arm/Lifter? Car runs great.. no misfire or anything.. noise is not real loud but I can hear it at idle.. Had the car checked out by the owner of the shop and he said as long as it doesn't get louder It should be ok. Just wanted some input from ya'll. Thanks!
Slader R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:27 AM   #2
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
These LSx engines didnt get nicknamed 'singer sewing machine' for no reason. They are noisy from the start......add headers and a cam and you can start your own sweat shop. Its normal, enjoy!
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:56 AM   #3
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
Did you change any other valvetrain parts? Depending on how agressive the cam is, you may need to change some of the other parts to match it, although I'm sure the people you had do your install would be well aware of that requirement.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:08 AM   #4
Slader R.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Thanks for the replies. I'm running a pretty safe tune considering its my daily driver at the moment. I have read on quite a few other forums and post now stating that basically these engines just like to sing.. making ticks, tocks, and taps... the shop has done quite a few of these kits and said some have been pretty loud in the valve train area but run just fine.. so I guess time will tell.. just annoying to hear a light tap/tick coming from one area only.. Gonna check the rocker arms this weekend and correct them if necessary.
Slader R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:35 PM   #5
usnatclee

Drives: '12 2SS/RS, '13 Vette, '13 Wrangler
Mine sounds like a sewing machine. Runs good with 5k on the cam. No issues.
2012 Camaro Ashen Grey Metallic 2SS/RS "Timberwolf". Custom exhaust, RX oil catch can and oil breather, CAI inc intake, SLP 160* thermostat, TSP 2" LT headers w/ off road pipes, custom cam, tuned. 467rwhp 450rwtq.

2013 Corvette Torch Red LS3. 378rwhp/375rwtq SAE corrected, tuned.

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!
usnatclee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:40 PM   #6
Stealthpanda
Thread Ender

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slader R. View Post
Hey everyone, recently got a Comp Cam kit installed by Vette tech in Katy, Texas.(Great guys btw) Cam kit is 112 LSA .644 intake and .613 exhaust... Had the car for about a week now and hearing a tapping/ticking sound coming from the drivers side top end.. Possible Rocker Arm/Lifter? Car runs great.. no misfire or anything.. noise is not real loud but I can hear it at idle.. Had the car checked out by the owner of the shop and he said as long as it doesn't get louder It should be ok. Just wanted some input from ya'll. Thanks!
Sounds legit. I have had my SS for a month now, and got worried about a similar sound (No headers or cam yet, though) and did some reading and read the same phrase. LS engine tick apparently. No worries.
Stealthpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:35 AM   #7
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthpanda View Post
Sounds legit. I have had my SS for a month now, and got worried about a similar sound (No headers or cam yet, though) and did some reading and read the same phrase. LS engine tick apparently. No worries.

I believe the ticking your talking about is the injectors. I think the OP is talking about something different.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:48 AM   #8
ackeight

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS
Watch out. It could be your cam. Comp cams has been coming under fire here lately.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361445
Old 06-10-2014, 11:50 AM   #9
BooSSted

Drives: 2017 Z06 / 2012 CTS
Did you do headers etc??? They can amplify valvetrain noise
Old 06-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #10
zim2323

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 2SS/RS 1LE
Stainless works LT headers and Lingenfelter head/cam package in my 2005 GTO. The thing sounded like it was going to tick itself apart. LOL Yup, they're noisy. The guy that bought it works at a Best Buy close to me and I see it a couple times a week. Spoke to the new owner and said it's still running strong with almost 60k miles on that setup. It's definitely a worrisome sound until you get used to it and accept it.
zim2323 is offline   Reply With Quote