Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-25-2015, 11:26 AM   #43
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose517 View Post
might seem like a dumb question but cars totally stock, gonna get CAI soon and was thinking about just getting a bo at the same time, pointless to do now since i've got nothing else or is it worth doing it now as well, i know its such an easy swap but i figure while i'm ripping apart intake the throttle body might be worth doing at the same time
I ran my car for a while with just the ADM intake and noticed an improvement.

Then a month or so later I got a Vmax (Bo is top notch too) and again I noticed an improvement throttle response improved and bucking while in first while cruising a parking lot went away.

Few months later I got my Pfadt LT'S and ran it for a week or so until I got in to see Jeremy Formato for a tune.

Moral of the story is you can do it incrimentaly or all at once let your wallet and time dictate.

That combo with the factory NPP put down about 435HP/425TQ.

It's ALL worth it.

The primary reason I went with a Vmax is because they are local and he had a brand new one he held for me. I installed mine in the parking lot.

You can't go wrong with BO's TB either.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2015, 11:33 AM   #44
moose517

Drives: 2013 1SS
thats what i figured! Probably gonna be what i do then hehe!
moose517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:36 AM   #45
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
I have the BW TB and I do from time to time get the reduced power code for throttle position sensor. I have to turn the car off and sit for about 5 mins and its OK after that. Someone has told me to buy a new throttle controller and swap it out and that will fix the problem. Nothing worse than going around a corner and go into reduced power. Hope I can coast into a parking lot.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:56 AM   #46
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
What's a tooner? Lol
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:30 PM   #47
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR ZL1 View Post
I have the BW TB and I do from time to time get the reduced power code for throttle position sensor. I have to turn the car off and sit for about 5 mins and its OK after that. Someone has told me to buy a new throttle controller and swap it out and that will fix the problem. Nothing worse than going around a corner and go into reduced power. Hope I can coast into a parking lot.
Put a code reader in the car and you just have to get pulled over, clear the code, and your on your way.

If Bo's TBs are creating a conflict between the TPS and MAF, wouldn't that mean they are flowing more air and isn't that the point. I would think you could tune for it.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:41 PM   #48
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo White View Post
The problem with the stock TB is its restrictive.
So who's TB are you using?

Old 04-25-2015, 01:09 PM   #49
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
A GM TB I ported.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:12 PM   #50
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
What's a tooner? Lol
http://fineartamerica.com/featured/y...ason-hunt.html

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:39 PM   #51
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik1985 View Post
Any other vendors sell the Bo White TB and accept core return?
I'm the only one that does currently. Quite a few people are patiently waiting for a core exchange deal, but at the end of the day, Bo is only one man and can only do so much at a time.

That said, these GM throttle bodies are MASS PRODUCED. There is always going to be some variance to them stock right out of the box. Some cars that roll off the line are on the ragged edge of running even with a stock tb.

That said, $#!7 happens. You're modifying a STOCK part to perform better than it normally would. Get a TB that's on the ragged edge of the mass produced variance port the crap out of it and you're bound to get a failure every now and then.

I've had maybe 5 "bad" BW units that have been reported in almost a year of selling them. If someone has a problem we are both (Bo or myself) quick to rectify the situation. Generally a replacement ported BW is sent out and the problem is solved. We get the "bad" units back and test them on our personal cars. To date, out of all the "bad" units that have come back, only ONE was truly A DEAD unit. Once tested to be ok the other "bad" units that don't agree with a certain car are sent somewhere else (generally local to Bo so he can keep an eye on them) and NO ONE has had a problem with them...

I've read of this reduced power problem happening a handful of times even with this CNC ported VMAX!!! Its a modified STOCK part, it's bound to happen. And at that, I've read of more problems with the car being put into reduced power mode with that Cracker Jack electronic throttle device than problems with both the BW or VMAX throttle bodies combined!

That's my .02

Last edited by Jason@JacFab; 04-25-2015 at 01:50 PM.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:45 PM   #52
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Add aggressive porting to that...
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:48 PM   #53
steakmaker

Drives: '10 Camaro SS,Jeep Commander Hemi
VTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Everything I've heard about Bo and/or Vmax has been top notch. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I got a VMax right after buying my car and it certainly makes a difference.

However, if I had it to do over I'd get a Vitesse Throttle Controller first ($175) and see if that does the job for you. I'm not knocking the PTBs, but the VTC delivers terrific results in throttle response.
Same here,I'd get the VTC first,The kick in the butt you get from the VTC may be all you need, I haven't tried #9 setting yet , just installed it this AM got as far as #7 setting so far. You will absolutely LOVE it !!
steakmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:53 PM   #54
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
Dollar for dollar , the best bang for the buck mod I have done to my car is the Bo White ported TB.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:54 PM   #55
BFASTNOTLAST

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
I will add to this thread that the BW PTB was a significant difference in response to the V-max. I also had them both on the dyno. Unfortunately I did not keep the sheet there was 3 or 4 hp difference in the two with BW making more. 3 to 4 hp in a 4000lb car you are not going to feel and you are only kidding yourself if you think so, but the response is where it's at. Take this for what it's worth but I would highly recommend BW. Never met the guy, but he is damn good at what he does.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:04 PM   #56
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
I have a VTC. Had to disconnect it. Used it for a month daily driving without any issue. SP5 or 6. Anything higher and the throttle was too sensitive and made the car sort of "surgy" like when you have a big cam on an auto trans car and not enough stall speed rating on the tq converter. Then one day i got out on an open industrial street and played around with 2016 mustang for a bit. Disabled all traction control and everything. We did one short pass through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear. I Shifted from 3rd to 4th at 6200rpms and coasted down once i got into 4th. When i came to a complete stop, all my dash lit up. "Service Stabilitrak", ABS light, Traction Control. But NO CEL. Took it to the dealer and said the electronic brake module was bad. Car drove fine, no issues at all except my dash was lit up. The next week i went with a buddy of mine to get his vette tuned and while i was there, his tuner told me that hes seen VTC's cause this in the past on other customers' cars. He explained to me that the ABS on these cars works in conjunction with the traction control system and requires that the signal from/to the throttle to be consistent with what it expects it to be in order to be able to safely (without causing harm to the engine) control the throttle valve in order to reduce engine speed to ultimately reduce/prevent wheelspin. He almost assured me that was my issue and that i just hadnt noticed it since i hadnt done anything close to a pass like i did the day the lights came on where the signal from the WOT accelerator position finally raised a red flag to the BCM. Though he said he could clear the DTC's from the BCM and PCM, he recommended not to in case it really was a bad module and instead told me to remove the VTC and drive the car for around 200 miles. He said that if the VTC was the problem, once the BCM cycled enough times conclude that the throttle signal was once again consistent, it'd turn off all the dash lights on its own. So i disconnected the VTC and drove it everywhere for a week and everything went away around 220 miles later. Codes lights and all. Not saying that VTC's dont work. That was just my experience. It didnt work for my car. Tuner recommended a ported TB and tuning to get the same desired results as the VTC. So im reading this thread very carefully and i think im gonna go with the ported TB. Im sold on it

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote