Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-08-2015, 02:52 PM   #1
Ambush
Rawr!

Drives: Giulia Quadrifoglio, C8 Stingray
Catch Can installed! Some afterthoughts

So I purchased an Elite catch can, put it in today, and here's my thought.

For the LFX engine (2014 V6), it appears to be unnecessary.

The PVC pipe that comes from the engine bypasses the throttle body and goes straight into the engine again to be burned. If there's gunk buildup, it wouldn't be from that particular pipe with the catch can.

That's just an exterior observation. Would love to hear feedback from more qualified members, if my observation's wrong.

I enjoyed installing it, and would thank everyone's feedback on a previous catch can post, which i can't find anymore on search.

Awesome.

Rawr,
Kev

Retired:
2018 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
2014 Crystal Red Camaro RS
Ambush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:29 PM   #2
fpdsniper

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
I've read just the opposite, that the catch can is MORE of a necessity on the V6. My SS has 35,000 miles on it from the original owner. Still on the fence on whether to get one of these.

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5/TRD
Independent Amsoil Dealer
fpdsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:42 AM   #3
custommx3

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2023 3LT RS, 2011 2LT RS
Interesting. Where does the PVC on the '14 V6 lead exactly? (Without me having to take cover off to see myself)
custommx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:48 AM   #4
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
The dirty side of the PCV will go from the rear right valve cover to the top of the manifold on the V6. When blow by occurs, it will fall into the manifold and collect in the runners and eventually run itself down and cause build up.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:08 AM   #5
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush View Post
So I purchased an Elite catch can, put it in today, and here's my thought.

For the LFX engine (2014 V6), it appears to be unnecessary.

The PVC pipe that comes from the engine bypasses the throttle body and goes straight into the engine again to be burned. If there's gunk buildup, it wouldn't be from that particular pipe with the catch can.

That's just an exterior observation. Would love to hear feedback from more qualified members, if my observation's wrong.

I enjoyed installing it, and would thank everyone's feedback on a previous catch can post, which i can't find anymore on search.

Awesome.

Rawr,
Kev
It's less about the throttle body and more about the intake manifold and intake valves. You are correct, the PCV directs crankcase vapors and gases back into the intake to be burned. On Direct Injection engines (the V6 is direct inject, the L99 and LS3 are not), there can be a potential for buildup of gunk inside the manifold and "coking" of the valves. Fuel spray from the injectors does not wash this area like would happen in a non-DI engine.

There's different schools of though here on use of a catch can...some people are adamant that the V6 cannot live without one. I'm more in the camp that aside from oil in the PCV, there's still a lot of stuff you can't catch in the can itself, especially not the engine's EGR system (it doesn't really have one in the traditional sense, but it does take some exhaust gases and blows them back through the intake). So there's a potential for buildup in the intake anyway. Catch cans catch heavy oil vapor and other condensate. If you install one, don't forget to empty it, AND, still keep an eye out for garbage building up in the intake.

The LFX is improved over the LLT-- I've heard of a handful of early issues with the LLT and intake garbage, mostly on the Lambda SUV's and early Camaro's. GM claims the system has now been optimized. 12k here, no catch can, and intake is clean. I realize my car is still very new.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:14 PM   #6
freddyD

Drives: 2020 rally green rs
I'm on the fence with this one too,2yrs old with 5000 miles so I don't drive it much maybe later.
freddyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:18 PM   #7
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288997
Old 03-10-2015, 01:18 PM   #8
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
It's less about the throttle body and more about the intake manifold and intake valves. You are correct, the PCV directs crankcase vapors and gases back into the intake to be burned. On Direct Injection engines (the V6 is direct inject, the L99 and LS3 are not), there can be a potential for buildup of gunk inside the manifold and "coking" of the valves. Fuel spray from the injectors does not wash this area like would happen in a non-DI engine.
Nailed it. You will get a little bit of build up on the back side of the TB, but the TB is the least of your issues. The real issue are the valves.

Also, there are 2 sides of the PCV system. Most of the problem is on the side that you installed the catch can on, but the other side can be problematic as well. During normal function, the other side (clean side) lets fresh air into the engine, however at WOT (wide open throttle) you'll get some reverse flow through the clean side, and that's what you find on the front side of the throttle blade and intake tube. For those who spend a lot of time at WOT, you can benefit from 2 catch can.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to call, PM or email me anytime - I'm happy to help!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:30 PM   #9
USMUCL

Drives: 2014 Red Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Tyler View Post
Nailed it. You will get a little bit of build up on the back side of the TB, but the TB is the least of your issues. The real issue are the valves.

Also, there are 2 sides of the PCV system. Most of the problem is on the side that you installed the catch can on, but the other side can be problematic as well. During normal function, the other side (clean side) lets fresh air into the engine, however at WOT (wide open throttle) you'll get some reverse flow through the clean side, and that's what you find on the front side of the throttle blade and intake tube. For those who spend a lot of time at WOT, you can benefit from 2 catch can.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to call, PM or email me anytime - I'm happy to help!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

Is this why I see what appears to be a check valve on the Z28 intake where the clean side seperator tube connects?

Do you get that reverse flow on the other side where most dirty side catch cans connect?
USMUCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:30 PM   #10
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
The LFX engine benefits the most from a catch can, for the reasons Evergreen6 stated. Direct Injection is the culprit. Don't get me wrong... the LFX is a great engine. It just runs dirtier than the LLT/LS3/L99. Look at your tailpipes and you will see what I mean.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:33 PM   #11
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
If you plan on keeping your car and wanting to run it's best you need a catch can.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:35 PM   #12
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
The problem isn't the throttle body... The problem is that the LFX and LLT both have more than average oil blowby, and because they are direct injection this oil doesn't get cleaned up by the injectors on the valves and so it just builds up.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:36 PM   #13
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post

There's different schools of though here on use of a catch can...some people are adamant that the V6 cannot live without one. I'm more in the camp that aside from oil in the PCV, there's still a lot of stuff you can't catch in the can itself, especially not the engine's EGR system (it doesn't really have one in the traditional sense, but it does take some exhaust gases and blows them back through the intake). So there's a potential for buildup in the intake anyway. Catch cans catch heavy oil vapor and other condensate. If you install one, don't forget to empty it, AND, still keep an eye out for garbage building up in the intake.

The LFX is improved over the LLT-- I've heard of a handful of early issues with the LLT and intake garbage, mostly on the Lambda SUV's and early Camaro's. GM claims the system has now been optimized. 12k here, no catch can, and intake is clean. I realize my car is still very new.

In the absence of any major, wide spread reports of issues related to buildup addressed by the catch can, I've opted to not bother. As discussed in other threads, the V6 LLT and LFX engines are used widely across several models. Problems of the severity claimed by the makers and users of catch cans would be at least registering on our radars. That tells me these issues are, at worse, nominal in scope/frequency or limited to certain conditions (frequent high RPM use).

Back to your regularly scheduled panic attack.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:53 PM   #14
Ambush
Rawr!

Drives: Giulia Quadrifoglio, C8 Stingray
many thanks for the replies everyone. I enjoyed reading the explanations.
i'll followup in a month or two when i have time to tinker with the engine again.

rawr!

Retired:
2018 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
2014 Crystal Red Camaro RS
Ambush is offline   Reply With Quote