Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 11-20-2016, 12:29 PM   #1
MarioSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS (RS LS3)
Need to hear your input re lowering

Hello everyone

I've decided to let my 2010 camaro SS, and been considering going with either BMR 1.25" front - 1.0" rear or PFADT (AFE). I like the DSE sittings too but they are a bit expensive and i think they are kinda too low for daily driven camaro.

I would like to have a better stance, and improve handling at the same time. While also maintaining ride comfort for my daily driven car.

I haven't heard anything of the new PFADT springs after aFE took over.

I want a pair of springs that doesn't produce any knocking sound.

Does the BMR ship with coil isolators?

Looking forward to hear your opinions.

PS forgot to mention that I'll be running z28 20" style wheels in the following specs:
Front 10" ET24
Rear 11" ET42

Tires would be 275/40-20, and 315/35-20

Thanks

Last edited by MarioSS; 11-21-2016 at 12:57 AM.
MarioSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:19 PM   #2
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Put on a Hotchkis Track Pack (Maxx Brace, springs, bushings, front and rear sway bars) and BMR end links front and rear, with BMR endlink reinforcement.) $1200, for parts and $1000 install. About a 1" drop. Hate it. Don't even like to drive it any more. Bounces all over the road and you feel every little, tiny, bump. Thinking seriously about putting it back to stock. :(
Old 11-22-2016, 06:00 AM   #3
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461737
Old 11-22-2016, 09:56 AM   #4
MarioSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy View Post
Put on a Hotchkis Track Pack (Maxx Brace, springs, bushings, front and rear sway bars) and BMR end links front and rear, with BMR endlink reinforcement.) $1200, for parts and $1000 install. About a 1" drop. Hate it. Don't even like to drive it any more. Bounces all over the road and you feel every little, tiny, bump. Thinking seriously about putting it back to stock. :(
Dang man I'm sorry to hear that!
Now you got me worried, as most of the guys here running Hotchkins springs swear by them, and how the ride haven't changed in terms of comfort

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2016, 10:38 AM   #5
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
With just the spring replacement on my daughter's car the ride characteristics haven't changed much at all over stock.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:51 AM   #6
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy View Post
Off. My Hotchkis springs were fine. Don't know what bushings you have, if poly they shouldn't bind. If not only thing I can think off is bushings weren't timed and you can get bounce
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:54 AM   #7
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
Off. My Hotchkis springs were fine. Don't know what bushings you have, if poly they shouldn't bind. If not only thing I can think off is bushings weren't timed and you can get bounce
I was just going to do springs, but was told I should upgrade the other stuff as well. And in looking at the differences in the parts, seemed like a no-brainer.

I am suspecting a bad install... the back didn't drop much and it's really bouncy in the back. I double checked and asked them if it was timed etc. and they assured me it was. Called the shop yesterday and found out that suspension guy is not with them anymore... Waiting on a call back from the owner..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotchkis
The Hotchkis Sport Suspension Track Pack for the Camaro offers a sleek lowered stance dramatically improved handling and superior driver control.
NOT my experience. White knuckled even on the freeway.

Last edited by Mr. Stacy; 11-22-2016 at 12:04 PM.
Mr. Stacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 02:09 PM   #8
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

I am taking mine in next Monday. I'll let you guys know how it works out.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:17 PM   #9
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

I just talked to Richard at Hotchkis and he has the exact same kit on "both" of his Gen 5's and doesn't have any of the symptoms I am describing. He thinks something has gone wrong with the install....
Old 11-22-2016, 02:41 PM   #10
MarioSS

Seems like it Mr. Stacy

Good luck buddy and please keep us posted.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:09 PM   #11
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Still in the shop. So far they have re-timed the suspension. The rear seems to be the problem and that makes sense. If the rear was sitting too high, that would put excessive down-force on the front and could contribute to the handling characteristics I described.

Crossing fingers...
Old 11-29-2016, 12:19 PM   #12
MBaseman

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS/1LE
OP, don't get too worried about doing the Hotchkis springs. I swear I added them to my otherwise stock suspension 1LE and have ZERO ride quality related complaints and no noise. Feels very close to stock. Even speed bumps aren't much worse. I daily drive my car and wouldn't recommend going much lower. And again, the ride quality factor was huge for me and these springs have been really good to me!

I think Mr Stacy got a bad install OR it's the combination of the other suspension components that is causing some ride quality issues. Those components are meant to allow the car to handle on rails. You will feel more of the road.
MBaseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 12:42 PM   #13
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBaseman View Post
OP, don't get too worried about doing the Hotchkis springs. I swear I added them to my otherwise stock suspension 1LE and have ZERO ride quality related complaints and no noise. Feels very close to stock. Even speed bumps aren't much worse. I daily drive my car and wouldn't recommend going much lower. And again, the ride quality factor was huge for me and these springs have been really good to me!

I think Mr Stacy got a bad install OR it's the combination of the other suspension components that is causing some ride quality issues. Those components are meant to allow the car to handle on rails. You will feel more of the road.
Any ideas on what else could be the issue? The kit had springs, sway bars, the brace and some hardware.

Then added the BMR end links. I asked Hotchkis about a possible miss-match with the end-links and he said no way... He (Richard) said he had the exact same kit on both of his Gen 5's and he had zero issues....
Old 11-29-2016, 12:55 PM   #14
MarioSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBaseman View Post

Thanks man appreciate your input!
But i already pulled the trigger on a 1.25" front and 1.00" rear BMR springs.
Hope i won't regret it