Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-24-2018, 12:28 PM   #29
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
So in the old days of steel oil pans it may not have mattered. You could just apply a few grunts of torque. However, modern Camaros have cast aluminum oil pans with helicoil insert threads, so yes, the correct torque does matter. If you overdo it, the helicoil will come right out next time you take the plug out.

And yes, I know what it is off the top of my head: 216 in.lbs. Since when is knowledge a bad thing?

As for the oil, I just go with Mobil-1 5W-30, right out of the owners manual.

PS. What's wrong with bone stock?
Actually, the Camaro's oil pan has a steel insert for the drain hole, thankfully.

However, I developed the torque wrench habit for drain plugs on a car that did actually have a helicoi in the drain hole. Anyone who has worked with helicoils has had one come out occasionally due to over torquing.

A torque wrench is never a bad idea if you know the correct torque.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 10:26 PM   #30
ThatMaro
Patty Cake

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2LT RS
Had an encounter exactly like this one about 2 months ago, before my wife took her 2014 Optima (Recently Replaced with a 2019 SXL) to get the oil change done at Mr.Tire (She doesn’t want to go there again) So the first thing she noticed that she didn’t like was when the guy that got into her car to bring it inside the shop was digging for gold inside of her car (she literally bought Lysol wipes and spray and wiped the interior down) so that was strike one for her. She told me that a few minutes after they took the car in that the guy came inside and called her over and told her that her car had refused to start and that her battery voltage was super low and that she needs a new battery immediately. So my wife tells the guy that the car has been starting perfectly fine for the past month since that was the last time her battery had been replaced, she said he completely avoided her response and asked her did she want a new battery for $100 and she declined again and once again telling him that her battery had been replaced a month ago....He then says “ok” and goes back to her car to “complete” the oil change and the guy pulled her car around for her and she got in a shut the car off in front of the guy and started it back up and told him “The car isn’t hesitating because It was replaced a month ago”.......I honestly don’t get why some people think that they are able to fool people about their own PERSONAL vehicles that they drive everyday. They refilled the washer fluid thought but I’m honestly surprised that they didn’t tell her that the washer fluid resivor is leaking to get more money.
10’ Lexus ES 350
17’ Mercedes-Benz E300 4Matic (Totaled)
20' Mercedes-Benz CLA 250 4Matic - Loaded
ThatMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 02:40 AM   #31
Blubird68

Drives: 1993 z28/2010 2SS
I normally change my oil myself, this was the 2nd time in 3 years that I took it in. My car has the zl1 front bumper and all my regular jacks are too big to fit under the car, I bought ramps but sometimes have issues getting it to drive up without the bumper scraping or the ramps staying still
Blubird68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:17 AM   #32
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
As for the oil, I just go with Mobil-1 5W-30, right out of the owners manual.

My manual doesn't specify Mobil 1 it does require Dexos which is a synthetic blend at a minimum. I use a full synthetic mind you too.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:21 AM   #33
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Hell I don't let F tards in my car even when I take it to the Jiffy Lube with my Driven racing oil....keys with me. Let alone a Firestone; they have a bad rep...LOL Yup and many have built their own mild ramps here with good old wood..... SO sayeth the old carpenter for the Gov't....lol And at one time sponsors made special blocks to jack the fifth gen with a slit in them to avoid the pinch weld so you don't crush them.... I would encourage everyone to get a magnetic oil drain plug available from dealers for under 20$ though. And if having oil changed make sure its 8 quarts for the LS engine and you check on the drain plug condition.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:54 PM   #34
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
The AC in my Silverado had quit... the same day, Firestone offered a free AC inspection, so, why not?

The tech discovered that I needed $700- $800 worth of work... I declined. I went home, decided the pop the hood myself. There was a belt missing. Cost me $7 at AutoZone, but since I had NO idea what I was doing, replacing the belt took nearly ten entire minutes, but six of those were from just standing around.

The belt change corrected the problem, of course, and the AC worked perfectly until the day I sold the truck many years later.

Firestone will never get the chance to rip me off, and I will share my story at every opportunity!
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote