Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-12-2018, 08:08 PM   #15
Thelegendl23

Drives: Ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
It has several sensors inside that must line up in one position only. It uses each of them as a check for the rest. If it's not in the dead on position it figures it is getting a false signal from one or more. You can try removing it, turning it 360 in one direction, reinstalling it and going for a test drive if you want but it could still be off. Then you would have to repeat it but do 720 in the opposite direction, but that's assuming the steering wheel only made one turn while it was out. So yes, it can be done, but it will be very time consuming to get it. The SIR coil has a window to tell when it's back in the dead on position. To center that you have to removed it from the column. Turn it until it stops, don't force it or you will break the ribbon inside. Turn it the other direction while counting the turns. Turn it back again half of the amount you counted. There should be a yellow piece in the center of the clear window if you have it centered correctly. Good luck, keep us informed.
Took it out, spun two turns, was too much, back one turn, no more light!

I appreciate your efforts, thanks for the information.
Thelegendl23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:57 AM   #16
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelegendl23 View Post
Took it out, spun two turns, was too much, back one turn, no more light!

I appreciate your efforts, thanks for the information.
What about your airbag coil?
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:05 PM   #17
Thelegendl23

Quote:
What about your airbag coil?
Just snapped it right back in with the 2 blue and yellow connectors, the wires feed back through so you dont actually have to take them out of the sensor. And then the airbag just pushes right back on..
Old 09-13-2018, 05:18 PM   #18
JerTM

Quote:
Just snapped it right back in with the 2 blue and yellow connectors, the wires feed back through so you dont actually have to take them out of the sensor. And then the airbag just pushes right back on..
I'm aware how it goes together, GM tech here lol. I am asking if you re-centered the coil. There is a ribbon of wires inside the "coil" that have been measured to near exact length so it doesn't pull on it when turning the exact amount of turns from lock to lock. If you installed your column back into the car with it being 360 degrees off in either direction you run the very high risk of breaking that ribbon when you go full lock in one direction or the other.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:48 PM   #19
Thelegendl23

Quote:
I'm aware how it goes together, GM tech here lol. I am asking if you re-centered the coil. There is a ribbon of wires inside the "coil" that have been measured to near exact length so it doesn't pull on it when turning the exact amount of turns from lock to lock. If you installed your column back into the car with it being 360 degrees off in either direction you run the very high risk of breaking that ribbon when you go full lock in one direction or the other.
Not explaining to educate, just to describe. Is that coil in the steering wheel sensor? If it was broken wouldn't it still have a light on? Glad to know an actual GM tech is on here thats awesome.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:22 AM   #20
JerTM

Quote:
Not explaining to educate, just to describe. Is that coil in the steering wheel sensor? If it was broken wouldn't it still have a light on? Glad to know an actual GM tech is on here thats awesome.
The airbag coil is the is the piece with the connectors that you described with the yellow connectors that clip into the airbag. It's directly behind the steering wheel on the column. Separate entirely from the steering angle sensor.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:59 AM   #21
frack

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange SS
Its the steering wheel angle sensor. Just take it to gm to have them reset it with the correct tool. I did mine when I broke my clock spring. Dealer charged me $13 bucks. Just make sure that you ask to talk to a senior tech, not the guy running the service counter. They don't know shit.
frack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:10 AM   #22
Thelegendl23

Quote:
Originally Posted by frack View Post
Its the steering wheel angle sensor. Just take it to gm to have them reset it with the correct tool. I did mine when I broke my clock spring. Dealer charged me $13 bucks. Just make sure that you ask to talk to a senior tech, not the guy running the service counter. They don't know shit.
Its fixed already, rotating it 360 degrees as he suggested worked like a charm. I also made sure no ribbons broke and everything clipped back on nicely.. is this something I can actually see? If it was not reading the driver airbag wouldn't it have service airbag? Just trying to learn I appreciate the knowledge
Old 09-15-2018, 08:29 AM   #23
frack

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange SS
Yes, If you have no lights then all is good. Glad that turning it 360° worked for ya.
frack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:55 AM   #24
JerTM

Quote:
Its fixed already, rotating it 360 degrees as he suggested worked like a charm. I also made sure no ribbons broke and everything clipped back on nicely.. is this something I can actually see? If it was not reading the driver airbag wouldn't it have service airbag? Just trying to learn I appreciate the knowledge
The airbag light won't turn on until the internal ribbon of the coil is broken. You can't see the ribbon itself it's inside a plastic housing. There is a small clear I window that you can see into the housing with.
Not my video, but the procedure you should do.
https://youtu.be/DJfpDllWTxk