Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-13-2015, 09:44 PM   #1
800MXZ

Drives: 18' 1SS 1LE Hyper Blue
Almost a ZL1 owner.... Am I buying at the correct time?

I've wanted a ZL ever since I heard the news from a friend who works in R&D at Milford that the LSA was going into the Camaro.

Now that they are a couple of years old, they are in my price range, but I want to ask the thoughts of others on pricing.

I'm aware that at car will take a long time to come back to what one paid for it, and I'm not looking to buy one to make money, but I'm wondering when the cars might bottom?

Today's market has it that one can buy into a low mile 12' or 14' for under $45k with under 10k in miles. I'm just wondering what is everyone's opinion on what will it bottom at how long it will take?

I think the Hellcat and news of a ZL2/G6 version are currently holding the ZLs down, but I have no interest in a CTS platform Camaro. Yea it's lighter but it doesn't look right, and it just doesn't appeal to me.
800MXZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:53 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800MXZ View Post
I'm aware that at car will take a long time to come back to what one paid for it, and I'm not looking to buy one to make money, but I'm wondering when the cars might bottom?
No idea. I don't think anyone can predict that, anymore than people can predict if it'll return to it's former value...if ever. The ZL1s aren't exactly...exclusive collector cars. It could be 10 years...20...I, personally, predict all but unused Z/28s will decrease in value and stay decreased like most other regular-production Camaros of the past. The only generation that's really worth anything are the 1st gens and early second gens. And even then, we're talking full restorations; or all-original, never driven.

What we do know, is that the major appraisers like Kelly Blue Book, have established that the 5th gen Camaro as a brand will hold its value better than any car in the segment as years go by.

Quote:
I think the Hellcat and news of a ZL2/G6 version are currently holding the ZLs down, but I have no interest in a CTS platform Camaro. Yea it's lighter but it doesn't look right, and it just doesn't appeal to me.
That may very well be. It might also be the season that's just ending, as well.

To be fair, nobody has any idea what the new car is going to look like, or what it's going to do. Just because it shares components with the ATS and CTS, doesn't at all mean it's going to look like them. After all...the 5th-gen doesn't look much like a big 'ol sedan, does it?

Good luck with your purchase - let us know what you get !
Old 04-13-2015, 09:55 PM   #3
dvision

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Sounds like you are buying it to drive (like I did) and not as an investment. So if you can afford it the sooner the better. The only downside is the salt rucks come out in Oct and just quit. I won't drive in salt.
dvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:09 PM   #4
alex70olds
~~*~~

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #141
My biased opinion, you can't go wrong.

BTW FYI the ZL2 gen 6 was an April Fool joke.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:32 PM   #5
800MXZ

Well I think these are production cars yes, and not low volume cars, but there are allot of cars from the late 70s thru the mid 80s that are selling very well had someone kept them stock and well maintained. A Bandit T/A can fetch $25k or more with 60-80k miles on it (3x what they were new) and they are horrible cars to drive. Monte aero-coupes, Grand Nationals, etc.... Are at a premium now.

I have other reliable transportation, so for me this is something to appreciate and have for a long time. I'll drive it, maybe 4-5000 miles a year, take to a couple car shows with the in-laws family.

Honestly, when i was in high school (cough - 1991) My parents told me they would go half in on a car with me for graduation. I'd saved $7k and had found what I wanted for $15k, a orange w/ white stripe DZ 69' Z28 with under 40,000 miles. My parents are 40 years older than I, and there was no way they would let me buy a car for that much money that was only $4000 new. I remind my mom every once and awhile that car is now worth more than $70k ( I don't think these 5th gens will balloon like that)

That being said, last year I found a very nice 69 Copo tribute that was done VERY nicely but built to drive. New ZZ454, Richmond 5-Speed, 3.73 gears, fresh floor and quarters, etc..... For $35. After driving it, it was nice and kinda fun, but it just was so far off of what I thought it was. I guess the legend had died in me. Compared to a C6 or even a 2SS car it was very lack luster. That's when i declared it would be a ZL for me.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:43 PM   #6
crc91

Drives: '14 1LS
Zl2 lol

Patiently waiting for my 2023 SS 1LE
crc91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:58 PM   #7
Bigtime53

Quote:
Well I think these are production cars yes, and not low volume cars, but there are allot of cars from the late 70s thru the mid 80s that are selling very well had someone kept them stock and well maintained. A Bandit T/A can fetch $25k or more with 60-80k miles on it (3x what they were new) and they are horrible cars to drive. Monte aero-coupes, Grand Nationals, etc.... Are at a premium now.

I have other reliable transportation, so for me this is something to appreciate and have for a long time. I'll drive it, maybe 4-5000 miles a year, take to a couple car shows with the in-laws family.

Honestly, when i was in high school (cough - 1991) My parents told me they would go half in on a car with me for graduation. I'd saved $7k and had found what I wanted for $15k, a orange w/ white stripe DZ 69' Z28 with under 40,000 miles. My parents are 40 years older than I, and there was no way they would let me buy a car for that much money that was only $4000 new. I remind my mom every once and awhile that car is now worth more than $70k ( I don't think these 5th gens will balloon like that)

That being said, last year I found a very nice 69 Copo tribute that was done VERY nicely but built to drive. New ZZ454, Richmond 5-Speed, 3.73 gears, fresh floor and quarters, etc..... For $35. After driving it, it was nice and kinda fun, but it just was so far off of what I thought it was. I guess the legend had died in me. Compared to a C6 or even a 2SS car it was very lack luster. That's when i declared it would be a ZL for me.
The last paragraph you described exactly what I thought to about a older car.I just thought I had to have one! I bought a 69 SS and kept it a year then sold it. Bought another one and sold it after a couple of months. Not for me! I really like the new muscle cars,at least that is what I call them, I think they are really great cars and the ZL1 has proved with the LSA motor that they are really tough cars. Get you one,you will not regret it.
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:37 AM   #8
Whos_Drivin

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1, '16 Silverado Z71
I'd bet they decrease in price again in a year or whenever the next Z is released/announced. To me $45,000 is still a strong price for a 2012/2013. I bought early and paid $55,000 new 3 years ago.
Whos_Drivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:02 PM   #9
revobasher

Never a wrong time to buy a ZL1!! HA!

I got mine for $48k at the dealer new just before the official 20% promo
740hp/700tq @14lbs on E85

Build Thread
revobasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:25 PM   #10
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Don't hold your breath for a ZL2. I can assure you that what you see is what you'll get for the 5th gen. Its a good bet that we may see a continuation of a superb camaro in the 6th generation, but when, where and how remains to be seen.

Our ZLs are hallmarks for the Camaro, and this is the best time to get a new one if one wants to own it.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:51 PM   #11
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
You should buy what you like when you like and can afford it. There will ALWAYS be a bigger, faster, more powerful, better looking, *insert adjective here* of whatever you buy at some point down the road.

But - we are not promised tomorrow so buy what you like when you can and enjoy it. Life is too short to wait for the 'But maybe...' to come along.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:59 PM   #12
800MXZ

Thanks everyone

My source says there is nothing set for production currently, but there is a "hellcat killer" project underway
Old 04-14-2015, 03:41 PM   #13
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Ive been seeing the 2013s between $41-48000. Its a great buy. I missed one that sold for $39,600
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:43 PM   #14
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
I bought my 13' for 40k...put 6k down and financed the rest.

Is there ever a bad time to buy a ZL1?
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote