Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-19-2008, 09:19 AM   #71
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Well, it seems the trend is to usually serve up the upscale/faster model after the launch of the car (except in the Challenger's case.) Since we now have a better idea (since there's no official confirmation from GM yet) of the numbers the cars will have, it seems GM should be able to offer up more, especially with the CTS-V and ZR1 cars already out there. I think this is just more confirmation the Z28 will reign supreme

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:38 AM   #72
camaroART

Drives: 84 CAMARO BERLINETTA+
would it be so bad if the next z28 just had the 420 hp engine,but make the car as light as possible. make a car that does'nt have anything to add weight,may some carbon fiber body panels, make like a show room racer,put the ss on diet and there's your next z28
camaroART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:48 AM   #73
chewy4ce
Banned

Drives: 1977 Pontiac Trans Am/ 455
I dont think they are gonna release the Z28

They have SS...and its that way throughout all of chevy's lineup...besides the ZR1

SS is kinda the household name for the "best" at the moment.

Even when they made the last camaro...it was the SS

Even the first gens...the SS was the most powerful with the 396

Yes the Z28 had an underrated engine...but not more than 375.

I'd rather have the SS badging

anyways...the more models that chevy offers...the more money it costs to have different variations...so im not seeing a Z28 being offered anytime soon.
chewy4ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:50 AM   #74
chewy4ce
Banned

Drives: 1977 Pontiac Trans Am/ 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroART View Post
would it be so bad if the next z28 just had the 420 hp engine,but make the car as light as possible. make a car that does'nt have anything to add weight,may some carbon fiber body panels, make like a show room racer,put the ss on diet and there's your next z28
Bad idea...then it would be a no brainer if someone would choose a vette or a camaro...

They are not gonna make the camaro a contender with the vette...they just wont do it people....why do you think they detuned the LS3 for the camaro?...so vette owners wouldnt bitch about it.
chewy4ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:18 AM   #75
Templar

Drives: 99 SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
Lol, nice.
Future CHP officer.

Cool, maybe you will let me off with a warning when I am racing down McHenry blvd.
Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:47 AM   #76
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
The Mustang was first. The Camaro was built in response to the Mustang. The Z/28 was developed to race against the Mustang in sanctioned road racing competition, something the SS was never designed to do (unoffical street racing is another thing all together).

The Mustang was soundly beaten by the Z/28 on the road race track. The Z/28 is the "Hero" to the true rabid Camaro fans because when there were rules in place in an effort to even the playing field, the Z/28 defeated the Mustang. That made the Z/28 a legendary icon. The SS is an icon too but it will never have that historic championship racing heritage that the Z/28 has.

Sure we had the SS models with more power and fancy options BUT on the race track where Mustangs and Camaros were fighting it out, the Z/28 won the championship and earned the spot at the top.

This is the reason for some of the Z/28 fans.

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:31 AM   #77
gtjacket
2G1FT1EW0A9118618

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Black/IOM M6
gtjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:21 AM   #78
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingr69 View Post
The Mustang was first. The Camaro was built in response to the Mustang. The Z/28 was developed to race against the Mustang in sanctioned road racing competition, something the SS was never designed to do (unoffical street racing is another thing all together).

The Mustang was soundly beaten by the Z/28 on the road race track. The Z/28 is the "Hero" to the true rabid Camaro fans because when there were rules in place in an effort to even the playing field, the Z/28 defeated the Mustang. That made the Z/28 a legendary icon. The SS is an icon too but it will never have that historic championship racing heritage that the Z/28 has.

Sure we had the SS models with more power and fancy options BUT on the race track where Mustangs and Camaros were fighting it out, the Z/28 won the championship and earned the spot at the top.

This is the reason for some of the Z/28 fans.

-Mark.
If I'm not mistaken, Z28 took a drag race championship or two also in the 1st Gen. I don't know how many SSs there were on tracks with turns but know there were Z28s kicking taillights on the quarter mile. This is the only referrence I could find:

http://www.z28camaro.com/oldrel.html

I'm not suggesting Z28 is better, only that IMVO that you can't have Camaro without Z28

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 01-20-2009, 09:51 AM   #79
The Great KJ
The Great KJ

Drives: 09 Challenger R/T & 05 Caravan
Send a message via Yahoo to The Great KJ

I Would have never thought of that but its one hell of a good reason. My argument is you have an SS on so many Chevy names and the Z/28 means Camaro.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:40 PM   #80
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Z28 took a drag race championship or two also in the 1st Gen. I don't know how many SSs there were on tracks with turns but know there were Z28s kicking taillights on the quarter mile. This is the only referrence I could find:

http://www.z28camaro.com/oldrel.html

I'm not suggesting Z28 is better, only that IMVO that you can't have Camaro without Z28
Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins built 302 Z/28 engines for some other drivers in addition to Dave Strickler's "The Old Reliable", Z/28s ran well in their classes, they just had a difficult time with the higher performance big blocks. Back in 1969, the Chevy performance club I belonged to went to the drag strip for the day (and there were about 10-12 Z/28s in that club as well as other Camaros and Chevelles), several of the Z/28s ran and as I've often posted never had problems with the 396/325HP or 396/350HP Camaros (much less the SS350/295HP Camaro), it was the 396/375HP Camaros that could and often did give them problems, the 396/375 also ran high compression and solid lifters with a much higher redline like the smaller Z/28 and it made a difference. And of course one of the DZ302 engines claim to fame was it's ability for high RPM.
Check this video to see some DZ302 high revs.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/6...-DZ_156232.htm
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:29 PM   #81
radz28
Petro-sexual

D@MN, 'paws!!! Now that you mention it, I remember reading there were a lot of big block guys spinning those engines to like 7 or 8. I can't believe that, solid lifter or not. Even with technology nowadays, that's hard. I mean to do it reliably, aren't people running shaft-mount rockers, titanium valves and such, and billet cranks and rods? These were stock engines, and they weren't even blue-printed, where they?...

Thanks for the video. That was friggin' cool. The last stock engine I heard that sounded that good was a Gen IV LS7, LOL!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 01-21-2009, 03:51 PM   #82
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
D@MN, 'paws!!! Now that you mention it, I remember reading there were a lot of big block guys spinning those engines to like 7 or 8. I can't believe that, solid lifter or not. Even with technology nowadays, that's hard. I mean to do it reliably, aren't people running shaft-mount rockers, titanium valves and such, and billet cranks and rods? These were stock engines, and they weren't even blue-printed, where they?...

Thanks for the video. That was friggin' cool. The last stock engine I heard that sounded that good was a Gen IV LS7, LOL!
Back in the day, I ran my bone stock (not balanced, not blue printed, no special parts) '69 Z/28 very often to 7,500 RPM, the only issue I ever had was some collapsed valve springs which the dealer was not going to cover under warranty (accused me of abusing the engine believe it or not!). Once I ranted and raved with the zone service rep for two days they did fix it under warranty. I was back in the dealer a couple of months later and the service manager came over and apologized, it seems I was just the first one they saw with that issue, there had been a run of springs tempered incorrectly and they had several Zs come in with the same issue. I loved that high winding DZ302, I really wish I had never sold it.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:55 PM   #83
ponycrusher21
Christopher Fernandez

Drives: Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtjacket View Post
ponycrusher21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:56 PM   #84
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
Back in the day, I ran my bone stock (not balanced, not blue printed, no special parts) '69 Z/28 very often to 7,500 RPM, the only issue I ever had was some collapsed valve springs which the dealer was not going to cover under warranty (accused me of abusing the engine believe it or not!). Once I ranted and raved with the zone service rep for two days they did fix it under warranty. I was back in the dealer a couple of months later and the service manager came over and apologized, it seems I was just the first one they saw with that issue, there had been a run of springs tempered incorrectly and they had several Zs come in with the same issue. I loved that high winding DZ302, I really wish I had never sold it.
Clyde
I can only imagine what you feel regarding getting rid of that car. You're like an encyclopedia of Camaro Your information is always

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"