Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
SIRLOIN
Banned

Drives: Ms. Daisy
New found thoughts about the ZL1

So, as many of you who have read my posts know, they have been heavily GT500 biased. I know, shocker right!... I have always been a fan of the Camaro, especially the 5th-Gen, just always leaned a little towards Mustang's because i have owned two of them. On top of that, it was my first muscle/sports/pony (whatever you wanna call it) car.

With that said... I guess the more time i spent on this site discussing/debating, researching, and looking at photos, the more i found myself liking the 5th-Gen, and more noteworthy the ZL1.
It's like the biased blinders came off all of the sudden... I don't know, maybe I've been brainwashed by the C5 koolaid or something... Whatever it is, i know that my feeling's have changed to the point that if i were to pull the trigger on purchasing one of these beasts, it would be an ashen gray ZL1 with carbon fiber insert, and silver 5 spoke wheels, over any GT500...

I FINALLY understand where the comments come from saying "i don't care what the GT500/Mustang has, the ZL1/SS looks better"... I can honestly say no matter how the GT500 performs, even if it smoke's the Z in every category, it wouldn't change my mind in purchasing one over the other. The Z's exterior flat out looks better IMO, and that's what's most important to me.(I'll get to the interior in a minute). My driving style is mostly just cruising with the occasional 'gettin on it'. No strip or road course has ever been on my radar nor would i care to ever go to one. The ZL1 has more than enough in it to take down just about anything i would ever run into on the streets, and would look awesome while doing it. The MR suspension and IRS would also suit my needs for what i would intend to do with the car...

I would also like to say that the standard wheel option's on the Z are incredible! The style, sizes, and tire sizes, blow the Shelby's out of the water. Also notable is the aftermarket selection. This also blow's the Mustang's away! If you buy a Mustang you can't even get a set good set of deep dish wheels, or anything more than a 2inch lip is out of the question...

The interior... That's the only thing that's a negative for me with the ZL1/SS. It's not horrible, and i could live with it, but IMO it needs an almost complete redo. For the life of me i can't understand how GM could design such a bad ass car exterior wise, and then sign off on that interior, IMO. The seats are ok, although i think most of us agree recaro's should absolutely be an option, but the dash(mainly the instrument cluster and stereo design),steering wheel(seems way too big), shifter, (both stick and auto version) placement of the gauges down by the shifter, and overall quality of materials used almost want to make me... Sorry hope that doesn't offend too many people...

Long story short... I want a ZL1 now, not a GT500.

Anyways, been typing for what seems like forever, just thought i would post up my new found feeling's about the Z... Hope everyone enjoy's the read.

P.S. I've been drinking(not kool-aid) and you know what they say when alcohol is involved, the truth alway's comes out...
SIRLOIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
EXACTLY!

A lot here don't seem to understand the true car passion because of their blinders being too tight around their narrow head. I love the GT500, I have one, and I have a SS. The new GT500 will be a beast and everyone can quote me now, it WILL outperform the ZL1....BUT I don't f'n care because as a "car guy", the ZL1 is my choice for now and no amount of GT500 hoopla and coronation will make me change that. Do I have the need to put it down and continue to puke out uneducated biased BS about it just because I am a ZL1 fan and I hate it that the snake has 650hp, 200mph,mid 3 sec0-60, mid 11 a1/4 mile, yada yada yada......? No, I leave that to the narrow-minded wannabe car guys.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
ZmbHord
2012 ZL1 #0012

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #12 - CONTAGION
Enjoy the Koolaid and welcome to the cool kids table :-)
ZmbHord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
07-SRT

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
I think we all tend to be somewhat biased and look through rose colored glasses now and again... I have owned all (3) GM.FORD.CHRYSLER and at this moment, I am looking through"SRT8 rose colored glasses". I had some guy in a Impala SS give me the thumbs down " after blowing his doors off"
Do I care? Oh, wait thats a rhetorical Question...
Will I care when my "doors get blown off by a ZL1 or GT500..... Nope, they get the thumbs up......

2015 Camaro 2SS

Cam/Heads/FBO 498/447 SAE
07-SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
SIRLOIN
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
EXACTLY!

A lot here don't seem to understand the true car passion because of their blinders being too tight around their narrow head. I love the GT500, I have one, and I have a SS. The new GT500 will be a beast and everyone can quote me now, it WILL outperform the ZL1....BUT I don't f'n care because as a "car guy", the ZL1 is my choice for now and no amount of GT500 hoopla and coronation will make me change that. Do I have the need to put it down and continue to puke out uneducated biased BS about it just because I am a ZL1 fan and I hate it that the snake has 650hp, 200mph,mid 3 sec0-60, mid 11 a1/4 mile, yada yada yada......? No, I leave that to the narrow-minded wannabe car guys.
Don't get me wrong, i still love the GT500 and Mustang, and that will never change, but the ZL1 definately has a new found respect from me... Enough to where if i purchase one of these bad boys, it will be the Z...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZmbHord View Post
Enjoy the Koolaid and welcome to the cool kids table :-)
Thanks man!...
Old 03-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
UCANTCME
1st ZL1 in Rochester, NY

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #480
I agree, Zl1 over GT 500 any day. The only F*&? that I will ever own is the DIESEL I just sold, hell of a truck. Good read. Thanks
UCANTCME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #7
SIRLOIN
Banned

I just can't keep my eyes off this picture right here

This, but in coupe version, is what i want!!!...
Old 03-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #8
2ndCamaro79

Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
Great post.... except for the interior bit... have some more kool aid

I have to admit I have been a Camaro guy my whole life, until it came to the 5th gen. At that time I just thought the Challenger looked better. I think in my mind the 5th gen did not look retro enough or enough like my 4th gen Camaro. So I pulled the trigger on the more retro 2009 Challenger R/T, and while it looked great it was missing something(besides power). In 2005, I bought the 2005 GT Mustang, I was thrilled it looked like the old mustangs, but something was missing. Then I remembered how much I loved my 4th gen Camaro and pulled the trigger on the 2010 SS, and everything felt complete.

There is something special about Camaro, there always has been for me. At first I had hang ups about the interior and exterior of the 5th gen, but the more time you spend with it the more it grows on you. My father in-law is a old schools muscle car guy and has owned them all. At first he was like why did you get rid of that Challenger and get a Camaro. Then he spent the week at my house and you could see he was starting to convert. The more and more I look at the ZL1, the more I have to have it. I am a total ZL1 zombie, and could care less about any other new car. I believe its true Chevy Runs Deep
2ndCamaro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
I wish I had enough money to have both. They are different enough and cool enough to really want both. But given I can only have one, I have to have the ZL1.
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
SIRLOIN
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndCamaro79 View Post
Great post.... except for the interior bit... have some more kool aid

I have to admit I have been a Camaro guy my whole life, until it came to the 5th gen. At that time I just thought the Challenger looked better. I think in my mind the 5th gen did not look retro enough or enough like my 4th gen Camaro. So I pulled the trigger on the more retro 2009 Challenger R/T, and while it looked great it was missing something(besides power). In 2005, I bought the 2005 GT Mustang, I was thrilled it looked like the old mustangs, but something was missing. Then I remembered how much I loved my 4th gen Camaro and pulled the trigger on the 2010 SS, and everything felt complete.

There is something special about Camaro, there always has been for me. At first I had hang ups about the interior and exterior of the 5th gen, but the more time you spend with it the more it grows on you. My father in-law is a old schools muscle car guy and has owned them all. At first he was like why did you get rid of that Challenger and get a Camaro. Then he spent the week at my house and you could see he was starting to convert. The more and more I look at the ZL1, the more I have to have it. I am a total ZL1 zombie, and could care less about any other new car. I believe its true Chevy Runs Deep
I dont know, maybe your right. Maybe the interior would grow on me. I've only sat in one for a few minutes and surely that wasn't enough time to soak it all in. It was just my intial impression and pictures that I've seen that i base my opinion on. Like i said above, it's not a deal breaker or anything, just wish it was a little more 'mature' feeling, is how i guess i would put it...

The ZL1 in my eyes is damn near perferct. I just wish i could swap out the interior for the GT500's...

Who knows, maybe GM has some interior improvements coming for 2013...
Old 03-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #11
2ndCamaro79

Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
I really think the 2013 is going to have some major interior upgrades. A lot of members have been asking for Recaro seats and Nav. I don't think the the 2013 will get any major HP gains, but I do see a refreshed interior and more exterior colors coming.
2ndCamaro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #12
toilets

Drives: 2010 camaro
But until valid performance numbers come out for the 500. It still doesn't explain how ford was able to build a car 300 lbs lighter, 80 hp (at minimum) more and 20 mph faster at top end for right around the same price. Congrats to them honestly. I still would not buy one buy wow! Numbers wise (not performance wise) the 500 beats the z In every catagory
toilets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:29 PM   #13
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRLOIN View Post
So, as many of you who have read my posts know, they have been heavily GT500 biased. I know, shocker right!... I have always been a fan of the Camaro, especially the 5th-Gen, just always leaned a little towards Mustang's because i have owned two of them. On top of that, it was my first muscle/sports/pony (whatever you wanna call it) car.

With that said... I guess the more time i spent on this site discussing/debating, researching, and looking at photos, the more i found myself liking the 5th-Gen, and more noteworthy the ZL1.
It's like the biased blinders came off all of the sudden... I don't know, maybe I've been brainwashed by the C5 koolaid or something... Whatever it is, i know that my feeling's have changed to the point that if i were to pull the trigger on purchasing one of these beasts, it would be an ashen gray ZL1 with carbon fiber insert, and silver 5 spoke wheels, over any GT500...

I FINALLY understand where the comments come from saying "i don't care what the GT500/Mustang has, the ZL1/SS looks better"... I can honestly say no matter how the GT500 performs, even if it smoke's the Z in every category, it wouldn't change my mind in purchasing one over the other. The Z's exterior flat out looks better IMO, and that's what's most important to me.(I'll get to the interior in a minute). My driving style is mostly just cruising with the occasional 'gettin on it'. No strip or road course has ever been on my radar nor would i care to ever go to one. The ZL1 has more than enough in it to take down just about anything i would ever run into on the streets, and would look awesome while doing it. The MR suspension and IRS would also suit my needs for what i would intend to do with the car...

I would also like to say that the standard wheel option's on the Z are incredible! The style, sizes, and tire sizes, blow the Shelby's out of the water. Also notable is the aftermarket selection. This also blow's the Mustang's away! If you buy a Mustang you can't even get a set good set of deep dish wheels, or anything more than a 2inch lip is out of the question...

The interior... That's the only thing that's a negative for me with the ZL1/SS. It's not horrible, and i could live with it, but IMO it needs an almost complete redo. For the life of me i can't understand how GM could design such a bad ass car exterior wise, and then sign off on that interior, IMO. The seats are ok, although i think most of us agree recaro's should absolutely be an option, but the dash(mainly the instrument cluster and stereo design),steering wheel(seems way too big), shifter, (both stick and auto version) placement of the gauges down by the shifter, and overall quality of materials used almost want to make me... Sorry hope that doesn't offend too many people...

Long story short... I want a ZL1 now, not a GT500.

Anyways, been typing for what seems like forever, just thought i would post up my new found feeling's about the Z... Hope everyone enjoy's the read.

P.S. I've been drinking(not kool-aid) and you know what they say when alcohol is involved, the truth alway's comes out...
Glad to hear it.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #14
SIRLOIN
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by toilets View Post
But until valid performance numbers come out for the 500. It still doesn't explain how ford was able to build a car 300 lbs lighter, 80 hp (at minimum) more and 20 mph faster at top end for right around the same price. Congrats to them honestly. I still would not buy one buy wow! Numbers wise (not performance wise) the 500 beats the z In every catagory
As far as the price for the GT500, i reall don't feel like it's much more impressive than the ZL1. When talking numbers, yes the 650hp and 200mph for 54k sounds impressive, and is. But the ZL1's price, with it's 580hp and all it's goodies that the GT500 doesn't come standard with, makes up for the lack of HP and top speed numbers,(in terms of price). Hope that makes sense...

Weight wise, alot of people don't realize that the GT500 and ZL1 are very similar in size. Most of the weight difference comes from the Z's IRS. It is MASSIVE!!! This is also most of the reason the ZL1/Camaro have a better weight distribution.
If you swapped out the IRS for an SRA i guarantee you would lose atleast 200lbs. Probably more... That along with larger wheels/tires, drive shaft, and maybe a few other minor things im forgetting, there is your weight difference.

Here is a picture of the two rear ends for a comparison.

Camaro's IRS

Mustang's SRA