Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-10-2019, 03:53 PM   #1
ca_z28

Drives: 2014 Z/28
Catch Can

I'm thinking I need to upgrade my catch can on the Z. If you have done the same, please let me know your experience and what products you recommend.

Thanks in advance...
ca_z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:00 PM   #2
FLOW TIE

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #898
NONE of the DFW modified guys run one.
I think their shop advised against it..

I’m sure they’ll chime in..
FLOW TIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:08 AM   #3
MX621

Drives: 2014 z28
I just installed the elite engineering e2 can. Before ordering the catch can I pulled the intake off and looked behind the throttle body. The intake manifold was wet with oil. 5500 miles zero track time. There is no downsides to installing a catch can.
MX621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:54 AM   #4
ronchev

Drives: 14' Red Z/28 #336
I just did a Mighty Mouse road race version on mine after the heads cam swap, they are very easy to work with and have a verity of options to mount it about anywhere and all very nice quality parts.

My stock intake manifold had oil film coated inside at 5k miles at teardown for heads so I wanted to see if I could improve on the this with a new intake, at this point only dyne time has been done but winter here so no real road time yet so I won't be able to verify until next year if it is helping.
ronchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:08 AM   #5
D2M

Drives: Z/28
I run a small catch can slightly larger than a soda can on the dirty side only. This will only get a few drops in it even with hard street driving but will fill completely in 4-5 track sessions.

D2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:38 PM   #6
ca_z28

Drives: 2014 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX621 View Post
I just installed the elite engineering e2 can. Before ordering the catch can I pulled the intake off and looked behind the throttle body. The intake manifold was wet with oil. 5500 miles zero track time. There is no downsides to installing a catch can.
Was it easy to install?
ca_z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:09 PM   #7
MX621

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_z28 View Post
Was it easy to install?
Was pretty easy. Looks great too. [IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-11-2019, 09:49 PM   #8
Z Beast

Drives: 2014 Z/28 Ashen Grey Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_z28 View Post
I'm thinking I need to upgrade my catch can on the Z. If you have done the same, please let me know your experience and what products you recommend.

Thanks in advance...
I run the ELITE E2-X with the dual check valves. This setup keeps the can under vacuum at idle and under full throttle most cans are only working at idle and under cruise. I don't use a clean side separator as it won't fit under the stock hood as it screws into our dry sump tank another bonus to this can is you won't have to upgrade it if you decide to go a little more extreme on the motor.

I run a stage 4 cam and heads setup from Cunningham motorsports and will get about 2-3 tablespoons per weekend out of it.

"The walls are white, the track is grey, the grass is green, and the sky is blue... your job is to keep them all where they belong." - Johnny Rutherford
Z Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:26 AM   #9
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOW TIE View Post
NONE of the DFW modified guys run one.
I think their shop advised against it..

I’m sure they’ll chime in..
I was told that if you do install one you'd better be religious about emptying it on a regular basis, else it can cause major damage.

Also, my car uses about 1qt/2k miles. GM says its within spec for the LS7. When I had mods done at 25.5k miles, they inspected the intake and there weren't any signs of issues caused from blow by.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:37 AM   #10
MX621

Idk who you guys are talking to, but a catch can will not cause any harm as long as you don’t let them fill up.. negligence would cause the engine to ingest a large amount of oil at one time . They simply prevent oil vapor from entering your intake manifold. That’s it. I ran one on my c5z for 9 years. A perfectly healthy engine will still pressurize the crank case to a degree. Just a product of the pistons displacing air in the bottom end. Yes you need to keep an eye on how quickly your can fills at first. Driving habits directly relate to how often the can needs emptied. If you guys are happy with having a oiled down, wet intake manifold that will carbon up your pistons, and make a mess inside your engine, by all means do so. It’s your car.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:08 PM   #11
hjdca

Drives: 2015 Z/28 Black
Quote:
Idk who you guys are talking to, but a catch can will not cause any harm as long as you donít let them fill up.. negligence would cause the engine to ingest a large amount of oil at one time . They simply prevent oil vapor from entering your intake manifold. Thatís it. I ran one on my c5z for 9 years. A perfectly healthy engine will still pressurize the crank case to a degree. Just a product of the pistons displacing air in the bottom end. Yes you need to keep an eye on how quickly your can fills at first. Driving habits directly relate to how often the can needs emptied. If you guys are happy with having a oiled down, wet intake manifold that will carbon up your pistons, and make a mess inside your engine, by all means do so. Itís your car.
Seems like a good idea if you are tracking your Z/28. Mine is a street car with 15K miles, mostly fwy. I do floor it a lot in 4th and 5th gear. Even with all fwy, my gas mileage is 14 mpg according to the computer, so, I do get on it a lot. It burns 1/4 of a quart every 3 thousand miles, so, based on that consumption, I do not see how the catch can would be needed for the street. If you are burning more than 1 quart every 2K miles because of tracking, then, the catch can sounds like a good idea. I had a few blower motors in the past, and they all had oil in the intake, I wish I put a catch can on those motors --- I blew up two of them....
hjdca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:38 PM   #12
MX621

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjdca View Post
Seems like a good idea if you are tracking your Z/28. Mine is a street car with 15K miles, mostly fwy. I do floor it a lot in 4th and 5th gear. Even with all fwy, my gas mileage is 14 mpg according to the computer, so, I do get on it a lot. It burns 1/4 of a quart every 3 thousand miles, so, based on that consumption, I do not see how the catch can would be needed for the street. If you are burning more than 1 quart every 2K miles because of tracking, then, the catch can sounds like a good idea. I had a few blower motors in the past, and they all had oil in the intake, I wish I put a catch can on those motors --- I blew up two of them....
Before I ordered my catch can I pulled the Intake tube and looked in the intake manifold with a flashlight. No puddles but it was wet everywhere. 5,500 miles zero track time. Catch cans are personal choice I guess. I prefer zero oil ingestion.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:26 PM   #13
D2M

Drives: Z/28
Here is mine. The pics were take during installation, everything is clamped. Dont panic..
Attached Images

D2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:25 AM   #14
ronchev

Drives: 14' Red Z/28 #336
Quote:
Idk who you guys are talking to, but a catch can will not cause any harm as long as you donít let them fill up.. negligence would cause the engine to ingest a large amount of oil at one time . They simply prevent oil vapor from entering your intake manifold. Thatís it. I ran one on my c5z for 9 years. A perfectly healthy engine will still pressurize the crank case to a degree. Just a product of the pistons displacing air in the bottom end. Yes you need to keep an eye on how quickly your can fills at first. Driving habits directly relate to how often the can needs emptied. If you guys are happy with having a oiled down, wet intake manifold that will carbon up your pistons, and make a mess inside your engine, by all means do so. Itís your car.
Could not agree more
This is why I added one to mine when upgrading heads at 5k miles, the carbon on top of the pistons took some time to remove and with the compression on these engines pretty high something you don't want in the intake stream is oil. Oil here and detonation does not fair well in a performance engine
ronchev is offline   Reply With Quote