Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-26-2018, 05:20 PM   #29
striker1le

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Don't really have an update yet. But after speaking with the repurchase coordinator from GM, it sounds like GM will formulate the case and send an offer letter with the repurchase price.
When asked about what the replacement offer meant, it just sounded like a glorified trade-in. Which is basically offsetting the repurchase price towards a new car.

At this point, I'm not really looking forward to sell the car. But at what price should I reconsider the offer from GM ?
The car is in excellent condition other than the starting snag I posted in this thread.
striker1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:00 PM   #30
rshelar

Drives: 2017 1SS convertible Nightfall Gray
Just wait for the offer and go from there. Maybe they can locate a used 2016/17 for you. They have really come down in price. I see 2017s for mid 20s now. The gen 6 cars are really sweet! LT1 with 455HP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rshelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:47 PM   #31
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by striker1le View Post
Don't really have an update yet. But after speaking with the repurchase coordinator from GM, it sounds like GM will formulate the case and send an offer letter with the repurchase price.
When asked about what the replacement offer meant, it just sounded like a glorified trade-in. Which is basically offsetting the repurchase price towards a new car.

At this point, I'm not really looking forward to sell the car. But at what price should I reconsider the offer from GM ?
The car is in excellent condition other than the starting snag I posted in this thread.

If they are like an insurance company they have to send you a list of similar vehicles available in your area and offer you enough to buy the highest priced ones plus any taxes you would incur without a trade-in.

Or take the money and spend it as you wish. Which may cost you the taxes.
You should also get a payback for any unused extended warranty, Onstar, Sirius, etc.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:43 PM   #32
striker1le

So I got a response at last from GM. They're offering 27k for the car. This is certainly better than similar cars I see in my area. 2 things run in my mind.
1. As mentioned earlier, I didn't plan to sell the car at the moment (at least for a year) because of financial commitments and this offer doesn't justify the costs to consider me selling it now.
2. If I sell it next year with all repairs done under warranty, would I still get a respectable price or the mention of engine replacement work is going to deter people from buying it ?

Sorry, this is my first car and haven't dealt with reselling before.
What are my options here ? How can I get a better price or should I involve a lemon law lawyer?
Old 01-10-2019, 09:01 PM   #33
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
I would say you may want to sell it given the circumstances. Unless you plan on altering it yourself a good starter may help or other mod. I know I had slow starter problems with being built and header heat and switched to another aftermarket starter from power master and now I start strong like stock. Higher mileage and the failure you stated does not mean you qualify for lemon laws as I understand them, it more repeated failures of multiple things and lack of use of the vehicle more over being made defective.

Not noted by you the fact of the mileage on the engine could have led to the ls3 chain dampeners plastic chain guides...…; also clogging partially the pick up in the pan from broken pieces which may not have been noticed on tear down also or noted a more common problem than the failures of oil pumps. I love my high volume pump and glad I switched to one ,and my starter though it required clocking it to avoid the sensor right by it on the lower part of the engine at the oil pan, a eyelet change to the ignition switch wire and bending the stock connector end to the positive cable https://www.ebay.com/itm/Powermaster...MTY:rk:42:pf:0

I would recommend it also to anyone and our starter is a ministarter stock that's more prone to heat soak and less torque and similar in cost to this one. To me your clip sounds as if you can hear actually the solenoid kicking the starter gear out engage and a slow start and most likely its tired, I am on my third starter….two just from trying a new stock one again which only disappointed me but I do have higher spring pressures, more compression and 52 more cubes. The starter had to be shimmed and I lost the heat shield and the dust cover plug that goes around the starter made of plastic to keep crap out of the bell housing to install the new starter but I love it being strong starting again. You may want to do a relearn of the fuel curve with the new engine etc...…

IMO your fortunate to have gotten a new engine, and gm's offer is generous, keeping it or getting rid of it ...when someone else may just replace a aged starter shimmed right to your Camaro and or battery or check engine grounds etc....on replacement of a engine you should check all electrical; and other connections yourself BTW. A loose connection can make havoc to performance, and realize and go through new engine break in procedures such as using a conventional high zddp oil or break in oil until the valve seals and other components break in or establish wear patterns for thousands of miles IMO.

Only you can decide what to do, Good Luck. I do have my nearly new stock starter , ( might have 5-6k on it over a year );in a box and would sell it cheap.
2013 2SS/RS LS3 M6 ,CRT, NPP, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Mast windage, Cam Motion Cam, trunnion upgrade, Stainless Power headers HFC, CAI w/kit, Vmax PTD, Fluidampr25% udp, LPW diff cover, BMR strut brace,trailing arms, toes, bushings, Rocket racing wheels,Toyo Proxes 4+, elite catch can, clutch reservoir, dash/body LED, DRL rewire, Sparks billet badges, Forza 3way, tint, MRT louvers, ZL1 spoiler, MGW short throw, Monster dual LT1S clutch, bleeder, support, high vol pump, Speed hut shift light, ACC flames stripes, Driven ls30 oil, NGK TR6IX , Granatelli wires.

Last edited by christianchevell; 01-10-2019 at 09:32 PM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:23 PM   #34
67 to 91 to 13

Drives: 2013 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by striker1le View Post
So I got a response at last from GM. They're offering 27k for the car. This is certainly better than similar cars I see in my area. 2 things run in my mind.
1. As mentioned earlier, I didn't plan to sell the car at the moment (at least for a year) because of financial commitments and this offer doesn't justify the costs to consider me selling it now.
2. If I sell it next year with all repairs done under warranty, would I still get a respectable price or the mention of engine replacement work is going to deter people from buying it ?

Sorry, this is my first car and haven't dealt with reselling before.
What are my options here ? How can I get a better price or should I involve a lemon law lawyer?
If you are being offered $27k for a vehicle that had 70k miles I would take it and run. No way you get that out of a private sale
Old 01-10-2019, 10:44 PM   #35
rshelar

Ditto!

Old 01-10-2019, 11:58 PM   #36
rshelar

I did it. Local dealer had a 2017 1SS vert in nightfall gray asking $24k and I bought it. Previous rental. These 16/17 rentals and lease returns are showing up on lots now. They buy them cheap and can sell them cheap.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:51 PM   #37
Sozo

Drives: 2015 Comm. M6 2SS convertible
I used to build starters for a living ..its hard for me to hear the "clanking" clearly but my first thought would be its a starter issue ..I have heard "sloppy" drive gears on the starter armature sound similar to that as they engage and disengage the fly wheel …

BUT without being there in person an actually hearing it fully that's only a guess from what im getting of the couple "clanks" in the vid sounds like its happening as it would be disengaging from the flywheel ..but again its really hard to tell where the sound is coming from on a video or get a good read on it at all.

Good luck I hate to hear about all the issues with dealers these days ..I don't think they have a clue just how weary this makes a lot of people of buying Chevy
Sozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:22 AM   #38
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 to 91 to 13 View Post
If you are being offered $27k for a vehicle that had 70k miles I would take it and run. No way you get that out of a private sale

Couldn't agree more!
Old 01-14-2019, 06:01 PM   #39
striker1le

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'm going to look out for a used Gen6 1le. Wish me luck in finding one. I think the owners are very happy and don't want to sell them yet
Old 01-14-2019, 06:50 PM   #40
rshelar

Good call. If you haven't already, make sure you take a drive in a gen 6 SS and 1LE. This is a totally different vehicle with 400 lbs. less weight and more power. The factory stock 2017 SS vert that I picked up is pretty tight.