Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-08-2008, 09:23 AM   #1
IROCZJEFF

Drives: 69Z 70Z 85IROC-Z 911LE 97 SS
2011 Z/28 Camaro "Reality"

By now everyone on this forum has the information from GM that they will not be manufacturing a 2010 Z/28 Camaro. "FACT" Many forum members are still holding out for the almighty Super Charged Z/28. "I was one of these people" The "FACT" is it is not going to come out with a blower. The Z/28 in 1969 was built to compete in Trans Am racing."FACT" The best shot of getting a Z/28 back is to trace it to it's roots. The LS3 power plant is a good motor so how do you make power out of a motor/platform that is good to start with? REDUCE WEIGHT! Build a 2011 Camaro Z/28 with the thoughts of racing, make the car light as can be. My thoughts are to have a 1LE type package but with over the counter parts through GM avalible such as factory header, exhaust, special ground cams, etc... This car would be stripped of comfort features like leather,power windows,air conditioning etc... Have the car come in at around 3,000 to 3,200 LBS. With bolt on parts as I described above this would indeed be the car to own and it would be cheeaper than a super charged Z/28. This car would be faster and lighter than a super charged car hands down! The Shelby is a pig! Check out the power to weight ratio. Look at the new Challenger's power to weight ratio. Pig! My friends the Z/28 can be built cheaper and lighter! Let start to think forward instead of backwards! Jeff
IROCZJEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:18 AM   #2
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCZJEFF View Post
The "FACT" is it is not going to come out with a blower. The Z/28 in 1969 was built to compete in Trans Am racing.
You dont know that as fact at all. They have admitted to having a couple of supercharged mules running around so this would seem to be the way they want to go. What the Z was in 69 has absolutely nothing to do with what it may or not be today.

Quote:
"FACT" The best shot of getting a Z/28 back is to trace it to it's roots.
No, the only way a Z/28 will be made is if GM decides they can make money off it and not screw their CAFE figures up. If they can they will, if they can't, they wont. Simple as that.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:32 AM   #3
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
There is no factual information available about the Z28. We do not know whether one will ever be built. We hope Chevrolet will make the right decision by building one, but no one really knows what any potential Z28 will feature.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:54 AM   #4
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
It all hinges on future SS Sales. If you look at Challenger V8's, other than excited pre order folks they are sitting on the lots right now. If that happens to SS forget it. If SS does sell strong, then maybe they might have some money to spend on Z28.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:02 AM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
By now everyone on this forum has the information from GM that they will not be manufacturing a 2010 Z/28 Camaro. "FACT" Many forum members are still holding out for the almighty Super Charged Z/28. "I was one of these people" The "FACT" is it is not going to come out with a blower. The Z/28 in 1969 was built to compete in Trans Am racing."FACT" The best shot of getting a Z/28 back is to trace it to it's roots. The LS3 power plant is a good motor so how do you make power out of a motor/platform that is good to start with? REDUCE WEIGHT! Build a 2011 Camaro Z/28 with the thoughts of racing, make the car light as can be. My thoughts are to have a 1LE type package but with over the counter parts through GM avalible such as factory header, exhaust, special ground cams, etc... This car would be stripped of comfort features like leather,power windows,air conditioning etc... Have the car come in at around 3,000 to 3,200 LBS. With bolt on parts as I described above this would indeed be the car to own and it would be cheeaper than a super charged Z/28. This car would be faster and lighter than a super charged car hands down! The Shelby is a pig! Check out the power to weight ratio. Look at the new Challenger's power to weight ratio. Pig! My friends the Z/28 can be built cheaper and lighter! Let start to think forward instead of backwards! Jeff
Do you work for GM and are you on the Camaro project?

(Respectfully) ... If the answer is no, then you can't state anything for FACT because just like the folks at GM, we know things CAN change.

I'm not disagreeing w/ thinking making lighter is better or anything else (try B4C for example...didn't think it was going to happen and we are now getting the police package). The only problem I have is when people try to state things for FACT when the truth of the matter is, we haven't gotten there yet and anything is still possible. I have been told by numerous sources (folks who have the ties AND folks who have seen the BLOWER ON TOP OF THE MOTOR) and I WILL NOT say it's not going to happen FOR FACT.

Now, if you want to build your own race car, go for it. For the mean time, GM is going to build what will sell and be profitable for GM to stay alive and maybe turn a profit.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:03 AM   #6
IROCZJEFF

Dan, it has been stated by the Camaro brand manager that the Z/28 super charged program has been cancled for 2010. The 1969 Z/28 has everything to do with the new Z/28. Where do you think they got the idea to build the new Camaro in the first place? The Z/28 option was built for performance, handling and the person who wantes to drive there Camaro to the limit. How can you claim the 69 Z/28 and the canceled 2010 Z/28 have nothing in common? This tread is about the Z/28 that should be built not the one that has been axed. Jeff
Old 09-08-2008, 11:19 AM   #7
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Well, maybe we will end up with a 1979 Z/28 instead. Ah!, the robust acceleration of a smog choked 350 rated at 175 horsepower!(Tongue firmly implanted in my cheek of course!)

Let's face it some very hallowed names have been dragged to some pretty low levels during the course of history. However, I seriously doubt that that type of mistake or pattern is something which GM would allow to happen again in today's highly competitive market.

Let's see what happens.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:25 AM   #8
IROCZJEFF

TAG UR IT, I do not work for GM, but i do work for a supplier of GM that has direct knowledge of special projects. "respectfully"

The Camaro brand manager said there would be no Super Charged 2010 Camaro. Did you not see that statement? Lutz also stated Camaro would not have a Super Charger. That is "FACT". If you cant find these quotes I will email them to you.

As far as preproduction Camaros rolling around with super charges on them you are 100% true! They were preproduction mules with CTS-V motors. The harsh reality is that GM was testing the CTS-V motor for the new Camaro and then came the gas wars and the final price of the car with the CTS-V motor put the car out of the price range in which it made sence for GM to build them.

As for you coment regarding me building my own race car. I own a 1991 1LE race car. All I was trying to do for this post is show that we can still have our Z/28 but it is not going to be the Super Charged Z/28 that everyone, myself included wanted.

In you last quote you said that GM is going to build what makes them money. You are 100% correct with that. If GM builds a Z/28 with the idea less is more regarding less weight and more power I think the car would be profitable and powerful. I am not trying to start a fight, just trying to show an option of how to get what we want. Jeff
Old 09-08-2008, 11:55 AM   #9
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Here are the problems with your original post.

Quote:
We've all already come to the conclusion that supercharged doesn't equal Z28. But the statements I bolded as you typed them just aren't true. Now that you've cleared it up. I think we all are on the same page.

Most likely we won't see a Blown camaro, SS, Z28, ZL1 or otherwise. But we could still see a Z28, along the lines of what you and many other's have suggested.

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:25 PM   #10
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Quote:
By now everyone on this forum has the information from GM that they will not be manufacturing a 2010 Z/28 Camaro.
True for 2010....but who knows what might become available in 2011 or 2012 model years.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:25 PM   #11
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
Quote:
Dan, it has been stated by the Camaro brand manager that the Z/28 super charged program has been cancled for 2010. The 1969 Z/28 has everything to do with the new Z/28. Where do you think they got the idea to build the new Camaro in the first place? The Z/28 option was built for performance, handling and the person who wantes to drive there Camaro to the limit. How can you claim the 69 Z/28 and the canceled 2010 Z/28 have nothing in common? This tread is about the Z/28 that should be built not the one that has been axed. Jeff
You are quoting a response by Cheryl Pilcher (sp?) that we already know is a misquote. She never said anything was canceled. She was asked if there would be a Z/28 available at launch and she said no. We knew all along that there would never be one the first year. As for the 69, that was then, this is now. If GM builds one it will be because they think it is what they think people want now, not what it was 40 years ago.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:33 PM   #12
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
TAG UR IT, I do not work for GM, but i do work for a supplier of GM that has direct knowledge of special projects. "respectfully"

The Camaro brand manager said there would be no Super Charged 2010 Camaro. Did you not see that statement? Lutz also stated Camaro would not have a Super Charger. That is "FACT". If you cant find these quotes I will email them to you.

As far as preproduction Camaros rolling around with super charges on them you are 100% true! They were preproduction mules with CTS-V motors. The harsh reality is that GM was testing the CTS-V motor for the new Camaro and then came the gas wars and the final price of the car with the CTS-V motor put the car out of the price range in which it made sence for GM to build them.

As for you coment regarding me building my own race car. I own a 1991 1LE race car. All I was trying to do for this post is show that we can still have our Z/28 but it is not going to be the Super Charged Z/28 that everyone, myself included wanted.

In you last quote you said that GM is going to build what makes them money. You are 100% correct with that. If GM builds a Z/28 with the idea less is more regarding less weight and more power I think the car would be profitable and powerful. I am not trying to start a fight, just trying to show an option of how to get what we want. Jeff
No one has confirmed there was going to be a 2010 OR 11, OR whatever Z28 yet. I'm usually one of those that can easily fall into "THE SKY IS FALLING!" group, however, I'm holding out on this one. No one outside of GM knows what's going to happen. But to your topic

I think what you've outlined is a great idea. I don't see that they could drop that much without making it similar in content and in likeness to the Drag Pack Chally'. I'm not sure GM is willing to invest in a car they can only make a thousand of (I'm speculating of course) and charge more for less car. What I mean is why would they invest more resources into a car that they won't make money on? IMVHO, I just don't see that stipping the car is going to benefit them in any way. I can totally see (though I'm biased ) adding another $10-15K on a Z28 by keeping all the content of SS and adding more power. No, it's not traditional, but they've already said GT500 was one of their targets, well, a long time ago now, but I just can't fathom, in my simple head, a car as I've described will work for GM. If I'm wrong, no biggie, I'll fess' up.

Let's not get too down that those of us that wanted an LSA Z28 may not get one. Let's show GM some support and positive criticism. I'm still not giving up, but let's also keep our minds open, just like you're trying to do

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:56 PM   #13
ckellyme3

Drives: 1986 IROC 406 stroker
this whole Z28 business is getting old. I want the Z28 just as bad as anybody but I think what were all forgetting is that its SEP. 2008. The car itself comes out in MAR 2009. We still got a good 6 months before then. If you put all of the info together that you can gather on this forum and other websites its clear that a Z28 depends on how good this car sells after they come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done.................... Read between these lines!!!!

KEEP THE FAITH

My scheme

ckellyme3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:03 PM   #14
z28camaro2471
C5 Member #227

Drives: Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrail View Post
Well, maybe we will end up with a 1979 Z/28 instead. Ah!, the robust acceleration of a smog choked 350 rated at 175 horsepower!(Tongue firmly implanted in my cheek of course!)

Let's face it some very hallowed names have been dragged to some pretty low levels during the course of history. However, I seriously doubt that that type of mistake or pattern is something which GM would allow to happen again in today's highly competitive market.

Let's see what happens.
As an owner of a 1979 Z/28 I must point out that 175 hp was fairly respectable in 1979 (compared to what else was available).

I for one wanted a little more power so mine makes 300+ hp now (still with the original motor).

z28camaro2471 is offline   Reply With Quote