Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 12-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #15
ace32x

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Before I answer that, you don't like the Vette wheel with an MT for the strip?
i plan to get an MT set up down the road after i do a few more engine mods, but my current tires will be out before then and will need replacing and the nitto nt05r seems to be a good option cost wise and size options
Old 12-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #16
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Very awesome and interesting information, Justice. I always learn new things from you when it comes to suspension. I'm a firm believer of matching whoa! with go.

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #17
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace32x View Post
i plan to get an MT set up down the road after i do a few more engine mods, but my current tires will be out before then and will need replacing and the nitto nt05r seems to be a good option cost wise and size options
We have run so many different tires on our Camaros I would have to dig out my notes to remember them all. Combine that with client cars and we have sen 99% of them. This is what we have learned.

Given the weight of the Camaro the tire side wall has to be strong. We run Michelin Pilot Sport 2s on one Camaro. They are the Porsche Spec tire. They are fast and sticky. We like them. The Porsche they were designed for is a club racer. It is much lighter than the 5th Gen. We tear up the shoulders. Fast on track. They wear fast too.

The GYs that come with the 5th Gen are fast, but wear longer than the PS 2s

The Bridgestone RE-11 are the best, but at 180 tread wear we can't run them in the OUSCI and the only size that works with the 5th Gen is 305/30/19/XL.

There are a lot of Nitto users on the forum and they all seem to be happy with their tires. While this bit of advice is important to all tire buyers, it is especially true if the tires are from the more niche MFGs. Have your tires mounted by a shop that actually knows how to balance a wheel and tire with a road force machine. You'll notice many of the MFG owned tire stores do not have road force balance machines. There is a reason for that. The RF in the hands of a qualified tech can sort out the good and bad tires. That can get expensive if you are the tire MFG. You should leave with an almost perfectly balanced wheel and tire with an absolute minimal amount of weight.

The NT05R fits on your 11 wide ZL1 rear rim. If I read the specs right it is an XL side wall. The 00 tread wear should be sticky. If you are not complaining about understeer or pushing now, I think you'll be fine. Please let me know how it feels when you get a few miles on the setup.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #18
ace32x

Quote:
We have run so many different tires on our Camaros I would have to dig out my notes to remember them all. Combine that with client cars and we have sen 99% of them. This is what we have learned.

Given the weight of the Camaro the tire side wall has to be strong. We run Michelin Pilot Sport 2s on one Camaro. They are the Porsche Spec tire. They are fast and sticky. We like them. The Porsche they were designed for is a club racer. It is much lighter than the 5th Gen. We tear up the shoulders. Fast on track. They wear fast too.

The GYs that come with the 5th Gen are fast, but wear longer than the PS 2s

The Bridgestone RE-11 are the best, but at 180 tread wear we can't run them in the OUSCI and the only size that works with the 5th Gen is 305/30/19/XL.

There are a lot of Nitto users on the forum and they all seem to be happy with their tires. While this bit of advice is important to all tire buyers, it is especially true if the tires are from the more niche MFGs. Have your tires mounted by a shop that actually knows how to balance a wheel and tire with a road force machine. You'll notice many of the MFG owned tire stores do not have road force balance machines. There is a reason for that. The RF in the hands of a qualified tech can sort out the good and bad tires. That can get expensive if you are the tire MFG. You should leave with an almost perfectly balanced wheel and tire with an absolute minimal amount of weight.

The NT05R fits on your 11 wide ZL1 rear rim. If I read the specs right it is an XL side wall. The 00 tread wear should be sticky. If you are not complaining about understeer or pushing now, I think you'll be fine. Please let me know how it feels when you get a few miles on the setup.

its been cold up here and all the tracks have been shut down so i havent been able to get it on out a on track yet sadly :(. just alot of spirited driving and cruising around. i like the PS2's i ran them on my old 700 whp car and they were great. theyre just expensive in 20's is why i was looking at the nitto this time around
Old 12-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #19
JusticePete

Quote:
its been cold up here and all the tracks have been shut down so i havent been able to get it on out a on track yet sadly :(. just alot of spirited driving and cruising around. i like the PS2's i ran them on my old 700 whp car and they were great. theyre just expensive in 20's is why i was looking at the nitto this time around
Tell me about it. Roasting a set of 305/30/19 PS 2s in one test day still make my wallet One stinking day :( Then again, in doing our OPTIMA Sonic we went through four sets of tires in 3,000 miles or testing and setup Making a Hooters disappear + replacing two brand new rear tires =
Old 12-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #20
ace32x

Quote:
Tell me about it. Roasting a set of 305/30/19 PS 2s in one test day still make my wallet One stinking day :( Then again, in doing our OPTIMA Sonic we went through four sets of tires in 3,000 miles or testing and setup Making a Hooters disappear + replacing two brand new rear tires =
damn thats alot of tire haha! least you can write them all off ;D
Old 12-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #21
JusticePete

Quote:
damn thats alot of tire haha! least you can write them all off ;D
Bridgestone is very good to us

I have work to do with GY and Michelin. Maybe one of you guys would call and tell them who I am
Old 02-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #22
BeardWS6

Drives: 01 WS6
I`m wanting to run a wider tire on my stock ZL1 wheels 20x11 rear. Car is in the shop getting mods as we speak... What size could I go to and have no issues? Thanks!!Car should make 650-700rwhp when done..
Old 02-25-2013, 10:47 PM   #23
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardWS6 View Post
I`m wanting to run a wider tire on my stock ZL1 wheels 20x11 rear. Car is in the shop getting mods as we speak... What size could I go to and have no issues? Thanks!!Car should make 650-700rwhp when done..
Stay with the OE spec 305s. I know one of the test mules for the ZL1 had 315s in the rear. They sort of fit except when they didn't and rubbed. That is why you have 305s
Old 03-02-2013, 08:42 AM   #24
tomster
RedLine

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE
Im running P285/35R20 Potenza RE070R R2 (Run flat) All the way around On my track wheels. LOVE THEM! They Stick WAY Better in the corners than the goodyears. Much more predictable than the goodyears. They dont snap loose. And when your confiedent of your tire your lap times improve. When the good years on the stock wheels are worn out i think i will replace them with P305/30R20 Potenza RE070 (non runflat) all the way around.
tomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #25
tomster
RedLine

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE
I Am also very partail to Bridgestone......
tomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #26
JusticePete

Bridgestone side walls tend to be stiffer. The ZL1 Custom GYs have more than a t6read specific compound, the side wals are suited to the weight of the Camaro.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:42 AM   #27
VJZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
What do you guys think of the Cooper Zeon RS3-S? I'm thinking about running these?
VJZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote