Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-05-2016, 11:45 AM   #1
samsumon

Drives: 4 wheels
Ive been in a 2016 Mustang rental for a week. Some thoughts

Hello, so this week Ive been traveling for work and I got myself a mustang instead of the 2016 RS that was on the lot (I own the 2ss, figured i'd check out the other guys). Now, I'm very BIG on the "little" things. I didn't buy the car solely for the engine. I like having a car that surprises you with, "wow they thought about this small feature that makes my experience jus that much better"..

I can honestly say I'm pleasantly surprised in how great the Mustang is, but also, very disappointed on how GM did not copy some of the simple features that a Mustang has.. The few things that the Mustang does right IMO, that GM should have had:

1- The info system can ACTUALLY index your phone correctly. I plug my iPhone into the mustang and can browse my ENTIRE music catalog and playlist perfectly. My Camaro can't do that. Period. It just does NOT work... At all. Playlist don't populate at all, I get duplicate playlist, the list goes on...

2- The Mustang has a hidden storage compartment on the driver side which is a push to open type of compartment. This has been incredible in storing things. Its about the width of a business card and the length of a pen and a half. This little storage compartment has been incredible at putting my keys and few random things in there. We all know how bad the Camaro lacks in the storage and convenience department.. I don't buy that there is no room. GM could and should have added small compartments, even hidden ones, for things such as your keys or wallet or phone. The center dash one is a joke. It gets burning hot in there, the USB cable sits at a very awkward angle that requires your cable to take an immediate 90* turn, thus blocking the entire bottom of the compartment.

3- Seat belt holders. The mustang has those small clips (leather I might add) that hold the seatbelt further down your body. You don't notice how much this makes a difference until you use a car with one. Truly makes driving more comfortable.

4- Very subjective, but........ Manual handbrake... I miss a manual handbrake on my car. I understand why e-brakes are the new thing now, but a manual brake just feels right as well as gives you the vote of confidence that it is on there. I won't lie, more than once I have pulled the e brake tab on my Camaro, only to find out the thing never engaged and my car slowly rolled a bit.

There are some other things here and there, and overall I'm very much in love with my Camaro, but after checking out the competition, I truly can say Ford (at least on their base v6 model) did an incredible job with the little creature comforts things.. I'm not sure where all the hate comes from as far as both groups goes; but, both platforms seem to be a PHENOMENAL choice for anyone wanting an American muscle car.

I'm very content with how GM and Ford are progressing forward. Truly a great time to be alive!
samsumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:20 PM   #2
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
Maybe the 2018 Camaro have some of this features coming up.
MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:52 PM   #3
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsumon View Post
Hello, so this week Ive been traveling for work and I got myself a mustang instead of the 2016 RS that was on the lot (I own the 2ss, figured i'd check out the other guys). Now, I'm very BIG on the "little" things. I didn't buy the car solely for the engine. I like having a car that surprises you with, "wow they thought about this small feature that makes my experience jus that much better"..

I can honestly say I'm pleasantly surprised in how great the Mustang is, but also, very disappointed on how GM did not copy some of the simple features that a Mustang has.. The few things that the Mustang does right IMO, that GM should have had:

1- The info system can ACTUALLY index your phone correctly. I plug my iPhone into the mustang and can browse my ENTIRE music catalog and playlist perfectly. My Camaro can't do that. Period. It just does NOT work... At all. Playlist don't populate at all, I get duplicate playlist, the list goes on...

2- The Mustang has a hidden storage compartment on the driver side which is a push to open type of compartment. This has been incredible in storing things. Its about the width of a business card and the length of a pen and a half. This little storage compartment has been incredible at putting my keys and few random things in there. We all know how bad the Camaro lacks in the storage and convenience department.. I don't buy that there is no room. GM could and should have added small compartments, even hidden ones, for things such as your keys or wallet or phone. The center dash one is a joke. It gets burning hot in there, the USB cable sits at a very awkward angle that requires your cable to take an immediate 90* turn, thus blocking the entire bottom of the compartment.

3- Seat belt holders. The mustang has those small clips (leather I might add) that hold the seatbelt further down your body. You don't notice how much this makes a difference until you use a car with one. Truly makes driving more comfortable.

4- Very subjective, but........ Manual handbrake... I miss a manual handbrake on my car. I understand why e-brakes are the new thing now, but a manual brake just feels right as well as gives you the vote of confidence that it is on there. I won't lie, more than once I have pulled the e brake tab on my Camaro, only to find out the thing never engaged and my car slowly rolled a bit.

There are some other things here and there, and overall I'm very much in love with my Camaro, but after checking out the competition, I truly can say Ford (at least on their base v6 model) did an incredible job with the little creature comforts things.. I'm not sure where all the hate comes from as far as both groups goes; but, both platforms seem to be a PHENOMENAL choice for anyone wanting an American muscle car.

I'm very content with how GM and Ford are progressing forward. Truly a great time to be alive!
When I plugged my iPhone in via USB it just works great with Apple Carplay. Remember, the Camaro is the sports coupe where as the Mustang is the roomier cruiser. Gotta give up a little room for the improved performance and handling the Camaro offers. If you want practicality then there are obviously better options.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:57 PM   #4
timmy8784
Drippin' Wet Auto Detail

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
When I plugged my iPhone in via USB it just works great with Apple Carplay. Remember, the Camaro is the sports coupe where as the Mustang is the roomier cruiser. Gotta give up a little room for the improved performance and handling the Camaro offers. If you want practicality then there are obviously better options.
+1
timmy8784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:05 PM   #5
HyperBlueX2

Drives: '22 Silverado 2500HD Duramax LTZ
Id rather be quicker........... and drive my Camaro.....
Old 07-05-2016, 01:13 PM   #6
mcintyre1969

Drives: 1968 SS/RS, 2006 H2 2016 2SS White
Did you notice your hands are ALWAYS in the sun while driving. It is annoying as hell.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:30 PM   #7
RallyHT

Drives: 2017 2LT RS Conv V6
Several days in a convertible Mustang is the reason I bought a Camaro. Yes, the Mustang is, dare I say, a great car. And yes, it takes a little time to get used to that long nose. But when I compared the two, the Camaro offered so many more options in configuring a car, plus so many things you don't see at a V6 level (cooled seats, leather, light interior, a large enough screen to read, automatic roof closing - at speed).

I agree with the Motor Trend guys. The Camaro no longer competes head-to-head with the Mustang and Challenger. It is an elevated vehicle that can compete with the best of Europe. The Mustang is still a great pony car. I bought the Camaro because it is much more than a pony car now.
Attached Images

Order Help on Camaro6
RallyHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:45 PM   #8
Drags1998

Drives: 15 SilveradoLTZ,162SSVert BlazerRS
Same legroom as the Camaro!!! LOL!!!
Drags1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:55 PM   #9
samsumon

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperblue16vert View Post
Id rather be quicker........... and drive my Camaro.....
Quicker between red lights? Still don't understand the obsession with people wanting to be .001 seconds quicker than the next guy..

And I'm sorry to all, but my thoughts are 100% stuff that could be added to this current Camaro. Besides a manual handbrake, which I can understand its limitations, infotainment and CarPlay both are a disgrace and the true lack of pockets or storage compartments is a significant issue to most. There was even a thread with pages of pages of "where do I put my phone". My Camaro is my DD, But there is still room for improvement.
samsumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:58 PM   #10
Bassment

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2SS M6
Music is perfect in my car for organization, might just be your phone or how it's set up. i like the electric parking break, it saves money, space and weight and looks wayyyy better. I don't know what a seat belt clip is but I've never noticed the seat belt on my before. I guess extra storage is useful but I wouldn't have ever used it, I've never stored anything in my car; and there's a huge storage thing right on the armrest.
Bassment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:02 PM   #11
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
My experience with the radio systems in a three makes is that none of them are perfect. I do agree that the mustang with the premium interior is very nice.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:13 PM   #12
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
OK....so the Mustang works better with your phone (an individual case), has a slight storage advantage, and comfortable belt holders.

That's great, but that's not very much. I was expecting a much longer list of items. You didn't mention anything about how it drove, so I'm going to assume, not as good as your Camaro.

Now put us a list of things together you like about your Camaro that the Mustang doesn't have. (like HUD, and 8" configurable drivers screen, just to name a few interior goodies).
Old 07-05-2016, 02:18 PM   #13
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
OK....so the Mustang works better with your phone (an individual case), has a slight storage advantage, and comfortable belt holders.

That's great, but that's not very much. I was expecting a much longer list of items. You didn't mention anything about how it drove, so I'm going to assume, not as good as your Camaro.

Now put us a list of things together you like about your Camaro that the Mustang doesn't have. (like HUD, and 8" configurable drivers screen, just to name a few interior goodies).
Why so offensive? So many on here at like your calling their mom a whore if you say anything but postives about the Camaro. There was nothing wrong with the OP's post at all. Learning about the other guy is a good thing. And those little things can make a big difference if you spend a lot of time in your car.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:22 PM   #14
tcal780

Drives: 16 1SS White M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsumon View Post
4- Very subjective, but........ Manual handbrake... I miss a manual handbrake on my car.
+1!!
tcal780 is offline   Reply With Quote