Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-23-2019, 10:42 PM   #29
Mouse330

Drives: 2011 2SS, 2006 GMC Sierra
While cranking with a scan tool or code reader that’s shows data see if there’s a cranking rpm
Mouse330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:25 AM   #30
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse330 View Post
P0420 and p0430 are catalytic converters efficiency codes. Does not mean the cars are clogged! Not going to produce a no start issue
I pulled the cats and they were not clogged. I'm far from stock these days and I believe the cat code was from headers with high flow cats.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:47 PM   #31
imponte

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
Hi, i have the same problem. But only cold weather, cold start cause this issue, car is just starting but after 1 second the engine stoppng.. Second try no issue, it has a perfect start..
The car spec: Slp long tube headers, small handmade mufflers instead of the cats, and slp catback xpipe..
I know this codes dues to O2 sensors.

Here my question. My car have 2 O2 sensor, one before cat, one after cat. Can i just turn of the after one w/ tune? Is this important for the air/fuel ratio, or just for the cat is there or not? I've heard that in some vehicles, two sensors are adjusting the air-fuel ratio
imponte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:37 PM   #32
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Sorry for no final update on the issue. Believe it or not, without throwing a code, my cam position sensor went out on me. Nothing to do with the cats or O2 sensors, and my tuner said this was the first time he'd seen a cam position sensor go out without throwing a code. Overall he has seen very few cam position sensors go out, but this was a first without throwing a code for him. He tried to see if the car had fuel, it did, then tested for spark, it didn't, so he chased the wiring around to make sure nothing chafed or burned/melted, which it hadn't, so he replaced the cam position sensor and the car fired right up.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:41 PM   #33
imponte

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Sorry for no final update on the issue. Believe it or not, without throwing a code, my cam position sensor went out on me. Nothing to do with the cats or O2 sensors, and my tuner said this was the first time he'd seen a cam position sensor go out without throwing a code. Overall he has seen very few cam position sensors go out, but this was a first without throwing a code for him. He tried to see if the car had fuel, it did, then tested for spark, it didn't, so he chased the wiring around to make sure nothing chafed or burned/melted, which it hadn't, so he replaced the cam position sensor and the car fired right up.
Good for you But my issue is totally different. I have catless pipe.

Here my question. My car have 2 O2 sensor, one before cat, one after cat. Can i just turn of the after one w/ tune? Is this important for the air/fuel ratio, or just for the cat is there or not? I've heard that in some vehicles, two sensors are adjusting the air-fuel ratio

Last edited by imponte; 01-07-2020 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:40 PM   #34
imponte

Any suggestions?
Old 01-07-2020, 08:47 PM   #35
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Imponte, yes, you can turn off the reporting on the rear O2 sensors via a tune safely. They are only used to measure catalyst efficiency on these cars, not for altering AF ratio.

Pyroguy, I don't find that all that surprising anymore. I have had 2 upstream O2 sensors fail on me on my car and it never threw a code. The second time one failed the sensor was completely dead, zero voltage. You would think major sensor failure would trigger a CEL, but I gave up on relying on the CEL. Now, any strange behavior in the way it runs and I scan it immediately and check trims and O2 behavior/speed.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:16 AM   #36
imponte

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Imponte, yes, you can turn off the reporting on the rear O2 sensors via a tune safely. They are only used to measure catalyst efficiency on these cars, not for altering AF ratio.

Pyroguy, I don't find that all that surprising anymore. I have had 2 upstream O2 sensors fail on me on my car and it never threw a code. The second time one failed the sensor was completely dead, zero voltage. You would think major sensor failure would trigger a CEL, but I gave up on relying on the CEL. Now, any strange behavior in the way it runs and I scan it immediately and check trims and O2 behavior/speed.
That's what I'm looking for