Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #43
sodapop

Drives: 2011 2SS
Did someone forget that Canada owns a big chunk of GM? And they screwed the stock holders alot more than the workers. Don't ask me how I know that! I don't get it's a foreign car to a country that owns it. If we charged as much for Buick in China as much as we charge Canadians for a Chevy maybe we wouldn't be doing so good over there. It's a good thing the Japs don't charge as much for a car here because it's foreign. OR IS IT??
sodapop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #44
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
All you guys are too young to know where that policy of NO SALES to Canadians came from!

It started with USA dealers coming to Canada when our dollar was at .58 cents of the greenback in the 80's/90's. Brokers were coming up by the droves with empty transports and taking high end cars and trucks into the USA. It was killing the dealers in border towns in Canada. We retail buyers had to sign at purchase that we would not take the car to the USA and sell it or sell it to a broker within 6 months. Dealers were not allowed to sell to Americans or Canadians who were known to be taking cars south. This was done by GM Canada to protect the dealers on this side of the border. US dealers were buying new for less than they were charged by GM. So it was good for GM USA TOO.!

Then the US dollar tumbled and now the US dealers cried fowl. When our dollar hit $107.5 to the USA buck in 07 the crying was about Canucks coming down and bringing the high end and low production models over the 49th. We could save $17,500 on a loaded Silverado. All the brands (BMW , VW, Lexas,) etc etc made it tougher to Import by cooking a deal with RIV Canada ( Register of Imported Vehicles) requiring " SAFETY changes" AND each brand implemented the restrictions on warranty with some removing it all together resulting in a class action lawsuit.

This has nothing to do with nationality. It is GM protecting the dealers. I understand if a USA dealer sells " new " to a non resident the fine is 3 times the money they made on the deal. If they keep doing it they will loose the franchise.

Back in the 70's when a Firebird or GTO OR Corvette made in the USA was sold in Canada we got an "exchange credit " right on the MSRP window sticker when that model was not made in Canada.

GM Canada stopped doing that and now just keeps the money. This is why we pay more in Canada. The profit margin is higher.

My 2010 CAMARO mud guards retail for $157.00 each up here while I bought them and had them shipped from USA 1/2 that price.

It is not just GM or Automotive. It is the same in retail such as furniture, clothing, Magazines, BOOKS, cards. There are 2 prices. USA and Canada. Ours is always higher. Why do you think Target is coming to Canada?. (They saw what Walmart found out.) Because the mark ups are higher resulting in higher gross profit than the USA locations while the mall rents are lower too.

So if you have a cousin who lives in a non tax state such as Oregon....... have him order the car and you will be the 2nd owner. Don't abuse the car and the warranty will kick in at 6 months OR 12,000 KMS (which ever comes last).

And YES......Americans are coming by the bus load on " tours" to get the medications they can't afford in the USA. Others wind up in the hospital and leave for home without paying the bills.

Last edited by OUR72GTO; 08-13-2012 at 06:48 PM.
OUR72GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #45
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
Canada, the true north strong in overpricing and taxation. And definitely not free. GM canada completely dismissed any claim on my pliable black paint. Since last month I have gone cross border shopping with my native girlfriend for everything. I wont give anymore tax revenue here unless an emergency. Its just a bad investment without even the slightest return on tax dollars. The financial abuse ends. FYI I have paid about $800 in retail sales tax to the states already and you guys are more than welcome.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #46
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonstuart View Post
I blame Canada.
I blame canadians in general.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:44 PM   #47
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
I will second that. I have a very early vin# SS that came from the factory with a defective output shaft. When I broke mine the best they would do is fix my tranny. It's extremely noisy now and I will be returning to the dealer this fall to argue my case again. Last year they said it was fine. I can assure you it's a lot more noisy now then last fall. If I had been a US buyer I would of had it replaced and that's fact from this site.

I still stood in line up here in Canada to buy one and paid $6k more then my US counterparts did in even though it was built in Canada.

When I go this year I will have a tranny fluid analysis check done by a lab ( Cat Finning) in hand when I go. It's total BS that we get treated as second class customers north of the 49th. I can assure you that I didn't want to pay $45k for a defective car before I even put a mile on it. How long will it be before the tranny is totally F--CKED and I will have to pay for it on my dime.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #48
Merc
In The Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
OP, I'm not gonna fight with you, but I'm sure a bunch of people will agree with me when I say that I think you're overreacting.
Sorry about this, but how would you react if the shoe was on the other foot? Just saying.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #49
Merc
In The Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichGreene View Post
Until Canada can get their act together and manufacture their own National car,NOT a rebadged Ford Or GM product, they're going to have to rely on buying foreign.
They've lacked the skills to come up with their own product since the ill-fated Maniic GT of the late 60s.
Even though most of them speak our language and the bordering Provinces are close, They are Still Foreigners and Must pay just like any other foreign country.
You got to be kidding.:( Maybe we should cut off our water and hydro power we ship south and wait for the howling to start.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #50
RichGreene
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 1SS M6 Green 1993 Custom Eldo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuryman View Post
You got to be kidding.:( Maybe we should cut off our water and hydro power we ship south and wait for the howling to start.
I just read where the geniuses in Canada are leveling Niagara Falls to build condos.
RichGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #51
camarozzzz

Drives: Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuryman View Post
Sorry about this, but how would you react if the shoe was on the other foot? Just saying.
He is OVERREACTING by a ****load. Go look in the Canada forum at his other posts. He is treating this like some sort of conspiracy.

Making a solid case calmly is one thing, this guy has gone off of the deep end though. If he really hated GM so badly he would sell his Zl1 instantly...and go buy something else. He honestly cannot hate them that much as he still has his Zl1 and will most likely be using its warranty when needed...
camarozzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #52
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Would that be be the part where his comments about how he was not treated the same as a American GM customer so his comments were removed?/ censored.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #53
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichGreene View Post
I just read where the geniuses in Canada are leveling Niagara Falls to build condos.
Yes ....you must have read that on the Internet that Al Gore invented.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:20 PM   #54
camarozzzz

Drives: Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUR72GTO View Post
Would that be be the part where his comments about how he was not treated the same as a American GM customer so his comments were removed?/ censored.
If it is in the Canada forum then yes, there is a post there that he talks about how his posts were deleted due to a conspiracy. He may have edited them by now due to my replies on them calling him out on overreacting.
camarozzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:35 AM   #55
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

No one likes to have their comments censored if they don't break forum rules.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #56
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
http://www.totalbankruptcy.com/blog/...id-bankruptcy/

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/b...any/index.html

They mortgaged every major asset they owned including the Ford name to borrow 29.6 billion dollars. This is old news. It is luck they managed to raise the capitol and survive just before the credit market all but dried up and the auto sales market tanked. Ford bet it wouldn't tank but it did. They by luck had enough cash to make it through so yeah it was luck.
Google search will give you all the sources you need. As for money needs. Well GM is bigger than Ford. Of course it takes more.

Those are interesting and pointed out a few things I was not aware of.

As of 2009, GM was not bigger than Ford, at least in market share, GM was just under 16% and Ford was just over 15%...if they were bigger per manpower and facilities, that just underscores how horribly they were being managed, if they had more people and resources, and they could only do less than 1% better than Ford, thats the biggest red flag there is.......

But you state 30 billion in loans as if its a huge amount? You and they also set it as if Ford should not of had any loans, What company of any size doesnt have loans at any given time? which for your argument makes 30 billion sound like alot. If you take the 6 billion taken for retooling and the other 5 billion for normal business expenses, both of which the other companies had taken loans out for similar things, your only talking 19 billion of extrenous loans.

Here is a statement taken from the 2009 reported finacial records.

*Ended the year (2009) with $25.5 billion of Automotive gross cash and $34.3 billion in Automotive debt

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=31920

So even if they had taken 30 billion out for only cash purposes, they were showing only 9.3 billion in dept, that would be all loans and other projected inclusions such as leases etc. Less than 20% of the companies net worth. Well within most any companies comfort zone and usual status.Ford was actually hiring and openeing a new plant for the retooled eco lineup per the governments requirements.

While GM was firing 14 of every 16 employees, getting rid of union pension and medical retirement funds as a desperate bid to shed costs, had sunk to less than 16% of the car market (ford actually went up 1% to 15%), thats including all thier individual lines, such as Chevy, Hummer etc, and filing bankruptcy (we should include the billions they got rid of through the bankruptcy but we dont) as they were over 69 billion in the hole, thats right, almost the whole of thier net worth at the time..the only thing that saved them was over 100 billion in give-me's, and that cost hasnt stopped yet, they are still recieving free money..while Ford was solvent enough to not need even close to that large an influx, even counting the loans you state they got solely for the purpose.

So one company gets 29 billion, the other gets 100+ billion to survive....which do you consider the stronger company? Considering they had basicly equal amounts of the market share pre bailout, it was Ford no question.

Last edited by Rhyder; 08-16-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote