Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2017, 03:49 AM   #15
riozlander
that guy <--------
 
riozlander's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 camaro V6 LS M6
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: southern Commiefornia
Posts: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUNNAH View Post
What is NRE???
Nelsons racing engines

-dies from shock-
riozlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:04 AM   #16
CamaroFred


 
CamaroFred's Avatar
 
Drives: Miss Con Ception
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 2,998
All that time and money to beat an old man in a walker
__________________
2011 1SS/RS LS3 CGM
CamaroFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:52 AM   #17
MyLocalDJ
 
MyLocalDJ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 2LS
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 238
__________________
MyLocalDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:24 AM   #18
JantzenOKC


 
JantzenOKC's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Edmond, Oklahoma
Posts: 3,073
It's a shame that there isn't a turbo kit out there to buy any more. They work so well on these engines. But the demand isn't there for the V6 crowd. 99% of them will just upgrade to a V8. If they can only sell a few kits then no way is it worth it to anyone to produce one.
__________________
3.6L Twin Turbo V6
Garrett GT28 turbos -- Jacfab forged connecting rods -- Diamond forged pistons(10.5:1) -- Alky Control Methonal Injection -- CircleD 2E triple disc torque converter -- BMR suspension
10.75 @ 131mph
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:47 AM   #19
MyLocalDJ
 
MyLocalDJ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 2LS
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 238
I honestly think the price point is one of the big hurdles for the V6 crowd. I have been on the fence for the SC kit but when I look at the investment for the kit and then the labor, I am way over the top with what the car is worth. So I can see why people would just go to the V8. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying the kits are not worth the price, but the justification is not in balance from the owner perspective. Now having said that, I have over $100K invested in a Foose Mustang that I probably would be lucky to see $25K on a resale. I knew that going in but knew I would have it indefinitely. So the same consideration would be here. Invest and keep or trade up... I already have several thousand invested in the Camaro like most of us have so that sitting on the fence is probably going to buckle soon.
__________________
MyLocalDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:52 PM   #20
1Coopgt

 
1Coopgt's Avatar
 
Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Rochester,NY
Posts: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLocalDJ View Post
I honestly think the price point is one of the big hurdles for the V6 crowd. I have been on the fence for the SC kit but when I look at the investment for the kit and then the labor, I am way over the top with what the car is worth. So I can see why people would just go to the V8. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying the kits are not worth the price, but the justification is not in balance from the owner perspective. Now having said that, I have over $100K invested in a Foose Mustang that I probably would be lucky to see $25K on a resale. I knew that going in but knew I would have it indefinitely. So the same consideration would be here. Invest and keep or trade up... I already have several thousand invested in the Camaro like most of us have so that sitting on the fence is probably going to buckle soon.
Totally agree . I just can't justify the cost .
__________________
Mods, K&N CAI ,VTC , GM Perf Axleback Exhaust, Elite Eng CC and CSS, GM Strut Tower Brace,Carbon Fiber Anvil Spoiler,ASC T5 Splitter,Gen5diy Foglight kit.
1Coopgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:49 PM   #21
riozlander
that guy <--------
 
riozlander's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 camaro V6 LS M6
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: southern Commiefornia
Posts: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLocalDJ View Post
I honestly think the price point is one of the big hurdles for the V6 crowd. I have been on the fence for the SC kit but when I look at the investment for the kit and then the labor, I am way over the top with what the car is worth. So I can see why people would just go to the V8. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying the kits are not worth the price, but the justification is not in balance from the owner perspective. Now having said that, I have over $100K invested in a Foose Mustang that I probably would be lucky to see $25K on a resale. I knew that going in but knew I would have it indefinitely. So the same consideration would be here. Invest and keep or trade up... I already have several thousand invested in the Camaro like most of us have so that sitting on the fence is probably going to buckle soon.
True so very true.
I just like to work on cars not in it to make money or start a business. But i mean shoot if haggard garage can just pie cut pipes and slap a eBay k04 turbo on a car and boost it(granted just to blow it up because cars junk anyways)
Why can't a ragged turbo kit be built on one pipe! Its one pipe on both sides. 5-10psi would be decent gains. I honestly believe for under 5k it can be done.
Tho id go with BorgWarner or turbo bandit for the turbos. Get some quality
And pay a pro to tune the car.
When you look at fabrication its not hard. But it is labor intensive and that translates in to big money if you translate it to a aftermarket application to be sold.
In truth I'd be cheaper to get a Gen 6 turbo 4 and do a big turbo swap and just upgraded the existing system. or buy a v8 and go form there.
I dont like doing what everyone does. I like just being weird and different.

My crown Vic i built to be a track corner machine. I blew 10k and a car that ultimately blew up 4 years down the line. Making a 4500 pound lethargic v8 come to a dead stop........so many many many new rotors and pads lol

In the end its a hobby only gear heads get. Most people shake there heads and say dumb ass could of bought a house for that money
riozlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:15 PM   #22
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]
 
Lil' Nasty's Avatar
 
Drives: Supercharged LLT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLocalDJ View Post
I honestly think the price point is one of the big hurdles for the V6 crowd. I have been on the fence for the SC kit but when I look at the investment for the kit and then the labor, I am way over the top with what the car is worth. So I can see why people would just go to the V8. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying the kits are not worth the price, but the justification is not in balance from the owner perspective. Now having said that, I have over $100K invested in a Foose Mustang that I probably would be lucky to see $25K on a resale. I knew that going in but knew I would have it indefinitely. So the same consideration would be here. Invest and keep or trade up... I already have several thousand invested in the Camaro like most of us have so that sitting on the fence is probably going to buckle soon.
agreed. Luckily when I got my IPF kit way back when, it was 5610 shipped, still a lot of coin but not bad for a group buy. FWIW, I thought about the the overkill retro kits but I don't think its worth spending another 2-3K.
__________________
Lil' Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:50 PM   #23
riozlander
that guy <--------
 
riozlander's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 camaro V6 LS M6
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: southern Commiefornia
Posts: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Nasty View Post
agreed. Luckily when I got my IPF kit way back when, it was 5610 shipped, still a lot of coin but not bad for a group buy. FWIW, I thought about the the overkill retro kits but I don't think its worth spending another 2-3K.
The thing with me on super charging is it has to be a big massive roots blower that sticks out the hood and looks cool.

I worry about belt slip pully size psi changing the oil in a supercharger.
The limitations on rpm. Lots of what ifs.

The obvious choice for turbo is rear mount turbo before the mufflers would be the cheapest place to start and cheaper rout. I might just end up doing that in the end. Get a electronic oil pump and oil tank with return and tune. Since it is all after the o2 sensors I would just have to worry bout the tune. If you blow up a turbo back there less likely to eat a engine as well and heat goes down. Hate to say it but makes the most sense and cost effective solution.
riozlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:40 AM   #24
riozlander
that guy <--------
 
riozlander's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 camaro V6 LS M6
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: southern Commiefornia
Posts: 679
Okay. So I am slowly finding pics of my idea other have done with the lfx.

The easiest most straight forward one is going to be top mount.
Most room as well there will be no hiding these puppies under the hood.

The compressor side is always the largest. Next to the plastic engine cover if the compressor side tilted at a 40-60 degree one side would have to be off set in front of the motor on the passenger Side,


The reason I am so dead set on a design like this is heat.

Heat kills turbos but also is good to a point.
Hot exhaust gases are faster and excited there for having more energy and have good strong pulse and hit the turbine faster. Also want to avoid sharp bends want nice gradual bends like a water slide to help guide the exhaust gases faster.

So I believe I have a decent idea in my head how to mount a 60mm turbo. Witch I believe to be the biggest that could be run in the available room.

Now its all down to the waiting game for money lol.

I have been looking at many side profiles front profiles and top down engine bay pics. If I can find the video explaining. The best way to set up turbo manifold design I will post it in this thread.
Or you can find it on YouTube under turbobadit. Or YouTube user pumpish
Head crazy Russian and designer of some of the most bat shit Mercedes Benz turbo builds off the old w124 m103 and m104 engine turbo conversions I've ever seen.
But he is legit a escaped mental patient from Russia granted asylum in another country.
riozlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 04:34 AM   #25
riozlander
that guy <--------
 
riozlander's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 camaro V6 LS M6
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: southern Commiefornia
Posts: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by riozlander View Post
Okay. So I am slowly finding pics of my idea other have done with the lfx.

The easiest most straight forward one is going to be top mount.
Most room as well there will be no hiding these puppies under the hood.

The compressor side is always the largest. Next to the plastic engine cover if the compressor side tilted at a 40-60 degree one side would have to be off set in front of the motor on the passenger Side,


The reason I am so dead set on a design like this is heat.

Heat kills turbos but also is good to a point.
Hot exhaust gases are faster and excited there for having more energy and have good strong pulse and hit the turbine faster. Also want to avoid sharp bends want nice gradual bends like a water slide to help guide the exhaust gases faster.

So I believe I have a decent idea in my head how to mount a 60mm turbo. Witch I believe to be the biggest that could be run in the available room.

Now its all down to the waiting game for money lol.

I have been looking at many side profiles front profiles and top down engine bay pics. If I can find the video explaining. The best way to set up turbo manifold design I will post it in this thread.
Or you can find it on YouTube under turbobadit. Or YouTube user pumpish
Head crazy Russian and designer of some of the most bat shit Mercedes Benz turbo builds off the old w124 m103 and m104 engine turbo conversions I've ever seen.
But he is legit a escaped mental patient from Russia granted asylum in another country.
TURBOBANDIT explanation



roman builds welds makes and puts this stuff together. so i would trust his turbo's.............even tho he is insane


where i believe this build is possible is the fact that this picture exists
Name:  14 (1).jpg
Views: 362
Size:  261.7 KB
riozlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:09 AM   #26
JantzenOKC


 
JantzenOKC's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Edmond, Oklahoma
Posts: 3,073
It's possible to put the turbo under the hood but I think heat would be a problem with a setup like that. There's a reason most people low mount them like this.
Attached Images
 
__________________
3.6L Twin Turbo V6
Garrett GT28 turbos -- Jacfab forged connecting rods -- Diamond forged pistons(10.5:1) -- Alky Control Methonal Injection -- CircleD 2E triple disc torque converter -- BMR suspension
10.75 @ 131mph
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:43 AM   #27
riozlander
that guy <--------
 
riozlander's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 camaro V6 LS M6
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: southern Commiefornia
Posts: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by JantzenOKC View Post
It's possible to put the turbo under the hood but I think heat would be a problem with a setup like that. There's a reason most people low mount them like this.
id like to plan to DD rain or bad weather. not necessarily a track/drag spec only car. more worried of those becoming a direct water to intake mod lol.

i dont think i would really be pushing my turbos past 6-10 psi the 1st year un tell i could be able to build a fully built motor.

i think with a proper intercooler, hood vents, and a beefed up rad. trans cooler oil cooler the car would be doing pretty solid.

id like to have 1 turbo out front like that the other one on the driver side next to the motor with it at a off set the impeller facing up more pointed at the hood. road going is be worried the right bump would smash them or water getting in, or dirt.

on the crown vic fourms alot of dudes who rand procharged set ups or custom super charged set ups had there filters going down to the road.........
lots of bad hydrolock stories after sucking up water

more this and just relocate stuff and not a v8 Name:  image (1).jpg
Views: 234
Size:  158.4 KB
riozlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:49 PM   #28
JHurt
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro V6 RS
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Saint Marys GA
Posts: 10
I dont know personally, but I have a friend that is a certified Chevy mechanic, if that really matters, that told me that a big reason for the integrated headers, maybe not the whole reason, was for a turbo application. Said for a less turbo lag. Again, I dont really know
JHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.