Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-25-2019, 07:38 AM   #1
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
DI and carbon build up no more Walnuts!

Found this on youtube so it must be true!

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:55 AM   #2
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
I think this is a good alternative for those that don’t want to mess with catch cans.

I’m going to try this product on my girlfriend’s car.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:04 PM   #3
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
I think this is a good alternative for those that don’t want to mess with catch cans.

I’m going to try this product on my girlfriend’s car.
I was going to say the same thing. Looks like a reasonable alternative to filing down hose fittings and mucking around with catch can brackets.

Might try this on my Silverado when the weather warms up. I had a catch can on the truck for about 10K miles but removed it when it would fill up with condensation during the winter months and require almost weekly draining.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:55 PM   #4
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
I'm gonna get a can of the stuff & try it on my M16 & AR bolts...
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 05:11 PM   #5
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
We can show you the damage these cause to the piston skirts and cylinder walls. Old port injection carbon was a "soft carbon" and these are perfectly safe. BUT the deposits on GDI engine are a very hard abrasive make up due to the high heat the valves operate at bakes these to a crystalline sand like in hardness. While this video shows piston tops and combustion chambers, the deposits on the valves are the issue. While most of what is loosened is expelled out the exhaust, the particles forced between the piston and cylinder walls causes scouring. While not severe in most cases, it is damage just the same, and the more you do this, the more damage occurs. Want to see how effective these are? Remove your intake manifold (5 minute job with minimal tools). Take pictures of the valves inside the ports. Now do one of these spray treatments. Drive several days as instructed and then remove the IM again and examine the valves. Less than half will be removed.

Also, damage and wear to the valve guides as these deposits are drawn into the guide with each cycle of the valve and this wears the soft brass guides over time.

The other thing is if you install our E2-X system, you will notice better fuel economy improvement (unless the valve coking is already severe enough) that will pay for your system over time. Fleet owners install these for just that reason. Fuel savings from eliminating most knock retard. As KR is pulling ignition timing, the engine is not running at peak efficiency.

Just a caution no matter what a manufacturer claims, GDI engines have issues other engines in the past have not, and need special attention. Again, don't take out word on this, try it yourself and see.

Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 05:51 PM   #6
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post
We can show you the damage these cause to the piston skirts and cylinder walls. Old port injection carbon was a "soft carbon" and these are perfectly safe. BUT the deposits on GDI engine are a very hard abrasive make up due to the high heat the valves operate at bakes these to a crystalline sand like in hardness. While this video shows piston tops and combustion chambers, the deposits on the valves are the issue. While most of what is loosened is expelled out the exhaust, the particles forced between the piston and cylinder walls causes scouring. While not severe in most cases, it is damage just the same, and the more you do this, the more damage occurs. Want to see how effective these are? Remove your intake manifold (5 minute job with minimal tools). Take pictures of the valves inside the ports. Now do one of these spray treatments. Drive several days as instructed and then remove the IM again and examine the valves. Less than half will be removed.

Also, damage and wear to the valve guides as these deposits are drawn into the guide with each cycle of the valve and this wears the soft brass guides over time.

The other thing is if you install our E2-X system, you will notice better fuel economy improvement (unless the valve coking is already severe enough) that will pay for your system over time. Fleet owners install these for just that reason. Fuel savings from eliminating most knock retard. As KR is pulling ignition timing, the engine is not running at peak efficiency.

Just a caution no matter what a manufacturer claims, GDI engines have issues other engines in the past have not, and need special attention. Again, don't take out word on this, try it yourself and see.

I don't even listen to you any more when I see the copo Camaro 's running cans with filters and all the bickering back n forth with Mighty mouse on older threads... also, after being told by you the best teams run your setup! If I can get the cylinder temps to 6000deg. maybe we can makes some diamonds..
Attached Images

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:36 PM   #7
Stealth7

Drives: Gen V Viper GTS
not convinced this is required for our LT4 motors. Seems like an engineering issue and the LT4 has been used for years now. If excessive carbon build-up occurs, I would expect warranty to take care of the matter. Further, once you start spraying chemicals down the snout of the motor you can expect some Potential pushback from the dealer.
Stealth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:24 PM   #8
collinms

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Summit White
Yea I'm not worried about losing a little power in 5 years if that's even the reality. I'm sure GM engineers know what they are doing.
collinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:00 AM   #9
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinms View Post
Yea I'm not worried about losing a little power in 5 years if that's even the reality. I'm sure GM engineers know what they are doing.
You are joking, right?

Ask all the folks replacing AFM lifters and cams or the ones with oil soaked rings due to improper designed PCV systems. I can not imagine what issues the GMs new DFM system will bring.

What I am hearing is not that GDIs do not have intake valve build up but that it is not an issue. Or a little performance loss is OK. I am not so sure that is correct. I think Ford has added additional injection to its 5.0 to address the GDI valve build up issue. Hard to actually find them admitting such an issue.
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:17 AM   #10
collinms

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stex View Post
You are joking, right?

Ask all the folks replacing AFM lifters and cams or the ones with oil soaked rings due to improper designed PCV systems. I can not imagine what issues the GMs new DFM system will bring.

What I am hearing is not that GDIs do not have intake valve build up but that it is not an issue. Or a little performance loss is OK. I am not so sure that is correct. I think Ford has added additional injection to its 5.0 to address the GDI valve build up issue. Hard to actually find them admitting such an issue.
Again, not worried about it. If I get a check engine light in 7 years from potential build up, I'll deal with it then.
collinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:23 AM   #11
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stex View Post
I think Ford has added additional injection to its 5.0 to address the GDI valve build up issue. Hard to actually find them admitting such an issue.
It's also a good way to get more fuel into the cylinder for added power when the DI system is tapped out (e.g. LT5). DI hardare is pricy, PFI hardware is not.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:03 PM   #12
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I'm at just over 11,000 miles on my 17 ZL1. I'd like for someone to try this product, someone else to try a catch can, and then compare with mine. When we all get to 20K, 30K, 40K or more we can see which of our cars has lost any performance, has any engine problems, or has lower fuel economy.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:03 PM   #13
Thomp

Drives: 2018 Nightfall gray metallic ZL1
A friend on mine just picked up a user whipple that came off a direct injected 5.3 Sierra with 34k miles.... needles to say I'm glad I have a catch can...
Attached Images

Thomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:41 PM   #14
2ltrgsr
AXLERODZL1

Drives: 2019 Riverside blue ZL1 Camaro
wow that's crazy man!
2ltrgsr is offline   Reply With Quote