Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 3rd Generation Camaros

Old 04-04-2011, 07:07 PM   #1
Supercamaro64
Right, right.

Drives: 79 Z28, 86 Camaro, 94 Burb 4x4
Berlinetta Control Pods

Hey guys, i have an 86 Camaro Berlinetta that my dad and i are beginning to attempt to restore(its gonna be a while lol). The later Berlinettas have all-digital display and controls. i really like this about the car, but a lot of the buttons dont work because of how old it is. just wondering if anyone here would know how to fix this, or where i could get it fixed. i believe the buttons are just worn out, and maybe some new wires would fix it, but before i start tearing apart my car i wanted to get some opinions on the subject. Thanks!!

and please dont say, "oh, its just a berlinetta, who cares." cuz i do lol.
Supercamaro64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercamaro64 View Post
and please dont say, "oh, its just a berlinetta, who cares." cuz i do lol.
I love your passion for that car. Congrats and good luck with the restoration.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Unfortunately, it is going to be very difficult to find someone who will work on the existing part due to lack of individual replacement components.

You might try a place like this for an entire replacement of the affected part(s):

http://berlinetta.info/electron.htm
Old 04-04-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
Supercamaro64
Right, right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
Unfortunately, it is going to be very difficult to find someone who will work on the existing part due to lack of individual replacement components.

You might try a place like this for an entire replacement of the affected part(s):

http://berlinetta.info/electron.htm
im not opposed to buying replacement parts, i just wanna make sure they work. cuz i did buy some, but then found out they didnt work. and that site does have what i need! but it doesnt tell me how to buy it lol...

Quote:
I love your passion for that car. Congrats and good luck with the restoration.
hah thanks! lol it was my first car, and i got it for $550. and ive asked for advice on here before about it, and someone was just like, "Who cares, its a berlinetta, thats a chick car." & im kinda sick of hearing that lol. trust me, im overly obsessed with this beat-to-hell piece of awesomeness lol
Old 04-05-2011, 07:58 AM   #5
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Then the only way is gonna be thru word of mouth. Start calling shops and explain the nature of the trouble. Sooner or later someone will know someone who may know someone who can work on that kind of thing....
Old 04-05-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
Firebreed
Got Boost?

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6 SLP TVS 2300
i used to have a 83 berlinetta, loved the car even though it had the POS 2.8L v6, didnt have the "starwars" dash in it though. unforunetly it was totaled back in 06 :(. post up some pics man!
Future Mods: 416ci stroker.
Firebreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:03 AM   #7
Supercamaro64
Right, right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebreed View Post
i used to have a 83 berlinetta, loved the car even though it had the POS 2.8L v6, didnt have the "starwars" dash in it though. unforunetly it was totaled back in 06 :(. post up some pics man!
yeah, ive got that engine too unfortunately but im honestly surprised at how much get-up-n-go that little thing has! its still damn slow, but when i got it i was expecting it to be a lot worse! I havent really started the resto much yet, just little stuff, so its still in pretty bad shape. but ill post some pics when i get home, im at school right now lol. & i also have an '82 berlinetta that im using for some of the parts i need, like the doors & rear 1/4 panels.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:12 AM   #8
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
I happen to LOVE the Berlinetta - had two. Dad customized a V6 Berlinetta back in '84 and I loved that car. A few years after I started driving, I found a V8 - t-top '85 black Berlinetta that I loved. Drove that for two years, but I needed a truck for college - so I put the Camaro away hoping to fix it up (body wise) later on. It was sold while I was at school. I still miss that car and the radical dashboard, the swivel radio...and those t-tops. It had a flowmaster exhaust on it, and that rumble with the t's off was just awesome.

Keep us posted on your '86. Less than 6000 had the digital dash in '86...and the only year for the BERLINETTA scripts and fully lit radio face!
Old 04-07-2011, 09:34 AM   #9
Firebreed
Got Boost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercamaro64 View Post
yeah, ive got that engine too unfortunately but im honestly surprised at how much get-up-n-go that little thing has! its still damn slow, but when i got it i was expecting it to be a lot worse! I havent really started the resto much yet, just little stuff, so its still in pretty bad shape. but ill post some pics when i get home, im at school right now lol. & i also have an '82 berlinetta that im using for some of the parts i need, like the doors & rear 1/4 panels.
I was to, untill i tryed to merge on the freeways here in cali. I loved that car, but for me it was a money trap, i rebuilt the carb on that damn thing i dont know how many times, and i still couldnt get it to run right, not to mention all the little things that kept breaking on the thing. but it was my first camaro and I loved the thing, cear coat peeling and all hahaha.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #10
Supercamaro64
Right, right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toesuf94 View Post
I happen to LOVE the Berlinetta - had two. Dad customized a V6 Berlinetta back in '84 and I loved that car. A few years after I started driving, I found a V8 - t-top '85 black Berlinetta that I loved. Drove that for two years, but I needed a truck for college - so I put the Camaro away hoping to fix it up (body wise) later on. It was sold while I was at school. I still miss that car and the radical dashboard, the swivel radio...and those t-tops. It had a flowmaster exhaust on it, and that rumble with the t's off was just awesome.

Keep us posted on your '86. Less than 6000 had the digital dash in '86...and the only year for the BERLINETTA scripts and fully lit radio face!
yeah they only made a little over 4000 berlis in 86. which is pretty sweet, and why i want to hang onto the car so much lol. iv got Thrush dual exhaust on mine right now, sounds like a frickin beast, even tho it is just the tiny V6 lol. i had her out of the garage for the first time since november today, so i was really excited yeah mine needs a LOT of work, but as soon as i get some money, im gonna start to hack away at it. i know someone who can fix the front fascia, which has a big crack in it. which is pretty awesome, since it has the thinner tri-slots, which were only made in 85 and 86, so are harder to find. and they look better than the just plain front IMO.

Quote:
I was to, untill i tryed to merge on the freeways here in cali. I loved that car, but for me it was a money trap, i rebuilt the carb on that damn thing i dont know how many times, and i still couldnt get it to run right, not to mention all the little things that kept breaking on the thing. but it was my first camaro and I loved the thing, cear coat peeling and all hahaha.
haha yeah, my paint is a joke. its peeling, flaking, and in some places, its turning blue for some reason lol yeah mine is fuel injected, and since i got it, the only mechanical work ive done on it is the exhaust. 2 1/2 years, and no major problems. not bad for a $550 car!

p.s. if any of you guys know a place where i can get any parts, please let me kno, via PM or whatever. cuz trust me, almost EVERYTHING needs to be fixed or replaced!

Last edited by Supercamaro64; 04-07-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:07 PM   #11
Firebreed
Got Boost?

honestly the best place ive found for parts for the berlinettas is in the junk yards, my 83 also had the 3 slots in it. in fact i blieve all the "base" camaros also had that bumper in the early 80's
Old 04-07-2011, 10:42 PM   #12
Supercamaro64
Right, right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebreed View Post
honestly the best place ive found for parts for the berlinettas is in the junk yards, my 83 also had the 3 slots in it. in fact i blieve all the "base" camaros also had that bumper in the early 80's
yes, all the base camaros did til 86, but in 85 they made them about half as wide, and i think they look better thinner lol
Old 04-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #13
B2k4E
Listen to cereal guy...

Drives: 1986 Z28 Camaro 383 TPI
Ya, I've got a berlinetta camaro too, thought about restoring it for a while, but decided it'd be cheaper to get a Z28 that still ran with a few minor problems off craigslist. I want to put the digital cluster in the Z28 tho because it looks cool and the one already in it only goes to 80mph.

Pretty sure that its a 84 model, someone also stole all the berlinetta emblems, and I know weathering didnt do it because it's still got the 2 camaro emblems on it.

Still got the wheels

I might sell it, but I really want the dash out of it. Also hear that the wheels are rare.
B2k4E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #14
Firebreed
Got Boost?

Yes those stockers are RARE as hell (and almost impossable to find tires for too) get those rim's restored!