Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 07-25-2014, 10:41 AM   #1
OUTATIME

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Safe, cost-effective way to raise your car for fluid changes?

I'm in a dilemma of cost vs. safety vs. ease of changing oil/transmission/diff fluid.

I just bought brand new Craftsman jackstands, and had an old hydraulic floor jack that doesn't lift the car enough to get the stands underneath it . I'm starting to re-think that whole thing because I'm not even sure I trust a few inch thick bars holding up the front end of a 4000 lb car.

I recently looked into these: http://www.raceramps.com/car-service-ramps.aspx

I figured ramps are safer because it doesn't seem like it'd collapse on you. It might destroy itself at the point you drive on it. I'd need the 67" 2-piece if I want to at least do an oil change and transmission/diff fluid change since the transmission is further center and I need more height. DAMN these are expensive.

There's gotta be another way. Any thoughts?
OUTATIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
Kopterman

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
Race ramps are very nice but are also very very expensive! If you could handle the cost the 10" high ones would be great for that!

I got a set of Rhino Ramps at autozone for $55.00. Just measured them. They are 6 1/2 inches high. I change my own fluids with those. They work fine for that.
Kopterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:33 PM   #3
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
Rhino ramps here also. Working on the exhaust:
Attached Images

Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:41 PM   #4
Tenring

I still set a couple jack stands just in case, it makes me feel better, no squishy squishy!
Old 07-25-2014, 11:44 PM   #5
Firehawk178
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Victory Red
Just dig a pit and drive over it. Cheap and free exercise.
Firehawk178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:41 PM   #6
Andy-AMSOIL

Drives: bicycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk178 View Post
Just dig a pit and drive over it. Cheap and free exercise.
My grandpa usto have a pit what a great and easy tool... but this was in the older days where the oil was dumped right to the ground. .. who knew better
Andy-AMSOIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:01 AM   #7
OUTATIME

If you check out the Amazon page for Rhino ramps, there are two pictures of ramps that failed and it's not pretty:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-me...g_see_all_img0

No space for a pit on my end, I have a concrete garage floor. I've seen some with pits though.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:00 PM   #8
sstephen17

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT/RS BRM
I used something like the Rhino Ramps (different brand) that I used for my 2004 GMC Canyon. They worked fine for the four years I used them. Got them at Pep Boys for $60 at the time. I still them and plan to use them for my Camaro after my 2 yrs of free oil changes is up.
sstephen17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:40 PM   #9
Kopterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTATIME View Post
If you check out the Amazon page for Rhino ramps, there are two pictures of ramps that failed and it's not pretty:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-me...g_see_all_img0

No space for a pit on my end, I have a concrete garage floor. I've seen some with pits though.
See the size of those tires that crushed the ramp? Way too big of truck. Also he only goes up on one side. No ramp on the other side to balance things out. That guys an idiot thinking that size truck would work on those ramps!

I have the larger Rhinos. They do work perfectly fine and I believe there is no chance of failing with my Camaro!
Old 07-29-2014, 04:26 PM   #10
OUTATIME

Good catch.

Is there enough clearance under these to get to where the transmission drain/fill holes are?
Old 07-29-2014, 04:32 PM   #11
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
I bought 2 pressure treated ten foot 2x12's and cut a 4,3,2,1 foot section from each and screwed them together in that sequence. It's super stable and gives 6 inches of lift.you can screw a 2x2 across the end on the top section to keep from driving off the ramp.Works great and is safe.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:28 PM   #12
Kopterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTATIME View Post
Good catch.

Is there enough clearance under these to get to where the transmission drain/fill holes are?
Yep, I'm a pretty big guy and I can change it no problem.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:39 PM   #13
Tenring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopterman View Post
See the size of those tires that crushed the ramp? Way too big of truck. Also he only goes up on one side. No ramp on the other side to balance things out. That guys an idiot thinking that size truck would work on those ramps!

I have the larger Rhinos. They do work perfectly fine and I believe there is no chance of failing with my Camaro!
Also he pulled up onto the tire stop at end of the ramp, looks like he was trying to crush it.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:42 PM   #14
OUTATIME

Decision: went with race ramps. Why? I found a good deal and I also liked the amount of clearance I get + being able to disassemble it. I understand that Rhino ramps when misused will break, but I just don't feel safe after seeing that. I don't feel horrible about paying full price for race ramps after this:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332767

Thank you, kkhammer1 (4th post down) for pointing out the coupon code for autoanything. Not only do I get 16% off, race ramps also have a $20 rebate on their site. This doesn't make the deal so bad. I couldn't find the offer for the free wheel chocks mentioned, though. I think that's gone.