Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 3rd Generation Camaros

Old 11-17-2014, 10:49 PM   #1
Bigmikeystylez

Drives: Looking for one....
Looking for 3rd gen Camaro-newb-any advice?

Hello

I am looking for a 3rd gen Camaro this winter/next spring locally here (Edmonton AB Canada). There are many for sale but im not all that knowledgeable about the Camaros.......aaaaand im so-so mechanically inclined..so I could use some advice.

One question I would ask of you all: I see a lot of 83-85 Camaros around for sale....and 90-91s.....is there any real issues with the older Camaros or benefits of the newer 3rd gens over the older 3rd gens???

They look so similar....and I know they went to MPFI in the newer ones.....but other than the engine config......any other real positives/negatives about older vs newer 3rd gens??

I personally wish I could find a 3rd gen with the newer 4th gen engine/trans in it haha....so powerful but still with the classic look of the 3rd gen

thanks in advance
Bigmikeystylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
mpiersd

Drives: ABM #2041
Look for rust inside the lip of the rear wheelwells.

Bernadette: 2LT/RS, ABM #2041 of 3903
ZL-1 Springs | CAI | Muffler delete | Magnaflow resonator | LED DRL | DRL harness | RX Catch Can | Mini me

Cortana: 2015 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special
V&H Power Duals Headers & Oversized 450 Raider mufflers | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 Chisel Extreme intake | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 programmer | Klock Werks 12" Pro-Touring windscreen

Own an Aqua Blue Metallic Camaro?
Click here to join us on Facebook and help us in establishing the Aqua Blue Registry to locate all 3903 of these beautiful Camaros!
mpiersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
Obsessive Camaro Disorder

Drives: 69 Camaro and 92 RS
True, you definitely want to check for rust. 3rdgens are flimsy enough with weak rusty panels.

My first question for you is, What do you plan to do with the car? Street cruiser? Drag racing? AutoX/Road Racing? This actually will make a difference in what thirdgen is best for you. Any one can be modified to do whatever you want but some would be a better starter than others for someone not wealthy or mechanically inclined.

Here is some reading material for you in the meantime. http://www.thirdgen.org/tech-data
If it's done cheap and fast, it isn't going to be good.
Obsessive Camaro Disorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:36 PM   #4

Here's a few LS powered thirdgens.

http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/camar...lsx-turbo.html

http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/camar...ro-z-28-a.html

http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/camar...iroc-z-ls.html
Old 11-19-2014, 08:55 PM   #5
Bigmikeystylez

Drives: Looking for one....
thanks for the tips.....looking for something thats a street cruiser.....but want something with a little more zip then the standard 3rd gen 305/350
Bigmikeystylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:11 PM   #6

stock for stock, the newer the better for power and handling. 87-90 IROC or 91-92 Z28 either with the 5.7TPI/auto or 5.0TPI/5speed are the best the average person can get for thirdgen camaros. There are no 5.7/5speeds from the factory. If you can find one with the G92, 1LE, or B4C packages that is a plus. G92 is fairly common, the other two are rare.

Older thirdgens are good too, just less power, handling is good but not what newer one is. If you get a all mechanical, carburated 82-87 (305/5.0), it will be easier to modify because there is no computer programming to deal with. An 85-86 IROC with a 305tpi/5speed would be decent too.

No matter what you get, anything can be modified. Parts are very interchangeable between years. Choose which body style you like best. Try to avoid a 305/5.0 with an auto, just not a good combo for putting the power down.

There are lots of already modified thirdgens out there and a growing number of them with 4th gen power trains. Just be careful you don't buy someone else's problem.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:19 AM   #7
CruzinQueen

Drives: 2017 1LT RS Convertible V6 A8
This is all great advice. My husband and I have rebuilt both an 83 TA (carbed) and my 91 RS 305 TBI. The most important thing to look for is rust. Check the strut towers and pinch welds for the floor pan and rocker panels. Especially that front area behind the front wheel well and A pillar. I think road salt is attracted here the most and can turn that metal to Swiss cheese. I think your best bet is to buy the body style you prefer and get the most solid car you can find. The mechanicals can always be sorted to your tastes later on.
CruzinQueen is offline   Reply With Quote