Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-16-2009, 03:21 AM   #29
amyroxs

Drives: 2010 1LT Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to amyroxs
I wish my work had section of parking spaces where only "awesome" cars can park. It seems like if you have a newer/nicer car your more careful on how you park and making sure you don't ding up your car or the car next to you. But everyday after work I have to do a once over to make sure no one dinged or hit my car. BTW you and I both got our cars the same day
Vin:#9101585
amyroxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:37 AM   #30
fredbo

Drives: black 2010 LS
dat hood be messin me up too.... i see nothing while im goin over hills
fredbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:42 AM   #31
badkarma

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS Camaro
Even more fun:

My driveway is very steep and at the crest is guess what....my garage. There is also a slight curve right before the door The house was build in the 80's and has a door for each bay, but the doors are pretty narrow.

I have about 2 inches on either side between the mirrors and the door opening. (Wish the mirrors retracted)

In order to pull into the garage, I have to give it enough gas to get the nose in (M6) and quickly hit the brakes before my mirrors get close so I can check clearances.

Not fun coming home, means I stay out more.....wait hmmm
badkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:06 AM   #32
Lectra
VIN # 18178

Drives: 2LT/IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by badkarma View Post
Even more fun:

My driveway is very steep and at the crest is guess what....my garage. There is also a slight curve right before the door The house was build in the 80's and has a door for each bay, but the doors are pretty narrow.

I have about 2 inches on either side between the mirrors and the door opening. (Wish the mirrors retracted)

In order to pull into the garage, I have to give it enough gas to get the nose in (M6) and quickly hit the brakes before my mirrors get close so I can check clearances.

Not fun coming home, means I stay out more.....wait hmmm
I have that same problem, only I have to park on the steep section of driveway! If I don't get it right the first time I just say the heck with it and leave it...better then needing a new clutch down the road! Someday I'll convince my parents to let me park in the garage
Lectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:57 AM   #33
Jack
Just Jack

Drives: '71 SS, Forest Green
Ok, I have had trouble too, especially backing up into spaces. With the width and limited vis out the back, I nearly backed into a square concrete post (couldn't fit my key between the bumper and the post - man was I lucky). So I did a little research and found a selection of back-up cameras at Crutchfield.com. They integrate into the license plate mount and there's a clip-on monitor screen available for your rear-view mirror. Here's some links:
- http://www.crutchfield.com/p_707VTC4...h=VTC461&tp=83
- http://www.crutchfield.com/p_707VTL2...wAll=N&tp=3288
- http://www.crutchfield.com/p_707VTC4...h=VTC433&tp=83

HOWEVER, I, like others, have found that practice has helped a lot.

Good luck,

Jack
Delivered 6/5
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:52 AM   #34
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Ok, I have had trouble too, especially backing up into spaces. With the width and limited vis out the back, I nearly backed into a square concrete post (couldn't fit my key between the bumper and the post - man was I lucky). So I did a little research and found a selection of back-up cameras at Crutchfield.com. They integrate into the license plate mount and there's a clip-on monitor screen available for your rear-view mirror. Here's some links:
- http://www.crutchfield.com/p_707VTC4...h=VTC461&tp=83
- http://www.crutchfield.com/p_707VTL2...wAll=N&tp=3288
- http://www.crutchfield.com/p_707VTC4...h=VTC433&tp=83

HOWEVER, I, like others, have found that practice has helped a lot.

Good luck,

Jack
These look very interesting... I didn't know they could be so subtle. I wanted the park assist on my car, but I didn't want those ugly dots on the bumper. These look like a great alternative. Thanks!
DDustiNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:28 PM   #35
Mark A Collier Sr
Retired Army, 101st ABN

Drives: 2 SS/RS w/sunroof
I like the ones in the 2nd and 3rd links! IF I get one... I would get one of them.
BORN ON 4 NOV 09 at 12:26pm VIN:63460~ HOME on 18 NOV 09!
"101BABY"
Mark A Collier Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:41 AM   #36
jschuler
WildCat

Drives: 2LT Imperial blue/biege
I agree that it helps if you've had practice driving a bigger car. If you have a friend or family member with a similar sized car you might practice parking it (obviously you'll have to practice to get used to the space in front and back, but it will help with the swing into the straight spots). I've driven a 1990 Grand Marquies, and 1998 Grand Prix GT, both are large cars, so hopefully I won't have too many problems. I'm just going to assume that the front is longer than I'm used to and the back is shorter I'm gonna have to get used to parallel parking, and i'm not sure how I feel about it since I'm normally excellent at it. I don't trust other people to not ride up on my ass and close me in. When I get my car I also plan on parking closer to the end of the lot (for example: Walmart) so that I don't have to worry about hitting others, less risk of others parking by me, and my ass needs the walk
jschuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:17 AM   #37
LightningSS

Drives: WAS '10 SS IBM, NOW '14 BRM ZL1
Centering it between the lines just takes practice. On my 98, for the fore/aft location relative to curbs, I compare the line-of-sight of the driver's side rear view mirror relative to the curb. Once I learned the proper relation (mirror just above curb) I pull in far enough every time. All second nature now...
LightningSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:32 AM   #38
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Maybe that's why my wife won't drive it....
Old 07-18-2009, 02:18 AM   #39
5thGenAnyone?
I'm thirsty

Drives: 1 speed bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplayer View Post
The backup camera on my new GT will solve that problem.
Sorry guys, couldn't help it
Anybody who wants or needs one of the park assist cameras just embarrases me for them. I mean, come on guys, park assist. Really? Ive always thought the park assist was one of the single most useless extra cost items they have ever put on a car. That is what windows and mirrors are for, arent they? I mean, unless you want to get within like 1in of something behind you. However did people park before the park assist!!! lol Keep that kind of stuff on the high priced luxury cars I say. Sorry just my opinion.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:02 AM   #40
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Yes, very difficult car to judge distances. I wouldn't want someone else backing my car out of the garage. Its a car that definately takes a skilled/careful driver when backing up in tight spaces. That's the cost of having such a cool design with limited visibility.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:28 AM   #41
td2222
TBoy

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
The third link looks cool, but where to mount the monitor? Rear assist is a get option, worked great on my Buick LaCrosse.

Camaro forever!
td2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:32 AM   #42
VenomZ302
Live to Win, Dare to Fail

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue RS/SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenAnyone? View Post
Anybody who wants or needs one of the park assist cameras just embarrases me for them. I mean, come on guys, park assist. Really? Ive always thought the park assist was one of the single most useless extra cost items they have ever put on a car. That is what windows and mirrors are for, arent they? I mean, unless you want to get within like 1in of something behind you. However did people park before the park assist!!! lol Keep that kind of stuff on the high priced luxury cars I say. Sorry just my opinion.
The only times I've really been glad to use my rear camera is when people (or anything shorter than the tail of my car) show up in the monitor who seemed to come out of nowhere. This can especially be the case with kids.

Actually, it's helpful when I'm at work and one of my co-workers parks her SUV in the not-a-space next to me which completely blocks my view as her doors are 3-5 inches away from me. Say what you will, but mirrors don't help in that situation.

3/13/09 - Ordered Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS/RS M6!
7/13/09 - Built!
8/11/09 - Delivered!

2G1FT1EW2A9124579
VenomZ302 is offline   Reply With Quote