Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-05-2014, 02:21 AM   #1
mikeinmobile

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
4568.5 Mile road trip in the SS w/pix

We took a 10 day 4568.5 mile trip from Mobile Alabama to San Diego Cal and back, with side trips to Austin Tx to see my daughter and her boyfriend, and a three day tour of Arizona before blowing into So Cal to work for three days in San Diego's Gas Lamp area. We left Mobile Sat. Jan 11th and never saw a cloud the whole trip! We saw sunsets and sunrises in the desert. Wild horses in New Mexico, Mtn Goats in the Median of Hwy 40W in Arizona and a Bald Eagle put on a show for us driving through a breathtaking Mtn pass north of Flagstaff on the way to the Grand Canyon!

We drove 85A through Sedona Az. It's nicknamed Americas most beautiful Hwy. Crazy cool drive with plenty of places to pull over and catch your breath from the constant WOW around every turn! We hit Route 66 in Winona and Flagstaff. We drove from Mobile to Rt 66 and saw like 3 cops.....the only place to raise a little hell on a strip of 66 with original red orange pavement still somewhat intact we passed three cops driving up and down the road three times. (the Bald Eagle show made up for not leaving a little rubber on 66)

Luckily we learned Meteor Crater was 33 miles from Flagstaff, So we hit the Crater shortly after sunrise then drove through the Navaho Badlands into the East Rim of the Grand Canyon. From there you can wind along the 28 mile road through the canyon's rim forest with the canyon popping up constantly with plenty of places to park and view.

I detailed the car every morning (except the 2 day 1900 plus mile trip home) and she ran perfect the whole trip. From just above Sea level on the Gulf Coast where we live, to over 7000 feet in elevations. (Actually leaving Ca on Hwy 8 you go through a dramatic Mtn pass then in barely 15 miles you drop to 53 feet below sea level) Passing through the Santa Anna winds in Cal the outside temp went from 40 to 73 and back to 40 in barely ten miles. We had two nites in Arizona with lows in the teens an 20's. We packed for everything. Extra food, water, bedding, guitar, some tools and a borrowed spare and jack (properly mounted in the trunk) as well as the air pump and a can of Fix-a-flat. Not to mention luggage for work and play. Premium ran 90 to 91 octane from New mexico west, and I've never used anything but 93 all over the southeast.

Point being, LOADED down, from below sea level to 7000 ft. From 80's to teens and every temp in between, 2 straight days of 960 miles, with real heavy traffic on the aggressive drive from Houston to Baton Rouge, with lower octane gases doing who knows what The Camaro made the drive EASY! It rolled over 50.000 on the odometer along the way and she drove like new through every situation. Despite whatever little things we argue about on this forum as far as likes or dislikes about certain aspects of this car, these cars are fabulous for two people to tour in. All the wonders along the way certainly help, but still, 4500 miles in one long week and we were still in good shape the day after getting home. It was a trip of a lifetime and I'm even more in love with my SS for making the driving too fun.

New Mexico Pic Nic Area Hwy 10 west. You can see for a 100 miles and the Mtns are massive and miles off in the distance.
Name:  NMC5.jpg
Views: 1561
Size:  173.3 KB
Sedona Arizona on the Cowl!
Name:  SDC5H.jpg
Views: 2036
Size:  190.9 KB
Saw a lot of snow, but never on the road!
Name:  C5SNW.jpg
Views: 1565
Size:  104.9 KB
Hwy 89A, Over the rail is a 2000 foot nearly sheer drop as well as the Mtn is right up against you. Again camera doesn't capture the massiveness of the Mtns miles in the distance
Name:  C5MTN.jpg
Views: 2039
Size:  204.8 KB
An original piece of Rt66 with bridge in Winona Az (closed as you can see). Interesting to note there's no marker to point it out. I lucked up on it and recognized it from reading about 66 the nite before.
Name:  C566.jpg
Views: 2148
Size:  194.8 KB
Deb's not wanting to take pic on side of road at 10am, 33 degrees, no makeup and three layers of sweaters by this Mtn stream at 6000 feet outside Sedona.
Name:  C5RDS.jpg
Size:  266.3 KB
Name:  C5GCE.jpg
Size:  285.9 KB
Name:  C5GC1.jpg
Views: 2061
Size:  198.9 KB
Name:  C5GC2.jpg
Views: 1575
Size:  208.3 KB
I took this headed home with Arizona in the rearview at sunset with no cars around us on the Hwy.
Name:  C5RVS.jpg
Views: 1843
Size:  51.4 KB

Here's some more pics.

Arizona in the cowl
Name:  C5AZ.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  109.8 KB

The forest around the canyon rim looked a lot like Alabama, but you don't see this sign very often
Name:  C5GCL.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  304.4 KB

Hwy 8 east out of Dan Diego (notice the car down the road for some scale)
Name:  C58C.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  132.9 KB

Sunset in Arizona out of Deb's window, right before I took the side view mirror shot
Name:  C5AZS.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  70.9 KB

Last edited by mikeinmobile; 03-03-2021 at 11:32 PM.
mikeinmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:30 AM   #2
Hellfighter

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
Beautiful , very stunning pictures
Old 02-05-2014, 02:33 AM   #3
mikeinmobile

Thanks, we took a bunch of course but I tried to cut it down to the coolest ones. All on a smart phone, many through the window moving.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:47 AM   #4
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
See the USA in a Chevrolet......
Indydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:52 AM   #5
mikeinmobile

Right on! We were singin' that.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:56 AM   #6
HaulnJ

Drives: 2010 SS/RS LS3 GFX Heritage grill
I also did a long road trip with my 2010 SS/RS , 7000 miles from July20 to Aug 24 2013. Started at the Good Guys Northwest car show in Puyallup. Drove to West Yellowstone and the annual rod run there. Reno for Hot August Nights, Frisco, the redwoods. Up the coast to Astoria Oregon with a detour to Crater Lake. Portland and down to San Diego for more car shows including Cruising the Grand in Escondido and Speed Week at Coronado. Took a 3 week hiatus and drove another 2000 miles to Texas for my nephews wedding. all total 9k miles and not one hiccup. Enjoyed the hi-ways of Montana for their 90to 95 mph speed limit. Averaged 23mpg and my average speed is now up to 50+ mph on dash monitoring system. Next stop Texas to Key West Fla. and then the 2014 Hot Rod Power Tour.
HaulnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:09 AM   #7
mikeinmobile

That's cool. We want to do Yellowstone to the Redwoods to Portland. Especially after how much we enjoyed this trip. My average mph (never been reset) climbed from 47.5 to 48.9. My lifetime mpg stayed at 21.3. The torque through the Mtns was impressive, especially as loaded down as we were. Fun car.

Last edited by mikeinmobile; 02-12-2014 at 11:46 PM.
mikeinmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:36 AM   #8
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
Wow I can almost read her mind. Oh yeah if i want to be in a picture i have to stand next to the car. All he is doing is taking pictures of his stupid car I think he loves that car more than me.

trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:02 AM   #9
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Beautiful pics. I have driven most of that route out in AZ (by the way, AR is Arkansas). Hope to do it again someday, when the wife retires (3 years).
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:01 AM   #10
Adrenaline12

Drives: Synergy Green 2SS
Awesome pics sounds like it was fun! you detailed every day? what kind of detailing just waterless wash I'm guessing? Because the car looks great
Old 02-05-2014, 08:06 AM   #11
sloSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS RS LS3
I took a trip from Atlanta, GA to Phoenix, AZ and back in October in my 1SS which was about 4,000 miles and wholeheartedly agree with your experience. The 5th gen Camaro is a fantastic road car!
I reset my average speed and mpg readings in the Driver Information Center at each fill-up. My average mpg for the trip was 25 mpg, with a best tank of 28 mpg while rolling along at 85+ in Texas. Must be slightly down hill from Albuquerque through Texas?
Beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing.
sloSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:19 AM   #12
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloSS View Post
I reset my average speed and mpg readings in the Driver Information Center at each fill-up. My average mpg for the trip was 25 mpg, with a best tank of 28 mpg while rolling along at 85+ in Texas. Must be slightly down hill from Albuquerque through Texas?
Beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing.
And a VERY STRONG tailwind, I'd say. Also, if you had NOT reset your mpgs at all, your "average mpg for the trip" would be different. Every time you reset and drive reasonably, the mpgs can really go up for a period - I'm talking numbers in the 40s (or more) are possible. And although that doesn't last long it does skew the overall mpg numbers (to the good).
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:51 AM   #13
davidmk001

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 1SS
Very cool - I love the scenery you have captured. I am planning on doing a road trip through Colorado and into Arizona with the GF. We’ll be staying at her sister’s place there. To conclude the trip we are going to be going into Nevada before flying back to Canada. Only bummer is we’re going to rent a car out of Colorado. Won’t be able to enjoy it like you did in your Camaro!

Regardless, I think it will be fun. And reading about your cruise and seeing the pictures… Oh I cannot wait.
davidmk001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:51 AM   #14
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
That last pic of the sunset in your mirror... excellent shot!

But... need more pics of Deb!
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote