Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-03-2009, 12:33 AM   #1
rcracer78

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
grinding while shifting into 2nd gear (LS3)

I do not track race or street race. However I like to get on my LS3 every once in a while. I have 2600 miles on the car now (I have changed the oil 2 times already w/Mobil 1 full synthetic) and I do not abuse it. However, whenever I shift from 1st to 2nd gear at higher rpm's, it grinds. But if I keep the clutch in long enough it will go into second with lots of effort and by that time the nose has dropped and the rpm's have dropped so much that it's not a smooth transition. I'm not sure if it's the tranny, synchros, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, slave cylinder, throw out lever or throw out bearing. (doubt it's the bearing) Am I not shifting properly? Should I powershift or speedshift? Probably not any better for the tranny or clutch assembly, right? I hope it's not the tranny. Could it be the clutch is smoked/glazed so it won't disengage or are my synchros gone?

I want to take it to the dealer, but I'm a little worried that they will give me a hard time or deny my warranty due to my mods. I have not touched anything from the throttle body to the cats though.

Mods:
  • Solo Peformance straight pipe catback system
  • Airaid CAI
  • Hurst short shifter (installed at Hurst facility in Chatsworth CA by Kenj, who is the engineer that designed the shifter)

rcracer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
CamaroSS_junkie

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 6spd
Same here

My SS is in the shop as we speak with the exact same problem you mention. They found a bad second gear and syncro. GM does not have the parts, they had to find them at other dealerships across the US. It sucks and made me sick to my stomach. I should have my car back early next week. Good luck
Old 12-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #3
rcracer78

Old 12-03-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
rcracer, that's a bummer. We probably met at the Hurst office, had mine installed there as well, was the IOM "DCPTCN 1" camaro. I understand your concern with the dealer. I am guessing they'll see the shifter and quickly blame the problem on that. But insist they look deeper into it and can't just assume the Hurst shifter is the root cause of the problem.
Does it go in 2nd just fine when car is not moving or during normal easy driving?
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
rcracer78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
rcracer, that's a bummer. We probably met at the Hurst office, had mine installed there as well, was the IOM "DCPTCN 1" camaro. I understand your concern with the dealer. I am guessing they'll see the shifter and quickly blame the problem on that. But insist they look deeper into it and can't just assume the Hurst shifter is the root cause of the problem.
Does it go in 2nd just fine when car is not moving or during normal easy driving?
Hey ffcobra_65! Will you please explain your symptoms prior to taking her into the dealer?

I don't see how they can give me a hard time about the shifter, especially if GM offers the short shifter as an option. The shifter is just sliding pins, right? It's doesn't feel like it's binding in the shifter anyway. It shifts ok at lower speeds/rpms. However, it still feels notchy and clunky going into second. It goes into 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th like butter. (reverse is a little finicky, but that's expected) It feels like the clutch will not fully disengaging. If this is the same clutch they put in the Z06, I find it hard to believe the clutch is fried. I getting really worried now.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:25 PM   #6
Ntimad8rs

Drives: 2SS/RS 6M ABM & GMC 2500HD
Second Gear

Umm, I was doing a bit of light reading last night and I found this out. if you get the signal to shift from 1st to 4th...do so. If not it may damage the transmission. You can shift it back down to third if need be but that is how I read it.
Here it is... verbatim.
When this message comes on,
you can only shift from 1 (First) to
4 (Fourth) instead of 1 (First) to
2 (Second). The message will be
displayed in the Driver Information
Center.
You must complete the shift into
4 (Fourth) to turn off this feature.
This helps you get the best possible
fuel economy.
After shifting to 4 (Fourth), you may
downshift to a lower gear if you
prefer.
Notice: Forcing the shift lever
into any gear except 4 (Fourth)
when the 1 TO 4 SHIFT message
comes on may damage the
transmission. Shift only from
1 (First) to 4 (Fourth) when the
message comes on.
This message will come on when:
• The engine coolant temperature
is higher than 76°C (169°F),
• The vehicle is going 24 to
31 km/h (15 to 19 mph) and
• The vehicle is at 21 percent
throttle or less.
Ntimad8rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:21 PM   #7
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer78 View Post
Hey ffcobra_65! Will you please explain your symptoms prior to taking her into the dealer?

I don't see how they can give me a hard time about the shifter, especially if GM offers the short shifter as an option. The shifter is just sliding pins, right? It's doesn't feel like it's binding in the shifter anyway. It shifts ok at lower speeds/rpms. However, it still feels notchy and clunky going into second. It goes into 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th like butter. (reverse is a little finicky, but that's expected) It feels like the clutch will not fully disengaging. If this is the same clutch they put in the Z06, I find it hard to believe the clutch is fried. I getting really worried now.
Sorry man, I didn't have a problem like yours. All I had was a loud shifter rattle in 2nd and 3rd gears after the Hurst install and I took it back to Hurst and Kenji did his magic.

You said, 2nd grinds when shifting into it at higher RPMs soooo, we can chalk out that you might have been trying to force it into 2nd while the skipshift feature was activated. Have ya tried shifting normally into 2nd at the same RPMs where you had the grinding? It could be that you right (shift) hand is a tad faster than your left (clutch) leg?
And no, I don't think your dealer will deny warranty.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:59 PM   #8
rcracer78

Well I went to my dealer and asked the tech if he would check it out and take me for a drive with him. (without plugging in my VINN into the system) So we get in the car and he goes through the gears with the engine off and not pushing in the clutch. Right away he says it feels like it's binding going into 2nd but has a much more positive feel going into the remaining gears. He asked who installed the shifter. I told him the engineer who designed it at the Hurst facility in Chatsworth. We go for a drive and he said it doesn't feel like it's going all the way into second and it takes more effort than usual. He said I should take it back to Hurst and have them re-adjust/align it. He said it doesn't feel like the clutch assembly or the synchros, it feels like it's not going all the way into second, which is probably the reason it's grinding. I really don't want to drive all the way back to Hurst to have Kenji look at it, but that might be my only option at this point.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:32 PM   #9
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

dude that sucks! How far are ya from Chatsworth? Call Hurst and speak with either Chris or Kenji. I spoke with Chris when I scheduled mine to return and went there mid-day and Kenji went to work on it right away. It shouldn't only take him minutes to inspect the installation but I understand it sux you have to take time and drive far to get it there. Let me know when you might take it and I just might meet ya there. Good luck and take it easy on the shifting for now.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:33 AM   #10
rcracer78

I feel like I can't drive the car the way it was meant to be driven. I don't think the Hurst shifter will void my warranty, but it's a good scapegoat for the dealer not to fully investigate the problem. Maybe I'll put the stock shifter back in. If the problem persist, I'll take it back to the dealer and they should have no reason not to fully investigate the problem. Do you think the synchros or clutch assembly could be this weak on a car like this?I would expect this thing to be virtually bullet proof on the Camaro, since it's used on the Vettes.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:44 AM   #11
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

I don't want to speculate and that would only add to your worries but since you seem like a far drive from Hurst, I would highly recommend you do this.

1. remove the center console and check the shifter install up top. Make sure the grooved side of the bottom-half of the stick is facing the passenger side.
2. check the rubber boot support (there are two oblong-shape rubber supports 1. that holds down the bottom rubber boot in place 2. holds the top of leather boot with zip tie). Make sure the bottom one is still intact and keeping the bottom boot down. The top oblong shaped thingy broke on mine, Kenji replaced it. But I can imagine the bottom one breaking as well and that would cause a wedge effect.
3. Check underneath. Be sure nothing has come loose. Check the cross pin has a locking clip on each side and the 2 shifting mounting screws are secure.
4. Be sure the dust boot is in place correctly

If everything looks good but you still have the prob then, I would recommend re-installing the stock shifter and tighten everything at the bottom and work the shifter to see how it feels. You don't have to drive the car, check each gear sitting still and don't button everything up yet. If tranny shifts fine with the stock shifter on then you know the problem is with the Hurst shifter and at that point, it won't be too hard to re-install the Hurst per instructions, then work the shifter, if it feels better then the problem was the initial installation at Hurst office. If problem still there, put the stock shifter back on. If problem exists with the stock shifter as well, then you just confirmed the problem is the tranny and dealer will fix it for ya.

Be sure it is in Neutral when installing/reinstalling.

Last edited by ffrcobra_65; 12-04-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:22 PM   #12
montej23

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro
i am having the same issue on my camaro i have a V6 though do you think it might be hurst? I installed my shifter myself though
montej23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 04:35 PM   #13
rcracer78

Well I took the car back to Hurst yesterday. Kenji gets in the car and goes through the gears. He says second gear feels notchy. He puts it up on the lift, takes the Hurst out and reinstalls the stock shifter. I take it for drive and it still feels notchy, but it was much easier to get into second now. (More leverage obviously) I'm gonna take it into the dealer now. They should fully investigate now that the stock shifter is reinstalled. Kenji had also mentioned it could possibly be something with the "skip-shift" solenoid not fully disengaging. Hopefully that's the problem, which should be an easy fix for the dealer. (I wish they would just take the thing out, personally) If it something inside, who knows how long I'll be without a car especially if I need a whole new Tremec.

By the way, there was absolutely nothing wrong with the Hurst shifter. Awesome product and the best service ever. They didn't charge me anything to r&d the stock shifter. I think it's good research and development on their part to make sure thier product is not faulty. It's really personal preference with this shifter. It doesn't like to be finessed.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:07 AM   #14
Mhoward08

Drives: Black 2SS/RS Silver Hood/Hockey
I've only got 500 miles on my ss m6 and i've noticed the 2nd gear become increasingly harder to shift into. Could the skip shift feature actually be causing damage to it?
Mhoward08 is offline   Reply With Quote