Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-03-2019, 01:32 PM   #1
Balr14

Drives: Porsche 997.2 Carrera S cabriolet
Manual vs automatic?

I'm just curious what peoples opinions are. I have driven both and honestly can't decide which I like better in a ZL1. I have driven manual transmissions for 60 years, but modern automatics are clearly superior in many respects. Currently, my daily driver is manual and my weekend fun car is automatic.
Balr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:21 PM   #2
Squatch
Camaro pilot

Drives: 69 Camaro, 2014 ZL1
If you plan on drag racing at all, Auto, other than that, its a toss up.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:46 PM   #3
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Well I wouldn't say autos are superior (this coming from an auto tranny driver). Automatic transmissions really came into prominence during the late 60's with the development of the th350, 400, and powerglide (powerglides are older) transmissions. I will say that within the last two decades, that automatic transmissions have become more efficient with overdrive features. With v8 power it is a well known fact that in straight line acceleration the auto shifts are faster.

On a road course, manual shift has an advantage in that one can select speeds quicker than an auto. Road feel is also vastly different in a manual shift. It goes by preference, but many (myself included) have viewed that manuals will give a better feel for drivability and fun with the car. Manuals really have an advantage with smaller, low torque engines in that one can rev higher and develop more torque in the lower gears. Manuals are (by their nature) more challenging to learn and drive. Once you learn how to shift a manual drive, IMO they can be almost as easy to maneuver as an automatic.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:04 PM   #4
Balr14

After so many years, shifting a manual transmission is second nature to me; I don't even notice I'm doing it. I was more concerned about things like durability, reliability and frictional loses to the rear wheels. Power loss to the rear wheels isn't an issue with a dual clutch automatic. But. I assume the automatic on the ZL1 is a conventional torque converter design.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:12 PM   #5
Brutale arancia

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
Manually shifting gears is an integral part of the experience of driving a powerful car. I can mash a pedal and just go along for the ride on/in anything with wheels and an engine.
Brutale arancia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:09 PM   #6
Balr14

Again, I was more concerned with technical issues than subjective feelings.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:21 PM   #7
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
M is more fun, A is quicker shifts.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:29 AM   #8
Brutale arancia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Again, I was more concerned with technical issues than subjective feelings.

I didn't see anything about technical issues in that first post. I did see "I can't decide which I like better". My mistake.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:26 AM   #9
VRZL113

Drives: 2013 VR ZL1, M6
While the auto is a tenth or two quicker, I wouldn't trade that in on the ability to row through the gears. I just find a manual trans car more enjoyable to drive.

To answer your tech question... neither transmission has any real issues. Both are fairly stout, and reliable.
#3257 | 485whp 526wtq | K&N 63-3079 | Gates K080660HD (Green Belt) | ACDelco UPF48R | ZL1 Addons Wicker Bill | Mild2Wild
VRZL113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:51 AM   #10
denboy1

Drives: 2014 2ss Convertible
Manuals win hearts, automatics win races.

Not mine, heard it somewhere.
denboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:12 AM   #11
Balr14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutale arancia View Post
I didn't see anything about technical issues in that first post. I did see "I can't decide which I like better". My mistake.
You're right, that wasn't very well worded. My apologies.

I have read a number of threads about clutches going bad with low mileage. I have also read a number of threads about bad differentials, usually with manual transmissions (as far as I can determine). Back in my old drag racing days, drive line shock from dumping the clutch would cause these issues. That's why we switched to Powerglide... never had another drive line issue.

I assume these threads about bad clutches and rear ends in ZL1s are just a modern manifestation of those same old things. Or, are they indicative of a different problem?
Old 01-04-2019, 10:23 AM   #12
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Quote:
You're right, that wasn't very well worded. My apologies.

I have read a number of threads about clutches going bad with low mileage. I have also read a number of threads about bad differentials, usually with manual transmissions (as far as I can determine). Back in my old drag racing days, drive line shock from dumping the clutch would cause these issues. That's why we switched to Powerglide... never had another drive line issue.

I assume these threads about bad clutches and rear ends in ZL1s are just a modern manifestation of those same old things. Or, are they indicative of a different problem?

I had a M6 with ZL1 backhalf and 750+ whp. Never broke anything. The problem is between the seat and the clutch pedal.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:37 AM   #13
Brutale arancia

I started my research after the purchase but have done some. I've seen a lot more "bulletproof drivetrain" comments than the more recent stuff about clutches and diffs. I think your assumptions are correct. These cars are 5-6 years old now. The ones that have been heavily thrashed are showing symptoms, same old thing. I would suggest paying the price for low mileage and roll with it. They are a steal at 40K with less than 10K miles if you figure in the pleasure derived.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:31 AM   #14
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:

I have read a number of threads about clutches going bad with low mileage. I have also read a number of threads about bad differentials, usually with manual transmissions (as far as I can determine).
585whp/552wtrq on my stock clutch has held up fine so far.

Bad diffs were on auto cars too.
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote