Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 04-29-2018, 12:15 AM   #1
Level300

Drives: 2015 Black rs/ss/1le
Question Wow. Test drove an LE today and I have some questions

I drove a 2015 2ss1LE today. It was my first ride in the newer Camaro so I have some questions about th 1LE.

Is the suspension tough to live with on a day to day basis?

When depressing the clutch, it seems like there was no friction zone. It was either in or out. My Mini Coopers clutch has the same pedal resistance for the full range of motion. The Camaro s clutch required a harder initial force followed by a very light resistance in the friction zone then a harder pedal press at the end of travel. I’m sure Its just something to get used to.

Does your 1le rattle a little. I’m sure whatever is rattling around was caused by the tight suspension. Man that’s stiff!

How does the 1LE’s suspension compare to a regular ss suspension? Is there a big difference?

To me, the exhaust was LOUD. I literally mouthed “holy $hit” when I started it. My first thought was, I’m going to piss off the neighbors. Do your neighbors complain about the noise? It had dual mode exhaust. I don’t know what mode it was in. It sounded beautiful. The videos don’t do the exhaust sound any justice.

The car reminded me so much of my buddy’s 67 Camaro back when I was in high school. It felt stiff somewhat heavy and even rattled a little just like the 67. I wasn’t expecting it to feel like a raw muscle car. I was expecting a more refined driving experience. I Was smiling the whole time.

I can’t wait to see how it rails compared to the Mini Cooper. The ss is crazy!! All that available power the handling and the exhaust. Just wow. I was so floored that it reminded me of driving a 67 Camaro.

I loved the hud and it burbles just like my mini, only much nicer. Visibility wasn’t bad at all.

Just WOW!
Level300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:47 AM   #2
Venomcustom
Hard to want.

Drives: 2020 red hot 1SS 1LE
I love the suspension and for me it's never been tough to live with. Road trips are awesome and the 1le will keep a smile on your face for a long time! My brother had a regular ss and it is a bit smoother of a ride but just doesn't have the same attitude or readiness. The 1le just feels right to me. The ss has under steer for days, brake dive and it rolls around a bit. The 1le is much more controlable, planted and doesn't brake dive or roll around. It's like a fighter always in his stance.
The car does rattle at low rpms as the trans clutch combo is on the noisy side.
As far as my neighbors go. They will learn to live with it or move. Lol speaking of neighbor mine got even with me as my 1le was in the drive way and he covered it with grass clippings with a pass of the lawn mower. I put a stop to that real quick. Lol
All in all the 1le is a fantastic car. A real visceral driving experience. Buy one!!!
Venomcustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:44 AM   #3
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
1LE's are easy to daily drive. I had one for 4.5 years. I agree on the clutch, it doesn't have much "feel" to it. The previous owner may have pulled the F8 fuse in the back for the exhaust. That leaves the flaps open all the time, although on initial startup they are always open. My car never had any rattles so no clue on that part. The only noise my car would make is a loud thunk if you hit a hole or pothole where the front suspension would extend all the way. They are a bit stiffer than a regular SS but livable.
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:38 AM   #4
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Mine doesn’t rattle. I used to say the suspension isn’t too tight and fine for a daily driven. Then I started driving my wife’s suv and got a volt. When I go back to the Camaro it’s obviously noticeably tighter. But I drove it for four years to and from work without concern.

Yes, it’s a different suspension than the SS. At least in 2013 this was true. Mono tube shocks, sway bars, etc. Read up on what makes a 1LE a 1LE. The gearing is a big difference and frankly why I went 1LE over SS.

Chevy designed it to let your neighbors know you start it up. Mine definitely know. They’ve said things about it. There are YouTube videos from 2013 with Al Oppenheiser talking about this.
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:32 PM   #5
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Yeah, my neighbor says they know when I leave, and when I get home. My wife and daughter say they can hear me at the grocery store a mile away. But I did the fuse pull on my NPP. Nothing rattles in mine.

You'll get used to the clutch and the suspension over time... and, once you drive something else, you'll realize what a blessing driving your 1LE truly is!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:12 PM   #6
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Sounds like you haven't been in an American V8 performance car in a while. Love my 1LE, and could daily drive it easily. As with any new car, sounds like you're just getting use to the differences from your recent rides. I've driven a Mini before, and it's night and day from a 1LE.

Just enjoy it for a while before you try to find faults......
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:08 PM   #7
Level300

Drives: 2015 Black rs/ss/1le
Thanks fellas. Yeah. I got the mini when gas was very expensive in 09. It was and still is fun to drive. However I miss the power of a v8. The mini struggles to rocket past 95mph. It may be due to aerodynamics but its engine is topping out. And it’s straining.

Does anyone know if the dual mode exhaust was a separate option or was it included in a package.

The hunt is on for a black, red or gray 2ss/1LE ��
Level300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:50 PM   #8
Stormcloak
slower than you

Drives: 2012 C6 Z06
Mine doesn't rattle yet. Clutch travel is fairly long but predictable, the non-linearity you're feeling is probably from the return spring, and it's very easy to get used to.

Suspension isn't all that harsh, frankly after a few track days you'll start thinking it could be even a bit stiffer

Stock exhaust wasn't loud to me, but mine is not the NPP version. Currently running a SW full exhaust, with headers+cats to be installed this month.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:53 AM   #9
Matty Ice

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
Here is the options for a 1LE;
1SS-Cloth seats
2SS- Leather Seats, HUD
Sunroof
Recaro seats
NPP exhaust

My opinion from what I have seen, the only 2SS cars that come with all three options(NPP, Recaros, sunroof) were specific customer ordered cars and are hard to come by, especially when looking for a specific color. Chevy/dealers kept the prices about the same depending on options. Like a 1SS with NPP/Recaros vs 2SS w/sunroof. Hope this helps, good luck.
Matty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 03:12 PM   #10
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
We have about 61K on ours and the suspension has been easy to live with for me. We had to order the car to avoid the NPP as I thought it was too loud for a DD. We have had the car about 5 years now, and it has a few rattles that seem to come and go. I attribute it to the stiff suspension. It is nothing that really bothers me.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:27 PM   #11
CrystalRedTintcoat

NPP was an option in 2013. Don’t know the order configuration rules after that point.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:33 PM   #12
CrystalRedTintcoat

Here’s my personal notes on what’s a 1LE that I created back in 2012. You may need to refresh this for your 2015.

SS 1LE Performance Package

This SS 1LE Performance Package bears the iconic 1LE option code that is a Camaro legend. This competition-ready package has been coveted by both Camaro owners and track enthusiasts. This SS 1LE Performance Package includes:

* 20" x 10" front and 20" x 11" rear aluminum wheels with a 10-spoke design from the ZL1 and a low-gloss Black finish
* 285/35ZR20 Goodyear Eagle Supercar Generation 2 performance summer tires1, front and rear
* Performance Ride and Handling suspension with front and rear stabilizer bars for excellent body control and vehicle responsiveness
* TREMEC 6-speed manual transmission with a 3.91 final-drive axle ratio
On 1SS models, this package requires Black Sport Cloth interior. On 2SS models, this package requires Black front leather seating surfaces interior. This package is not available with 6-speed automatic transmission, any stripe package or any dealer-installed wheels.

1 Summer-only tires tend to wear faster and are more susceptible to damage from road hazards or curb impact than standard profile tires. This type of damage is not covered by the GM New Vehicle Limited Warranty. You may want to get different tires if you expect to drive in winter conditions. See your dealer for proper tire selection.

Video from Al Oppenheiser (chief engineer) explaining what the 1LE is:

Video from Chevy's test drive on the Virginia International Raceway:

Here are list of 1LE features:
* close-ratio TR6060-MM6 six-speed stick
* final-drive ratio of 3.91:1.
* The transmission also gets a cooling system, like on the ZL1.
* The V-8's output is unchanged from that of manual SS models, at 426 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque.
* Suspension modifications include
* a larger, 27-mm front anti-roll bar,
* a 28-mm rear anti-roll bar,
* ZL1 toe links,
* ZL1 rear shock mounts,
* a strut-tower brace.
* Beefier half-shafts are supposed to help cope with the improved traction
* wheel bearings come from the ZL1
* the fuel system has been upgraded with the ZL1’s high-capacity fuel pump and additional fuel pickups to avoid high-g fuel starvation.
* 20x10 front and 20x11 rear wheels are inspired by the ZL1’s rims
* 285/35ZR20 Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperCar G: 2 tires at all four corner
* specifically tuned monotube dampers in place of the Camaro SS’s standard twin-tube unit
(Taken from the ZLE-registry website - 1LE

Specific Part Numbers:
* Strut Tower Brace (LT, SS, 1LE) - 22756880
* Wheel Hubs (ZL1, 1LE) (4) - 25954415
* Front Coil Spring (SS, 1LE) (2) - 92245257
* Front Strut (1LE) (passenger side) - 22812984
* Front Strut (1LE) (driver side) - 22812985
* Front Sway Bar (1LE) - 22812946
* Front Sway End Link (SS, ZL1, 1LE) (passenger side) - 22842515
* Front Sway End Link (SS, ZL1, 1LE) (driver side) - 22842516
* Rear Shock Mount (ZL1, 1LE) (passenger side upper) - 22836734
* Rear Shock Mount (ZL1, 1LE) (driver side upper) - 22836727
* Rear Coil Spring (SS, 1LE) (2) - 92195466
* Rear Shocks (1LE) (2) - 22812987
* Rear Sway Bar (ZL1, 1LE) - 22786260
* Rear Sway Bar Endlink (SS, ZL1, 1LE) (2) - 22761221
* Rear Lower Control Arm (SS, ZL1, 1LE) (2) - 20942237 (Needed for 2010-2011 car conversion)
* Rear Toe Link (ZL1, 1LE) (2) - 22845487
* 3.91 Gears only ( 1LE ) - 22813040
* Front Splitter kit ( 1LE ) - 22950575
* Wheels 20x10 Black ( ZL1-1LE ) - 22798741
* Wheels 20x11 Black ( ZL1-1LE ) - 22798743
Old 05-01-2018, 08:35 PM   #13
km9v

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcloak View Post
Mine doesn't rattle yet. Clutch travel is fairly long but predictable, the non-linearity you're feeling is probably from the return spring, and it's very easy to get used to.

Suspension isn't all that harsh, frankly after a few track days you'll start thinking it could be even a bit stiffer

Stock exhaust wasn't loud to me, but mine is not the NPP version. Currently running a SW full exhaust, with headers+cats to be installed this month.
Removing the clutch pedal return spring was the best thing I ever did to my camaro.
km9v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:34 AM   #14
Matty Ice

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
In 2014 the Recaros became the 3rd option(sunroof, NPP) and the dash DIC got color with the 2SS. I think those was the only changes between the 13 and 14-15?
Matty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote