Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-17-2009, 08:34 AM   #1
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
Post GM bulletin on Perceived Paint Mismatch on Door and Quarter Panel Paint Appearance

Service Information

Document ID: 2346049

#09-08-51-004: Information on Door and Quarter Panel Paint Appearance - (Sep 10, 2009)

Subject: Information on Door and Quarter Panel Paint Appearance
Models: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro

On the 2010 Camaro, the shade of paint on the doors may appear to be different than the shade of paint on the quarter panels. This appearance varies in severity based on different viewing angles and light conditions. This perception is more apparent with certain colors. Use this bulletin to help the customer understand the design of their vehicle.

Paint Process

At the time of vehicle manufacture, the complete sheet metal body of the car is painted at the same time (the body, hood, decklid and doors). The panels (doors, hood and decklid) are attached to the vehicle and in the proper position when it goes through the plant paint process. All of the panels receive the undercoat layers and top coat finishes using the same material, application process and final bake process. This continuity of process ensures a uniform paint application to the entire vehicle. The result of this extensive process is a seamless paint match over the entire vehicle. The only major exterior panels that do not get painted during this process are the bumper fascias. The bumper fascias receive a flexible paint application using a unique process. All of the paint used in the paint process is matched to a paint color standard, ensuring that the colors are consistent from batch to batch. This color standard also ensures consistency from vehicle to vehicle.

Vehicle Design

On the Camaro, the door to quarter panel angle match is the design intent. The geometry of the quarter panel provides a sporty definition and highlights the depth of the design. It is intended to show the color variation created by angling the body panels a few degrees.

Addressing Customer Concerns

Use the following photographs and descriptions to demonstrate to the vehicle owner that what they are seeing on their vehicle is not a color mis-match, but a intended design feature.

Name:  bulletin1.jpg
Views: 21478
Size:  16.8 KB

This first photograph shows a paint test panel finished in "Wildfire" metallic. The white arrow points to the paint "standard". This is the paint sample used to ensure color consistency.

Name:  bulletin2.jpg
Views: 21185
Size:  14.5 KB

This photograph shows the same paint test panel with a slight crease in the center, creating an angle in the panel similar to the Camaro door to quarter panel relationship. The finish on the right side of the panel has "shifted", creating a different hue of the same color. Note the arrow shows the paint standard on the left side of the paint test panel in the same position as the first photograph.

Name:  bulletin3.jpg
Views: 20919
Size:  15.5 KB

This final photograph shows the same paint test panel described in the second photograph. In this photograph, the arrow points to the same paint "standard" used in the first two photographs but it has been repositioned to the right side of the paint test panel. Note the paint "standard" has shifted along with the finish on the paint test panel.

** Official Bulletin Document attached **
Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:58 PM   #2
MikeZ28

Drives: '04 GTO, '00 Z28, '95 Z28
Nice bulletin. But what's GM gonna do about the percieved mismatch between the metal panels and the plastic nose cone and gas cap on the metallic colors...
MikeZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeZ28 View Post
Nice bulletin. But what's GM gonna do about the percieved mismatch between the metal panels and the plastic nose cone and gas cap on the metallic colors...
Apparently not much..
Old 10-07-2009, 07:04 AM   #4
Magoo

Drives: 86 Buick T-Type
Even though the paint is mixed exactly, painting plastic vs metal will make a difference hue color. My 08 Buick (white pearl color) has this problem. Very hard to match, if possible? From a excellant Paint/Body Shop that paints Lexus Cars too. They (Lexus) don't seem to have this problem but probably has the best paint job out there. My thoughts. Gene
Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:05 PM   #5
faninc

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS in SIM
my hood and frontplastic hood surround are two tone on a cloudy day...
faninc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:15 PM   #6
BICHN CAMARO

Drives: without a license: ss 6m
The color match "problem" at the rear edge of the door to the 1/4 is caused by the metallics and pearls reflecting the light differently since the two panels are at slightly different angles. This is what we in the auto refinishing world call "flop". All the repainting in the world won't cure it, just change it slightly.

I am not sure how the plastic is refinished on the Camaro but most manufactures do it separately due to the high temps used in curing. Some have a better process than others. It can fluctuate from car to car. If you have a bad match at the front facia (bumper cover) to the fenders and hood the only way for a seamless match is to reshoot the cover and blend into the a- joining panels.

Trust me it's what I do for a living.
BICHN CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:36 PM   #7
camaroaarp

Drives: 2010 White LS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeZ28 View Post
Did you ever get any answers on this. I posted the exact same problem on my summit white car, but never got any real answers. Thanks.
camaroaarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:38 PM   #8
camaroaarp

Drives: 2010 White LS Camaro
Good post. Thanks.
camaroaarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:11 PM   #9
faninc

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS in SIM
So in ceratin light the car looks like 3 different shades...hood and front plastic nose do not match and door and panels do not match...gotta love progress?

Love the car however....
faninc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:17 PM   #10
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BICHN CAMARO View Post
The color match "problem" at the rear edge of the door to the 1/4 is caused by the metallics and pearls reflecting the light differently since the two panels are at slightly different angles. This is what we in the auto refinishing world call "flop". All the repainting in the world won't cure it, just change it slightly.

I am not sure how the plastic is refinished on the Camaro but most manufactures do it separately due to the high temps used in curing. Some have a better process than others. It can fluctuate from car to car. If you have a bad match at the front facia (bumper cover) to the fenders and hood the only way for a seamless match is to reshoot the cover and blend into the a- joining panels.

Trust me it's what I do for a living.

Sounds like you know what you are talking about for sure
Old 05-17-2010, 11:45 AM   #11
BRITCAM5

Drives: 2010 WHITE CAMARO 2SS/RS
Hi! I have a summit white camaro 2ss rs with the halo's etc. My question is has anybody noticed on their cars the paint is not finished on the inside corners and underneath where the halo's hid lights are mounted? I am talking about the area up underneath in the corners where the lights are recessed where the lights are recessed and it's not even glossy, you can actually see the primer coat with a bit of white paint spray! Any notice this too and if so is it normal as you can see there is no paint there up close!
BRITCAM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:04 PM   #12
MikeZ28

Drives: '04 GTO, '00 Z28, '95 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRITCAM5 View Post
Hi! I have a summit white camaro 2ss rs with the halo's etc. My question is has anybody noticed on their cars the paint is not finished on the inside corners and underneath where the halo's hid lights are mounted? I am talking about the area up underneath in the corners where the lights are recessed where the lights are recessed and it's not even glossy, you can actually see the primer coat with a bit of white paint spray! Any notice this too and if so is it normal as you can see there is no paint there up close!
Some other people here have posted that they have the same issue (almost no paint in those areas around the headlights).
MikeZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:37 PM   #13
casadesola

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Rally Yellow M6
I heard some of those Found On Road Dead guys have similar issues under the hood. If they remove the hood liner on their little ponies, all they see is primer and some overspray. Looks like Detroit is getting cheap all around!!
casadesola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:25 PM   #14
Boost6924

Drives: 2SS/RS
My summit white camaro is two tone for sure. This is getting so annoying, that i'm taking it back to dealer and ask what they can do about it. I understand the problem matching plastic and metal parts but c'mon mine looks like crap IMO. Anyone with summit white with same problem?
Boost6924 is offline   Reply With Quote