Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-01-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
daphatgrant
June '10

Drives: '10 2SS/RS RJT
Possible to have to much air coming in?

I've got to start off by saying that I am new to performance cars but I am doing my best to learn .

I plan on doing some cosmetic/minor performance upgrades over the winter months. A large part of these deal with the introduction of cold air into the intake. I am looking at doing several mods.

1. CAI's cold air intake

2. ADM's Cold Air Scoop

3. ACS T3 Ports

4. MPD Z-Force Hood (designed to specifically work with CAI's CAI)

If I can get the ADM scoop to play nice with the ACS ports I should have some good air flow coming into the bottom of the intake and from what I have heard the MPD hood does a good job of funneling air in from the top side of the intake. I know that the overall air coming in is limited by the diameter of the intake pipe. I'm curious if theres a point where you can introduce too much air without changing/adding something else or if the intake diameter will eventually be the bottleneck.

Thanks and please be kind I am new to all this .

(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)
daphatgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
zirotti

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Just make sure after all is done, you have it properly tuned

But, if you are going to get that hood, I don't think that scoop is totally necessary. And another to consider is that the CAI is a closed book. You are better off going with a Rotofab CAI with an open box if you are going to use that hood as it would dump right into the Rotofab opening.
zirotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:47 PM   #3
daphatgrant
June '10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirotti View Post
Just make sure after all is done, you have it properly tuned
I was wondering if at some point a tune would be necessary. I guess my next question is, is a tune necessary as in you are going to throw codes if you don't get one or will you just not see the performance gains you should see with a tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirotti View Post
And another to consider is that the CAI is a closed book. You are better off going with a Rotofab CAI with an open box if you are going to use that hood as it would dump right into the Rotofab opening.
I'll need to contact MPD to see if I can buy just the lid from them (I like the black CAI that Apex sells) but according to their site if you buy the CAI from them (MPD) It "Comes with a special lid with seal for a MPD hood."

Thanks for the quick responses .

Old 10-01-2010, 10:16 PM   #4
Brownhornitt

Drives: 2006 White Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by daphatgrant View Post
I was wondering if at some point a tune would be necessary. I guess my next question is, is a tune necessary as in you are going to throw codes if you don't get one or will you just not see the performance gains you should see with a tune.
Tune is not necessary. Should have to do with the performance gains.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
daphatgrant
June '10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownhornitt View Post
Tune is not necessary. Should have to do with the performance gains.
Gotcha, I was wondering if there would come a point where it would throw codes that only a tune could correct.

Thanks .

Old 10-01-2010, 11:34 PM   #6
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
It shouldn't throw codes. You're giving it an abundance of air but you're not forcing it into the intake pipe. It will still need to suck the air into the intake pipe. I agree with above about not using the CAI CAI with that hood. You need a CAI that seals to the hood. Unless i'm mistaken, they all have rubber around the top to seal well with the hood. That "should" be enough. Not sure if you need both the ADM scoop and the hood. I'd think that one should be more than sufficient. I'd definitely take the hood over the ADM scoop.

Sweet looking hood BTW.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:39 AM   #7
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphatgrant View Post
I'll need to contact MPD to see if I can buy just the lid from them (I like the black CAI that Apex sells) but according to their site if you buy the CAI from them (MPD) It "Comes with a special lid with seal for a MPD hood."
The opening in the bottom of the hood appears to match the window in the CAI intake lid. I bet their "special lid" is a regular lid that has had the window remover and had a big fat weather seal added in its place.

I can't imagine that doing both the race scoop and the hood would have much benefit over doing just one or the other. I would use the race scoop for air induction and get a hood with some heat extraction function. I think the race scoop would be more effective for induction since it is out front away from the hot engine bay and the hood sits right on top of it absorbing all that heat plus the heat from the sun.

Last edited by Apex Motorsports; 10-02-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
I have both, well, all 3: hood scoop, ADM Race intake, and the ADM CAI open top with a seal. She has also been tuned, however, I have never seen a code thrown.
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:04 AM   #9
gearhead440

Drives: Yellow 2SS, 6 speed manual
Say, that yellow Camaro with the CAI in Black and ADM scoop looks really familiar . I certainly like the ADM and CAI combo and have had no problems or codes without a tune.

The most recent Janetty CAI testing with this combo netted 18hp increase so it is functional. The CAI in the photo has a plexiglass cover with a lid that seals to the box and the scoop channels air up from the bottom. You would have to remove the plexiglass (held on by double-sided tape) and use some type of rubber or foam to create a seal for affective use with that hood.

Hers & His
gearhead440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:23 AM   #10
Eric-MPD1.com

Drives: Cool parts for cool cars
[QUOTE=Apex Chase;2394592]

The opening in the bottom of the hood appears to match the window in the CAI intake lid. I bet their "special lid" is a regular lid that has had the window remover and had a big fat weather seal added in its place.

This is correct.
By ordering your CAI from us you get the seal that gets put on once you take the window out. Not necessarly a "big fat" seal. We experimented with quite a few differnent suppliers before we came up with one that was just the right dimensions and the right degree of "give" when you shut the hood. If you orderd your CAI from CAI inc he will not supply the seal. If you are planning to upgrade to a MPD1 hood in the future order it from us so you have the seal when you get your hood.
Eric-MPD1.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:37 AM   #11
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
We all Know that RAM AIR is a Myth, but this Hood Clearly gives a Nice big Volume of air for the engine to draw from.

This is where we see all the Gains in power, Giving the Air a clear Path to make it to the filter without Obstructions Like the Washer bottle.

This Should Work as well as the ADM Scoop by it self and together your engine should never have any Problem finding air to ingest

Plus It looks Cool!

Nice Job MPD1

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:53 AM   #12
Eric-MPD1.com

Drives: Cool parts for cool cars
thanks Ted! :)

Thats what I tell my customers also. Makes me think of the guy that had one of those forward facing scoops on his race car. Took it off and turned it around and ran .7 seconds faster 1/4 mile times.
If you are going to build a hood with a scoop the airs gotta go someplace, might as well be the airbox.
Eric-MPD1.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:19 PM   #13
Sack Rat 2SS

Drives: Silver SS/RS, Man 6
Regarding ANY aftermarket hood, forced air or heat extraction, be sure to do all the fitment and alignment BEFORE prime and paint. If you order one painted you may regret as you will be fussing with it. You might get lucky but I have never seen one ordered that was as good a fit as factory. Just trying to save you much angst. Also, do you wonder what the new Z-28 hood will look like and how it will function? I would do the ADM scoop with ADM CAI and wait awhile. Good Luck
Sack Rat 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote