Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 10-31-2010, 10:30 AM   #1
USNSCPO
Gearhead

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Help! Dead Radio and Parking Assist need schematics pls

Looking for schematics that cover both the radio and parking assist

2 weeks ago I installed a modest subwoofer using the ******** harness. A week later, while out for a drive, I get a big thump, brief wiff of burnt electronics and the radio goes dark. Sonic parking assist doesn't work either.

The small fuse block in the trunk right side has a blown radio fuse. Plug a new fuse in which immediately blows while while ignition is off. So, I pull the ******** harness out, and completely uninstall the amp. Now I can install a new fuse without blowing, but the radio and parking assist are still out.

I've physically checked every fuse on the car... under hood, in the driver side dash area, and in the trunk - mini Js and all others to no avail. The radio will not power on and the parking assist will not power on. I don't even get the "locked" head unit message.

Any ideas where I should investigate next?

Thanks for any ideas.

PS: I should also mention that I used to install stereos part time in the 80s and 90s, so please assume I've not pulled an noob. thanks.

Last edited by USNSCPO; 11-01-2010 at 04:37 PM.
USNSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
USNSCPO
Gearhead

quick update. I've done a continuity check on the ******** harness, and it checks out... no shorts in the harness.

Somewhere, there's a short that has probably burned through a power wire or relay wire in the infotainment system that also shares power to the parking assistant. Without a comprehensive schematic I'm spinning my wheels.... If anyone has a schematic, would you mind taking a look and suggest locations that might be most susceptible to a short. The short did happen when I hit a bump. Really appreciate some help.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #3
SuperH
Synergized

Drives: 2011 SGM M6 2SS/RS
Send a message via ICQ to SuperH Send a message via AIM to SuperH Send a message via MSN to SuperH Send a message via Yahoo to SuperH
Did you ever get this fixed? Check for ground loops.

If the fuse didn't blow, there should have been no current draw. Park assist is done by the radio; this is why this won't work; the sound is generated by the audio system. The audio system needs to work for park assist to work.
SuperH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:35 PM   #4
USNSCPO
Gearhead

Thanks for the reply, SuperH. Thought I'd get more suggestions than one so far...:P

No fix yet. Parking assist in the audio is what I suspected, thx for confirming. I wonder if its working and simply not generating the tones because of the radio being dead? Maybe I'll check the PA sensors with a multimeter and see if they are getting power. I'm still scratching my head on this.

Disconnected the batt overnight in the far fetched hope of triggering a reset of something-- nada. I've also traced all the radio related wiring in the trunk and its all solid. I've yet to pull the radio and check the wiring and rear of the headunit...

Symptoms so far: no power to radio; no lights for the climate controls but heat and ac still work; no audio from the parking assist; continuous blown radio fuses while sub amp installed with ******** harness; no blown fuses since uninstalling the ******** harness.

At some point I'll take it to the dealer... but I'm not looking forward to fighting with them over this being warranty work. The only thing the ******** harness does is pull low signal for input to the amp and provide remote power-on from the factory amp's turn on signal. In effect, this configuration does not generate any voltage or signal into the factory system. It therefore should not be responsible for creating a short or power surge, yes? No?

Last edited by USNSCPO; 11-03-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:03 PM   #5
SuperH
Synergized

Send a message via ICQ to SuperH Send a message via AIM to SuperH Send a message via MSN to SuperH Send a message via Yahoo to SuperH
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNSCPO View Post
At some point I'll take it to the dealer... but I'm not looking forward to fighting with them over this being warranty work. The only thing the ******** harness does is pull low signal for input to the amp and provide remote power-on from the factory amp's turn on signal. In effect, this configuration does not generate any voltage or signal into the factory system. It therefore should not be responsible for creating a short or power surge, yes? No?
Don't expect it to be warranty work. Anything can happen when you use a high power amplifier; if the amplifier failed closed, you could be potentially driving rail voltage on your inputs, because of the way the feedback loop is set up on a class A-B amplifier.

I'd remove the equipment in its entirety; then, take it to the dealer for investigation, to find root cause. My suspicion, however, is that the failure is related to an amplifier failure - my two cents; this would align with the fuse blowing; an internal amplifier short. Check to ensure that your harness is properly installed; all positives are going to all positives, and all negatives are going to all negatives. Flip-flopping of one of these can have some serious side effects; especially if the stock setup is balanced. Do you have the Boston system?

If they see that equipment, they aren't likely to warranty the system.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:35 AM   #6
USNSCPO
Gearhead

NOOOOOO... I don't want to hear that! :P I'm comfortably in denial.... the sub amp is brand new, and worked fine for nearly 2 weeks. Blah... I'll bench test it this weekend.

Last night I also rechecked the ******** harness. Continuity is good across all leads, and the pinouts are all correct according to the plug schematics "sticky-d" in this forum.

Thanks Super!
Old 11-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
USNSCPO
Gearhead

The new amp failed bench test. It will power on, but no output. I get no sound, and no voltage. So, I think you were right SuperH. Short sent high power surge back to the radio.

I have confirmed that the parking assist is working, just no sound output. Also, the bluetooth is working. I can make a call and transmit, but again, no output/sound.

I'm about to take it to the dealer. Unless someone who has removed the radio can suggest something else I that would be capable of a fix? Please?

Older radios had a fuse in their back side. Does the OEM radio have one?
Old 11-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #8
Tallboy
Say "when"...

Drives: 11 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNSCPO View Post
The new amp failed bench test. It will power on, but no output. I get no sound, and no voltage. So, I think you were right SuperH. Short sent high power surge back to the radio.

I have confirmed that the parking assist is working, just no sound output. Also, the bluetooth is working. I can make a call and transmit, but again, no output/sound.

I'm about to take it to the dealer. Unless someone who has removed the radio can suggest something else I that would be capable of a fix? Please?

Older radios had a fuse in their back side. Does the OEM radio have one?
Are you telling them about the amp, or expecting them to warranty it?
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #9
USNSCPO
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
Are you telling them about the amp, or expecting them to warranty it?
Yea, I think I'll take the moral high road and tell them I had an amp powering a sub tapped off the low signal pins. Absent the "failed" amp, there should be no external reason for a radio failure. I may forget to mention that it failed. My dealer has been great so far. If they can justify the repair to corporate, then I believe they'll attempt to repair under warranty.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:57 AM   #10
USNSCPO
Gearhead

I've been working with the dealer to fix this. Full disclosure. The "multi-media module" is fried. That's the front panel piece with the display and climate controls. The big question is, will a new one blow when connected? Diagnostic efforts continue while the dealer waits on the part. If I'm understanding the technician correctly, he seems to believe the amp install couldn't have cause this because I had only tapped the low level leads & pwr on. He wanted to know if I opened the dash and was doing anything back there? Nope... Just the ******** harness with the factory amp.

They haven't said so, but it feels like they consider this as customer fault. Final determine to be made on Monday when the new module is installed. We'll see..........
Old 11-13-2010, 09:42 AM   #11
Duper

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS / RS
Jeez, well good luck!
Old 11-15-2010, 05:36 PM   #12
USNSCPO
Gearhead

Great news for me. Dealer called today. GM has decided to warranty the multi-media module which is about $365, plus disassembly, diagnostic, and assembly labor. Only problem is there is not a single part available in the USA. They told me the GM rep has requested to pull a part of the assembly line. If not available, then it will be up to 2 weeks to get the part.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #13
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Good to hear, USNSCPO!! Hope it gets done quick!
Old 11-17-2010, 06:35 AM   #14
SuperH
Synergized

Glad to hear that they got the problem figured out!

Now it is time to get a few performance mods in the interim so that you can listen to the music your engine makes!