Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > Gaming Lounge

Old 12-29-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
Synerbee
SoCal Headturners

Drives: 2010 SGM
Help removing PS3 harddrive Caddy

I just bought a new hard drive for my PS3, but two of the screws on the caddy are stripped. I was wondering how I could remove them. I don't have access to any tools except a few flat heads, and Philip screw driver used to remove the blue screw, and a Philip used to remove the other 2 screws

Last edited by Synerbee; 12-29-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Synerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Do you have a hammer?
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
Synerbee
SoCal Headturners

Nope. My garage is locked with all the tools, and my dad at work with the key.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Wink

I find that needle nose pliers will help as the heads of the screws are not as flush against the bottom (or sides depending if you have a slim or fat PS3). as for replacing the screws dunno what you can do, the drive fits pretty snug in the caddy and once it is 'plugged into' the console it is not gonna fall out of the plug it connects to just do not bump or jostle the system after you do the swap. I am pretty sure if you call PS3 customer service you MAY be able to order replacement hard drive caddy screws, good luck .

EDIT: Sony does not carry replacement screws or the caddy. but if you take one of the 4 screws to a home depot or any store that sells loose screws they may be able to match it, or see if any PC repair shops have any as they resemble the screws that hold PC hard drives and optical drives inside the PC towers.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:02 PM   #5
Synerbee
SoCal Headturners

Thanks I'll try to find a needle nose plier, and I have to good screws so I will just put them diagonal of each other.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
Synerbee
SoCal Headturners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McFly View Post
I find that needle nose pliers will help as the heads of the screws are not as flush against the bottom (or sides depending if you have a slim or fat PS3). as for replacing the screws dunno what you can do, the drive fits pretty snug in the caddy and once it is 'plugged into' the console it is not gonna fall out of the plug it connects to just do not bump or jostle the system after you do the swap. I am pretty sure if you call PS3 customer service you MAY be able to order replacement hard drive caddy screws, good luck .

EDIT: Sony does not carry replacement screws or the caddy. but if you take one of the 4 screws to a home depot or any store that sells loose screws they may be able to match it, or see if any PC repair shops have any as they resemble the screws that hold PC hard drives and optical drives inside the PC towers.
My dad made an extra key to garage a few days ago, and I found a needle nose plier. About 15 minutes of looking for that plier, and 1 hour to get the screws lose I finally finished
Old 12-29-2010, 08:47 PM   #7
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Wink

i was looking at a spare dead 2.5" sata hard drive (the one that came from a old and dead PS3 I salvaged some stuff from). the hard drive does attach to the caddy using small fine threaded PC hardware screws that are used to mount hard drives and DVD or CD rom drives inside PC cases. most PC shops should sell them, you may want to invest in a PC toolkit that has screwdrivers made to work with those teeny screws .
Old 12-30-2010, 12:20 AM   #8
Synerbee
SoCal Headturners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McFly View Post
i was looking at a spare dead 2.5" sata hard drive (the one that came from a old and dead PS3 I salvaged some stuff from). the hard drive does attach to the caddy using small fine threaded PC hardware screws that are used to mount hard drives and DVD or CD rom drives inside PC cases. most PC shops should sell them, you may want to invest in a PC toolkit that has screwdrivers made to work with those teeny screws .
I got it off easily, and left the screws looser than Sony did. I have to now move all my stuff there again
Old 12-30-2010, 01:13 AM   #9
JKLNHYD
Defending the Nation...

Drives: '16 Summit White 2SS, A8, Sunroof
For future issues with stripped screws, you can always take a dremel and put a new sloted-type OR phillips-type cross into the head to try to start over provided you have enough meat left on the head...

'16 2SS, A8, Sunroof, non-NPP
"SURSUM AB ORDINE"
JKLNHYD is offline   Reply With Quote