Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
Switchback700

Drives: 2010 2SS IBM L99
Help spend my money..... Noweeds, CAI, Livernois Tune Questions

Hello All,

I've been reading here since I got this beautiful machine 1 year ago. So far I have put GMPP axle back (not offroad version). It took about 1 month to convince me to buy a Diablosport just to turn that annoying AFM off. I am happy with the current sound for quiet cruising with the Wife and much better sound when getting on the pedal. From what I understand after reading the endless threads about tuning and warranty I have already voided mine even though I did not install the 93 octane Diablo tune, just AFM (DOD) shut off, they can see it has been flashed. So with the MOD's I am looking at I might as well have Livernois tune it.

I am very interested in the Noweeds setup. I love the idea of being able to adjust the decibles for certain times and places, I know there is minimal HP gain. I am also looking at putting a CAI Inc intake on. I have plans down the road to get a set of Long Tube Headers, hiflow cats, Livernois Motorsport's DOD/AFM delete camshaft performance package, and maybe even Supercharged!

Now some questions:

-If I get Noweeds right now I will be getting the 2.5" version. If I get headers after I would have to get 2.5" all the way instead of 3" to keep the Noweeds right (think I know this answer)?

-Is there that much gain with a 3" exhaust over 2.5" when getting headers and hiflow cats? If not I could just do Noweeds 2.5" first and keep it later when doing a full 2.5" exhaust. Would the Noweeds 2.5" for stock be compatible with full 2.5" exhaust?

-I know it would make more sense to get the Full LT headers, hiflo cats, all 3" before buying a 2.5" Noweeds but I don't know how much louder the Long tube setup would be with my GMPP mufflers over what I have now. I go to work at 530 am and don't really want to be pissing neighbors off. Anybody do a similiar swap that can tell me how much louder? Also how much more drone at Hway cruising with the long tubes?

-How much HP would the long tubes really give me with a CAI and Livernois Tune over the setup I have, CAI, and a Livernois Tune (Rick, I will be calling soon)?

I have too many other questions but will start with these..... sorry for the multiple indecisions on my part, the more I investigate the more options, questions, and money it would cost me seems to happen!

Thank Guys!

Bill
Switchback700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
Gavros 4 Life

Drives: 2SS/RS Summit White Black Stripes
there is no gain between 2.5" and 3" the only difference is the air flow dnt expect to get more hp out of the 3" or anything like that its just a slightly better flow of the exhaust.

Headers LTs with a tune and a good CAI can get you a good 50-65 Rwhp

and you can just put the 2.5" noweeds after the highflow cats...the cats will have a 2.5" output to match ur xat and your noweeds set up
Gavros 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
Switchback700

Thanks Gavros....... how's the floormats look?
Old 02-28-2011, 05:03 PM   #4
Gavros 4 Life

loving them everyday! make the trunk look sharp with the subs and the color matches up really nice! glad i was able to get my hands on them before someone else

(not trying to jack ur thread btw )
Old 02-28-2011, 08:23 PM   #5
cgillies86

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS M6
I went with the Header, Exhaust, Intake and Tune Package from Livernois http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...t.phtml?p=1972

I am happy with the results, the car drives great, sounds much better than stock and has a good increase in power. Below is the before and after dyno results for my LS3 Camaro.
Attached Images

cgillies86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:13 PM   #6
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Unless you are supercharged there is no reason to get a 3" exhaust. You could in fact LOSE power by going that route. Many others will agree with this while a few may not.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:35 AM   #7
1Camaro2SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
There are many 750hp camaros out there with 2.5" exhaust. You don't need 3" for performance.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:59 AM   #8
Chris@Livernois

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Bill,

Thank you for your interest in our products! I will be out of the office the rest of the week, but you can call Andy at 313-561-5500 ex. 2110 with any questions you may have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgillies86 View Post
I went with the Header, Exhaust, Intake and Tune Package from Livernois http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...t.phtml?p=1972

I am happy with the results, the car drives great, sounds much better than stock and has a good increase in power. Below is the before and after dyno results for my LS3 Camaro.
Thanks for posting Chris!

-Rick
Chris@Livernois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
Agent WD-40

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
You might want to PM AdamCzap. He has had noweeds, CAI brand intake, livernois tune, long tube headers,etc and ask him his opinions on all that. He went twin turbos now so it doesn't apply (he still has the noweeds though).

With long tubes and stock L99 exhaust his car wasn't all that loud at all. IMO it sounded great, closer to how it should have from the factory. Basically it wasn't loud unless you really stood on it.

I would assume your setup with the GMPP axle back wouldn't be too loud either, especially with the big resonator/muffler in the middle of the car still in place.

With long tubes and noweeds open it was crazy loud though. Lots of fun too.

I have long tubes and the L99 corsa on my car and it can be pretty loud on cold startups and when you get on it. This setup is lots louder than long tubes and the factory L99 exhaust was on Adam's car. My car has a Livernois 2c cam w/VVT & DOD delete too so that makes it louder as well.
Stainless Works 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers
Corsa Exhaust
Agent WD-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:47 PM   #10
Switchback700

Thanks Guys.... I think I am leaning towards Noweeds 2.5" for stock since I can update later to full 2.5" exhaust without making the Noweeds obsolete. And having Livernois do the install........ and while I am there I will probably be talked into a CAI and tune :o) Come on Springtime!
Old 03-02-2011, 06:03 PM   #11
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchback700 View Post
Thanks Guys.... I think I am leaning towards Noweeds 2.5" for stock since I can update later to full 2.5" exhaust without making the Noweeds obsolete. And having Livernois do the install........ and while I am there I will probably be talked into a CAI and tune :o) Come on Springtime!
take my advice. i have been back and fourth to my local shops getting mods and i totally regret it. i could have saved allot of money and time just to get it all done at one time or at least more then i did. get the CAI and tune. we both know you will be back to get it sooner or later.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:35 PM   #12
Switchback700

You're right MikeSS, I have already flashed my car once so I might as well have Livernois tune it........ I will drive myself (and wife) crazy some more over the weekend thinking about it and get in touch with Rick next week. Having problems with AAA insurance not wanting to cover any performance Mods right now....
Old 03-02-2011, 06:39 PM   #13
Gavros 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchback700 View Post
Having problems with AAA insurance not wanting to cover any performance Mods right now....