Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-03-2011, 08:13 AM   #1
BloodUSMC
Blood Sucking War Machine

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS - A6
Headers?

What would you recommend for headers?

I'm looking for headers that will help performance wise but also make the exhaust sound good.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
long tube or short?

IMO, i would go with BBK or ARH long tubes, or Doug Thorley Shorty's.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:28 AM   #3
BloodUSMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
long tube or short?

IMO, i would go with BBK or ARH long tubes, or Doug Thorley Shorty's.
is there any performance difference between shorty's and lts? I read somewhere that Long tubes get more power but cant find the topic now.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:30 AM   #4
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
Go with long tube. You will end up switching to long tube if you do decide to go with shortys one day most likely. All long tube will give you similar gains. If cost is not an issue go with what poor man recommended. OBX LT is a good option also and only cost around 350 shipped but you will have to remove all cats which to some is not an issue and sometimes help with overall performance. The gains with shortys is minimal.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:47 AM   #5
BloodUSMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
Go with long tube. You will end up switching to long tube if you do decide to go with shortys one day most likely. All long tube will give you similar gains. If cost is not an issue go with what poor man recommended. OBX LT is a good option also and only cost around 350 shipped but you will have to remove all cats which to some is not an issue and sometimes help with overall performance. The gains with shortys is minimal.
why would I want to switch one day to LT's?

EDIT: Found them EZR for 350. thanks.

and I dont think cats is an issue for me right now as I dont have to re inspect my car till 2016
Old 11-03-2011, 09:06 AM   #6
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodUSMC View Post
why would I want to switch one day to LT's?

EDIT: Found them EZR for 350. thanks.

and I dont think cats is an issue for me right now as I dont have to re inspect my car till 2016
We recommend high flow cats. Off road pipes will give you an immediate cel that will be there till you get a custom tune. Most people complain about the smell and they won't offer any horsepower benefits. Not to mention they are illegal in every state and most exhaust shops won't have anything to do with your car without cats. If you don't plan on tuning the car right away I would go with high flow cats for sure.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:10 AM   #7
BloodUSMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
We recommend high flow cats. Off road pipes will give you an immediate cel that will be there till you get a custom tune. Most people complain about the smell and they won't offer any horsepower benefits. Not to mention they are illegal in every state and most exhaust shops won't have anything to do with your car without cats. If you don't plan on tuning the car right away I would go with high flow cats for sure.
I will tune with trifecta.

Also EZRPerformance is out of stock with the OBX LT's. Anyone know any other place that sells them for 350 shipped?
Old 11-03-2011, 09:22 AM   #8
big boss

Drives: Imp.blue, tuned,cold air,magfl,
I would like LT's as well , but there's so much to dill with on O2's.
I would buy a set too, if I could make sure that I could pass,each year.
big boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:29 AM   #9
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Quote:
I will tune with trifecta.

Also EZRPerformance is out of stock with the OBX LT's. Anyone know any other place that sells them for 350 shipped?
There was some guy here selling one for pretty cheap, you might want to search. The reason why I said that most likely you will go to LT from shorty is simple. Horsepower. You will want more so you might as well get the most from the beginning and save yourself the headache.

I been running without cats since day one and juiced1 is right. You will have to deal with the smell especially on those windy days when you have your windows down. Also, some shops will not touch your car without cats by law, but I never had that situation yet.

I hear every once in a blue moon that by removing the cats there's no performance benefit but I have to disagree with this somewhat. I have no idea if our LLT will benefit from removing all of the restriction since no one has done a dyno of before and after but there are alot of cars out there that benefit by removing the cats. At the end of the day high flow or not it will still restrict air flow to some degree. I've seen honda's that got 13+ hp by removing the cats to LS that got about 5hp to other cars that got none.

The next time I do long tube's I will certainly make sure that I have high flows simply due to the smell.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #10
MTI Racing Kevin

Drives: 2010 Camaro
American Racing Headers makes an awesome header system for your Camaro. You can choose between their long or short system with or without cats. The long system would be my recommendation for the most power gains. The long system has the headers, high flow cats(or without cats) and an x-pipe center section that will connect to the factory mufflers at the rear axle.

This is the American Racing Header short system with cats. The long system will have the x-pipe center section.

Click here for more info
MTI Racing Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #11
BloodUSMC

will my warranty be valid if I use the high flow cats? or its voided for replacing the headers?
Old 11-03-2011, 09:42 AM   #12
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Anytime you tune and replace headers you are taking a big risk kissing your warranty bye bye. If your dealer find out that you have a tune that is an automatic disqualification, but some dealers are cool enough and mod friendly. Can't say for sure if you will lose your warranty but with any mods you are taking a chance. I always tell peoples, if you are worried about warranty then keep your car stock, period.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #13
MTI Racing Kevin

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
will my warranty be valid if I use the high flow cats? or its voided for replacing the headers?
When it comes to warraty issues always consult your dealer. Each dealer can differ with warranty issues.
MTI Racing Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:15 AM   #14
BloodUSMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTI Racing Kevin View Post
When it comes to warraty issues always consult your dealer. Each dealer can differ with warranty issues.
true. thanks