Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-25-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
Exclamation TPMS issues - finally a response!

I contacted a few TPMS sensor manufacturers in light of the issues recently, regarding the TPMS sensors pairing with the car and then dropping off after reaching highway speeds. Orange Electronics produces OEM and aftermarket sensors, one of their technical guys responded back to me.

Apparently, GM decided to change their sensor frequency mid-year during production of all 2010 models. The early 2010 models have a 315 Mhz frequency sensor in the tires. Somewhere along the way, they became 314.9 Mhz sensors. This new 314.9 Mhz frequency is GM's new "Global Standard".

This issue is so new that even the current sensor part #'s in GM's database still reference the old sensor. Most GM dealers aren't even aware of this issue yet. They will continue to mis-diagnose the problems until this information is shared.

The older OEM (and replacement aftermarket) sensors using 315 Mhz will pair with the new 314.9 Mhz TPMS system since the frequencies are so close. The sensors will function properly for a short time, and then will drop out once the wheels are at highway speeds for a short interval.

As of this moment, there are no aftermarket 314.9 Mhz sensors available. They should become available soon. If you go to the GM dealership and order new TPMS sensors, chances are you will still end up with the incorrect 315 Mhz sensors, since the GM part numbers are not updated yet.

This explains why earlier built 2010 Camaros seem to work fine, later cars have issues.

Until these issues become more clear, I will no longer sell TPMS sensors. I apologize if any of my customers have had TPMS pairing issues. It appears only the ones that came with your car might be the current solution. I will gladly refund you for the TPMS purchases, or exchange them for 314.9 Mhz sensors, once they become available. Only a handful of customers have seen this problem so far.

Tony
Old 06-25-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
adub

Drives: Shopping
I know we all greatly appreciate the research. Fine work sir!
adub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
g-townmach
I FARTED

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Good info indeed.

Is there any way we could found out when the switch happened? So people could pin-point which they have by just checking their build date.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:07 PM   #4
adub

Drives: Shopping
I assume this means swapping the original sensors to the new wheels would elliminate this issue?

Any idea if the stock sensors fit aftermarket wheels?
adub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:13 PM   #5
Nine Ball

Aaron, your stock sensors should work. The way we have them mounted inside your tires, the stockers will work as-is. Usually the seal around the rubber nipple gets damaged when removed, but since yours won't be used to seal anything they should be fine.

We can mark the wheel and tire with a wax pencil, then it shouldn't even need a re-balance.

Tony
Old 06-25-2010, 05:18 PM   #6
Nine Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-townmach View Post
Good info indeed.

Is there any way we could found out when the switch happened? So people could pin-point which they have by just checking their build date.
FrankT made an interesting response in the other thread. I'm betting this number is related.

"There is a bulletin out from GM on this #PIC5174G. If your car was built before breakpoint A9132183, the BCM needs an update. You will need to go to the dealer for this."

Looks like they wish to update the older build cars. This probably means your BCM will be reflashed to accept the 314.9 Mhz sensors. They will probably then make all replacement sensors the 314.9 Mhz model. I'm not sure if your current 315 Mhz sensors will continue to work though.

DO NOT do this if you still have the original 315 Mhz sensors (older Camaro builds). Might become reverse-wonky. LOL that would suck.

Tony
Old 06-25-2010, 05:36 PM   #7
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
As Nine Ball knows, I am one of the folks experiencing this very issue.

First let me give a huge THANK YOU to Nine Ball for finally getting to the bottom of this. It's been a very frustrating issue!

I had finally given up on the TPMS sensors that Nine Ball included with my wheels and I ordered new OEM sensors from my dealer yesterday. The parts manager order a new set of OEM TPMS sensors for me. When he placed the order, he used my VIN to get the correct part number. I picked them up today. I am just wondering if they are actually the correct sensors based on this new information. By the way, my car was built on January 11, 2010 and the VIN is 181297.

I guess I should take apart my stock wheels and use those sensors. The thing is, I have someone who wants to buy them, but I'm not sure if he'd buy them if I take the sensors out of them.

Edit: Nine Ball looked up the part number of the sensors I just bought and they are probably NOT going to fix my problem. I'm going to take the sensors out of my stock wheels and put them in my new wheels.

Last edited by Darth_Emma; 06-25-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:40 PM   #8
Nine Ball

Terri, that GM sensor part number 12768826 is the old version (315 Mhz) sensor. Nobody seems to know what the new sensor part # is. The GM service computers have not been updated to reflect the change in sensors.

You might instruct your OEM wheel buyer that he should use his own TPMS sensors in your wheels, or he could run into the same issue.

Its a safe bet that VIN numbers built after 132183 have the newer 314.9 Mhz sensors.

This thread should probably be a sticky, as it can be an expensive lesson.

Tony
Old 06-25-2010, 05:45 PM   #9
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Tony,
Thank you for looking up that part number - that is indeed the part number on the receipt.

I just sent the member who is interested in my wheels a note to that effect. I'll return the sensors I bought today to the dealer. I'll have my stock sensors put in my new wheels.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:51 PM   #10
Nine Ball

Aaron, you stopping by this weekend? Give me a call if so. I wonder if there is a GM part number printed on the new sensors.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:52 PM   #11
ArkySS
Camaroless for now...

Drives: 2014 Blue Topaz Silverado
Dang yet another vendor bringing HUGE value to these forums. Way to go Tony
Old 06-25-2010, 05:57 PM   #12
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Thanks Tony!!

What a pain!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:44 PM   #13
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Don't get all that much earlier than mine. vin# 9067, built in early May. I'm having the issue. Could your info be wrong?
Old 06-25-2010, 07:15 PM   #14
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Thats good info... thanks NineBall

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote