Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-11-2008, 12:03 PM   #15
blindingillusion

Drives: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Regarding the paint condition on the new Camaro, I plan on doing the following once my car arrives;

1. Ask the dealer not to remove the plastic, etc., before I take a look at the car/paint. To avoid any issue's over any possible "defects" in the paint, I'll allow them to hand wash the vehicle, and be present if possible.

2. I'll most likely bring the car home and go over it with a "fine tooth comb" to ensure the quailty and condition of the interior and exterior. And I'll probably wash it again myself.

3. Depending on the "build date" of the car (to determine the age of the paint) I'll determine if the paint has cured enough before going through the "Zaino process".

I've followed this process with my SS with alot of success.
Many times I'm asked if the car has received a professional repaint, and people are surprised to hear the paint is factory original.

Totally forgot about Zaino. If you follow the process really well it will pretty much kill overspray, orange peel, and swirls. But you have to follow it to a T. That includes using US made 100% Cotton towels and all the nit picking stuff.
-Hurst Short Throw Shifter
-20" Polished Aluminum Wheels

Has Owned:
2008 Cobalt
1996 Monte Carlo
1988 Sierra
1979 LeSabre
blindingillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:20 PM   #16
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindingillusion View Post
Totally forgot about Zaino. If you follow the process really well it will pretty much kill overspray, orange peel, and swirls. But you have to follow it to a T. That includes using US made 100% Cotton towels and all the nit picking stuff.
Any clay bar used properly will take care of overspray.

regarding orange peel - the only way to fix that is sanding the finish, no liquid product will correct that.

Swirls and a mirror like finish, many products will accomplish this. I just prefer Zaino as well
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:15 PM   #17
SAE05
inconspicuous observer

Drives: 05 GTO
better than . . .

All I can say is, I pray to the engineering gods that there were some lessons learned, shannon six sigma, and taguchi tools used with the 04-06 GTO-my gosh the paint was thin and crappy on those cars to keep that from happening on the Camaro thing going on.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:49 PM   #18
Mungo

Drives: trans am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Regarding the paint condition on the new Camaro, I plan on doing the following once my car arrives;

1. Ask the dealer not to remove the plastic, etc., before I take a look at the car/paint. To avoid any issue's over any possible "defects" in the paint, I'll allow them to hand wash the vehicle, and be present if possible.

2. I'll most likely bring the car home and go over it with a "fine tooth comb" to ensure the quailty and condition of the interior and exterior. And I'll probably wash it again myself.

3. Depending on the "build date" of the car (to determine the age of the paint) I'll determine if the paint has cured enough before going through the "Zaino process".

I've followed this process with my SS with alot of success.
Many times I'm asked if the car has received a professional repaint, and people are surprised to hear the paint is factory original.
Called Sal at Zaino. Zaino was formulated to be used on NEW paint and curing is not necessary. Zaino is a breathable polymer.
Mungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:54 PM   #19
Mungo

Drives: trans am
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhitson View Post
I was reading the thread about breaking in the engine and it made me think, don't know why though. I have bought bought 2 brand new vehicles from GM now. The paint on both vehicles were acceptable for a factory job. The s-10 had some bad orange peel especialy on the roof. I don't expect GM to do anything special with the paint on the camaro, so I think its safe to assume the paint will be less than show quality. What can be done to get the best out of a factory paint job? I've done the whole wet-sand, cut, buff, wax thing before. Would it be beneficial to spray on additional clear coat? What do you guys think?
I'm a big fan of Zaino products and so are many of my co-workers. When I get my Camaro like I have done on other cars, I wash it with Dawn to remove wax and grease. Use the Zaino clay bar as directed. Followed by their polish. Check out www.zainostore.com for a complete list of their products. The finish will be smooth as glass.
Mungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:55 AM   #20
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
I just started using Zaino on my 4th gen. I've had people pull me over on the highway just to look at the paint. In fact, that happened just last weekend. A guy blew past me in a silver Z28 then slowed down and stayed in front of me. After about 30 miles he pulled over and motioned for me to stop. He got out and walked back and complimented me on the paint(IBM). He said he just had to see it closeup because it looked awesome with the sun reflecting off of it as we cruised through the turns. I only have 3 coats on it so far and its been on there since the second week of November.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:58 AM   #21
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emher View Post
Pretty sure not, because it is too different apparantly and too timeconsuming to do compared to regular paintjobs. However fobodfather himself did say at one point that the paint on one of the Bumblebee concepts was called "sunrise" and is made by Valspar, so I'm planning to getting that when I have the money.
Actually the red jewel tintcoat is 3 stage, thats why it costs extra.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Old 02-05-2009, 03:43 PM   #22
King Mouse

Drives: EXT
Sunrise isn't a three stage paint. PBC stands for Pearl Base Coat and it is just that, a base coat/clear coat. It will give you a brighter color over white but this still doesn't make it a tricoat.

Orange peal IS found in factory paint but not acceptable in the custom paint world.

Hope this clears things up. There is alot of wrong information about paint going around these forums.
King Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:10 PM   #23
kanys

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Ok I am going to buy some Zaino stuff soon to test out on my current vehicles so I know what I am doing by the time the Camaro comes. I know pretty much nothing about car washing so just wanted to make sure I was getting the right stuff. Was planning on getting the Claybar, Z-7 car wash, and Z-2 polish w/ ZFX. Then of course the appropriate applicators. This seems to be the basic stuff, which is what I am looking for. Thanks in advance!
kanys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:04 PM   #24
mcernik

Drives: Rally Yellow SS/RS VIN # 3931
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanys View Post
Ok I am going to buy some Zaino stuff soon to test out on my current vehicles so I know what I am doing by the time the Camaro comes. I know pretty much nothing about car washing so just wanted to make sure I was getting the right stuff. Was planning on getting the Claybar, Z-7 car wash, and Z-2 polish w/ ZFX. Then of course the appropriate applicators. This seems to be the basic stuff, which is what I am looking for. Thanks in advance!
If you have a DARK colored car you would want to use Z-5 instead of Z-2..
mcernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #25
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS

I get my towels for polishing from this place
http://www.dftowel.com/ordertowels.html

and a tutorial for washing a car.has some good pointers in there
http://www.dftowel.com/video.html

Last edited by Nexus6; 02-05-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:24 PM   #26
kanys

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcernik View Post
If you have a DARK colored car you would want to use Z-5 instead of Z-2..
Well my Camaro will be Silver but I was gonna practice on a Gray car and a Red car, is the Red one too dark for Z-2? And thanks for the links Nexus! Nice collection you have there.
kanys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:05 AM   #27
Al Robinson
RACKM

Drives: 2001 Mazda MilleniaS
Quote:
Well my Camaro will be Silver but I was gonna practice on a Gray car and a Red car, is the Red one too dark for Z-2? And thanks for the links Nexus! Nice collection you have there.
Zaino is a product that is used for colors across the spectrum. All that is necessary for basic paint care is:
1. Zaino claybar ( there are others, but this is the easiest to use)
2. Z-2 Pro;
3. Z-6 Gloss enhanser

The Z-5 that someone else mentioned for dark color paints, is their swirl and scratch remover for all colors. The bomb is the Z-CS clear seal, but is is expensive -- $29.95-- but users say it is worth it. Zaino will tell you to apply the product using a back and forth motion for horizontal sufaces, ( hood, trunk, roof ) and a up and down motion for vertical surfaces ( doors and fenders). This will minimize swirl marks. You won't be disappointed. Check the web site for tips and tricks.

Last edited by Al Robinson; 02-06-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Al Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #28
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Quote:
go to the website and check it out. When I bought mine they had a kit with everything included for $75.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone