Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-16-2015, 11:51 PM   #1
tanur420

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
gas cap

So I noticed my check engine light coming on and going back off randomly. Scanned it, gave a few codes I cant remember atm but I tracked it down to a specific chain of events. When I fill up my gas tank, it usually goes off.and when I get around half it will come back on. Like something is making the cap loosen. Any ideas on what to do with an im thinking defective gas cap?
Edit- forgot that another thing that makes me look at the cap, is when it comes on sometimes I can make it go away by unscrewing and reinserting the cap and giving a few extra clicks.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:25 AM   #2
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
It sounds like you answered your own question. Go buy another gas cap.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:10 PM   #3
tanur420

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Was wondering if there was a way to fix the old one was the main thing I suppose. Like replacing a gasket or something
Old 01-18-2015, 09:28 AM   #4
satxrider
Bad 45th

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversay Edition SS
Not worth trying to disassemble and to try and repair. The replacement is cheap enough to just replace. Aftermarket version available for $15 and OE versions under $20.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.co/chevrole..._name=fuel-cap
Magnuson TVS 2300 Supercharger / Alky Meth Injection / Lingenfelter GT12 Cam / Kooks LT Headers, 3 inch exhaust & QTP electric cut outs / Monster LT1-S Twin Disc Clutch / MGW flat blade short throw shifter / Haltech CAI / VMax Throttle Body / DSS Stage 3 axles/ BMR Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Suspension Bushing and 1" lowering springs / Taylor 8MM Plug Wires / Tuned by Henderson Performance Technologies / EBC dimpled and sloted rotors / G2 Painted Calipers / GM Tower Strut Brace / ZL1 Factory Rep Wheels
satxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:11 AM   #5
J-Crazy Camaro

Drives: Red V8
yea go to the dealership and order a new cap
Old 01-22-2015, 11:48 AM   #6
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Is the gasket hard or ripped? If not, it's probably not the problem anyway. Hopefully it is, since it's the cheapest, but the quality on my cap seems ok and I doubt it would be bad so soon.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:50 AM   #7
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Go with the OEM cap. Most aftermarket caps don't have the tether to keep the cap attached to the car. Just keeps you from losing your cap when filling up.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:20 PM   #8
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
My cap is very sensitive, I need to make sure it is on tight and even then seems to have loosened up a few times.
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:48 PM   #9
bbnova

Drives: 2012 2LS
When I had my 2012 LS, I was experiencing the same thing only mine would stall or try to stall just after filling up some times. Turns out the float in the gas tank wasn't working correctly allowing me to overfill the tank sending raw fuel into the line that checks for leaks sending a loose gas cap light. When the system checked for leaks, it had fuel in that line and causing the gas cap light to come on. The work was done at Bill Fox Chevy in Rochester Hills Michigan if you or your dealer can't get it figured out.
bbnova is offline   Reply With Quote