Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 07-25-2014, 06:40 AM   #15
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DagoCountyGee View Post
That's ridiculous. Just do it yourself bro or get a buddy to help you. Changing the air filter is about as easy as brushing your teeth.
+1 If you can't change your air filter by yourself...please go trade your car in...probably along with your man card. You will have shamed us all lol
Old 07-25-2014, 06:47 AM   #16
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
So they want:

Battery Service - So $30 for them to connect a tester to your battery and make sure it still works? lol

Coolant Swap - Ok, there might be some validity here. But thats another thing you can do with the car in teh air. Drain the coolant...refill!

Cleaning the Injectors - Is it really necessary to clean the injectors at 30K mile?

Tranny Fluid Swap - I think we've gone through this enough, easy to do yourself.

Replace Fuel Filter - My home mechanic says at this point, replacing fuel filters is almost not even worth it. Fuel these days is clean enough that unless you are getting gas at the shadiest gas station in your area, you should be ok.

Air Filter - If you can't do this yourself in 5 mins, there is a serious issue.

Most of these you can do yourself OP, i would consider it, and just show the dealership the receipts as part of your warranty.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:08 AM   #17
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
So they want:

Battery Service - So $30 for them to connect a tester to your battery and make sure it still works? lol

Coolant Swap - Ok, there might be some validity here. But thats another thing you can do with the car in teh air. Drain the coolant...refill!

Cleaning the Injectors - Is it really necessary to clean the injectors at 30K mile?

Tranny Fluid Swap - I think we've gone through this enough, easy to do yourself.

Replace Fuel Filter - My home mechanic says at this point, replacing fuel filters is almost not even worth it. Fuel these days is clean enough that unless you are getting gas at the shadiest gas station in your area, you should be ok.

Air Filter - If you can't do this yourself in 5 mins, there is a serious issue.

Most of these you can do yourself OP, i would consider it, and just show the dealership the receipts as part of your warranty.

All of these services are excessive and not needed nor recommended by GM.

This dealer is drumming up some business!

Fuel filter isn't needed, my brother has over 60k on his 2010, original fuel filter. I've driven at least two cars to 100k miles, never changed the fuel filter.

Battery service is useless, you can't service the battery. Thats free money for the dealer there.

I've never had a battery die inside 5 years, mine was built in '09 and still going strong. Even then i'll wait till it dies and buy a new one...
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:15 AM   #18
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Thread moved to proper forum
Old 07-25-2014, 10:27 PM   #19
tjk_art

Drives: 2010
OP, this all needs to be addressed immediately. I completely agree with the dealer.

I would take your camaro in ASAP and tell them to have the full service done, however, seeing as it is not recommended anywhere by GM in GM's service manual, tell them if this service needs to be done, it sounds like a warranty issue, and you would like for the dealer to cover the expense.

See how fast they jump on that for you..
tjk_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:09 AM   #20
HiTechGent

Drives: 2018 Hot Wheels 2SS Man (#1030)
I don't see anything listed in the owner's manual regarding a 30K mile service.

So, what is it? And why should I have it done? Note: I have a manual transmission and I don't take my Camaro to the track.

I'm thinking this is just a scam.

By the way, the dealer wanted to charge me $439.95 for it. With no details on what was included.

Last edited by HiTechGent; 05-15-2021 at 08:23 AM.
HiTechGent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:43 PM   #21
Speeddmn

Drives: Chevy Silverado
You all do realize oils break down over time also. Fluid exchanges are just as important as a regular oil change. The climate you live in and driving style will dictate when you should be doing these. Here in Montana we recommend 30-45k for miles.

For all of you that can do these items yourself, congratulations. Not everyone can. And if you go into a dealer for warranty, or what you think is warranty, work and you blow off all the recommended services that were suggested. I doubt those service advisors will love to help you out since you supported them….
Speeddmn is offline   Reply With Quote