Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-28-2018, 09:58 AM   #85
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
That's why there's a class-action lawsuit against BMW, it's a terrible marketing name.

"Twin-Power" is on the 1.5L 3-cyl single-scroll single-turbo, because it's also Valvetronic and DI. The most recent engines that are still under the corporate umbrella of "Twin-Power", such as the quad-turbo Diesel, don't even bother putting the misleading nomenclature on the noise cover anymore.

Also, Diesel's are nearly always DI, except those weirdo designs with pre-combustion chambers. Most Diesel's nowadays are marketed as Common Rail to distinguish the very high rail pressure versus an older school "fuel distributor", but they're all still direct injection.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:13 PM   #86
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
That's why there's a class-action lawsuit against BMW, it's a terrible marketing name.

"Twin-Power" is on the 1.5L 3-cyl single-scroll single-turbo, because it's also Valvetronic and DI. The most recent engines that are still under the corporate umbrella of "Twin-Power", such as the quad-turbo Diesel, don't even bother putting the misleading nomenclature on the noise cover anymore.

Also, Diesel's are nearly always DI, except those weirdo designs with pre-combustion chambers. Most Diesel's nowadays are marketed as Common Rail to distinguish the very high rail pressure versus an older school "fuel distributor", but they're all still direct injection.
Yes, I forgot that is what Common Rail is. Thanks. I am not as well versed in diesel engines. I would imagine that DI would help in a diesel to more precisely control ignition timing, because the timing of the fuel spray can put the compression over the top causing the compression combustion.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:23 PM   #87
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
Yes, I forgot that is what Common Rail is. Thanks. I am not as well versed in diesel engines. I would imagine that DI would help in a diesel to more precisely control ignition timing, because the timing of the fuel spray can put the compression over the top causing the compression combustion.
Funny how several of the "newer" gasoline engine fuel economy technologies originated with diesel engines. Direct Injection, two-stage boosting, higher compression ratios, high pressure DI, decal fuel cutoff, I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 11:37 PM   #88
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I think it is a manufacturer defined difference without a distinction. For example, BMW describes engines with one twin-scroll turbo as being bi-turbo and use the brand name Twin-Power.
I always thought the "twin-power" mean that you had an ICE engine AND a turbo, hence the turbo is "helping" the engine and together, they are "twin power". I had a BMW and that was my understanding.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:09 AM   #89
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
I always thought the "twin-power" mean that you had an ICE engine AND a turbo, hence the turbo is "helping" the engine and together, they are "twin power". I had a BMW and that was my understanding.
As Ryephile has pointed out, BMW has blurred the meaning a lot over time. BMW had turbos long before starting to use the TwinPower name. They started using TwinPower at the same time that they started introducing twin-scroll turbos, so it was logical for people to connect the two.

Then at some point in time BMW said that TwinPower could mean a single twin-scroll turbo or two single-scroll turbos. Then they later said that it was a combination of turbo technology + direct injection (which they had already been doing for years) + Valvetronic (which was already on its 3rd or 4th generation by then). I think that what happened was they backed off on some of the planned applications of twin-scroll but didn’t want to remove the TwinPower badge from vehicles that didn’t have twin-scrolls. The whole turbo + DI + Valvetronic setup had been in place for years before the TwinPower name fell from the sky.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:16 AM   #90
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
JDN is now saying Cadillac will not share this engine with Corvette...
Old 03-29-2018, 08:47 AM   #91
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
There’s no reason for Corvette to use it. It weighs about as much as the LT4 but is down on power and torque.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:19 AM   #92
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
JDN is now saying Cadillac will not share this engine with Corvette...
That's what the 5.5 is for
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:52 AM   #93
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
There’s no reason for Corvette to use it. It weighs about as much as the LT4 but is down on power and torque.
But but but ... it has more technology! It MUST be better in every single possible way. I mean, just look at its specific output!
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:40 PM   #94
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
But but but ... it has more technology! It MUST be better in every single possible way. I mean, just look at its specific output!
That sounds exactly like the reason a snobby high end buyer would say lol
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote