Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: Do you want a more powerful version of the Camaro(Z28)?
Yes 836 76.07%
No 263 23.93%
Voters: 1099. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-23-2008, 09:40 PM   #295
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Okay, first I meant absolutely no offense. That was my sense of humor about the whole thing that I think is quite immature that some people are in such an uproar over the absense of the Z28. But I do understand on the same token that it's an important part of the Camaro herritage. It's just, the Camaro is back, and we should all be lucky and thankfull it has returned at all.

Second, would the performance of the car you order as an SS with either the L99 or LS3 be any differently if the badge on the decklid said Z28 instead of SS? Would your 4th gen F-body feel any different if you took off the Z28 badging from the front fenders?

Again, no disrespect to the Z28, but sometimes people go a little overboard.

I love the Z28, and wish there was a Z28. Having said that, I'm going to order an SS and will be thrilled with the car I'm sure.
ok point taken. and didn't really get upset over it. just making a point and the internet you can't tell sometimes when someone is joking/humor.

personally I think calling the base V-8 anything besides that with out doing something special doesn't note the SS or Z28 badging. I believe the SS and Z28 should be packages like they were back in the 60's. but the badges have been watered down to be just a trim level. but that's a different discussion entirely. I am glad the camaro is back and intend to buy a vert if no Z will be on it's way.

my 4th gen is sitting up on blocks right now so it won't feel like anything . but that's the thing if I had bought an SS i probably would have wanted to race the 1/4 mile all the time. but I bought a Z and enjoyed the fact that I could debage it and it look like a regular camaro and my over all performance goal is to make the thing carve some serious corners. but that being said oh well.

again I'm very greatful the camaro is back. I knew it would be back in 2002. just like I know the Z28 will be back some day. hopefully it will be soon.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:29 PM   #296
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
well depends on what Z28 means to you. if you're talking about a high horsepower car with a supercharger. . .maybe. they already have the LSA and LS9. wouldn't take much to put them in a camaro.

If you go back to what a Z28 was back in the day before it was truely watered down, a road race prepped camaro that had a 302 ci motor and a beefed up suspension, then still maybe.

Now there's a better chance of the supercharged camaro then what I believe would be a better choice for a Z28. The reason I say this the majority of people that want the Z28 are screaming for a supercharged camaro. so it would make it more profitable for GM to make that then what I want.

just try not to be so negative torwards the possibility of a Z28. no one has confirmed or denied it there is one being built. so it's all about perspective.
I'd like to see an LS9 Z/28 as well being offered but if they can't supply us with one, could they at least offer something?

I totally understand all the SS guys and non Z/28 enthusiasts who think this debate is silly because GM is offering 95% of what a Z/28 would be with the SS. On the surface it does sound silly but let's just say that every company would love to have a product as recognizable and that had as many devotees as the Z/28.
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:33 PM   #297
Hylton

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
You may or may not know, but the question she answered is misquoted. Cheryl herself responded in an email saying the actual quesiton was something like, "with there be a Z28 at launch?" And her answer was no.

And since then Scott as trid to calm the waters saying it isn't dead. So again back to your original point. I wish they'd say something also.
Yes but to comment so much about the SS being the corporate top gun performance model and then say that's the direction we are going in says much more to me than a simple no about whether there will be a Z/28 at launch. If it was to be at a later date, why didn't she just say so and be done with it?
Old 07-23-2008, 10:41 PM   #298
Mythic

Drives: '03 Monte Carlo SS
Probably because it isn't definite,

They need to look at a number of factors,
Sales - and of what trims
Market response and Feedback
Dev costs
Market Segment for the Z/28 (total track car, slimmed and tightend or HiPo Beast or Beast with cleats?)
Depending on the above then you start your goodies package.
- Integrated RS pack?
- Engine (LS376/480 480hp | LSA s/c 556hp etc - I know the LS9 is an awesome engine, the Camaro wont ever get it)
- Transmission (SS 3.45 axle, CTS-V 3.7. axle..)
and so on....

There is seriously alot of crap GM will have to do to prep and present a Z/28 if and when they decide its economically viable to do so.
Mythic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:43 PM   #299
Hylton

Sure but they had to do all of that for the SS already so it should not be such a new exercise.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:49 PM   #300
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Good point but do you think they would have gotten the green light in todays market with todays GM and all the challenges it faces? When I read this article and Cheryl's specific response to the question "Will there be a Z/28 model?", it sounds pretty cut and dry to me.

http://www.automobilemag.com/new_and...wer/index.html

It was a misquote.

Let me make a few comments:

We do not want to use the Z28 moniker on a car that does not deserve this hallowed name.

We don't talk about future products -- but what makes you think we haven't been doing work on something?????

I can't say more than that......other than:

"KEEP THE FAITH" --

I can't lie to you guys -- because if I do, I will have zero credibility......and I don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon -- you're stuck with my ugly mug.
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:51 PM   #301
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Yes but to comment so much about the SS being the corporate top gun performance model and then say that's the direction we are going in says much more to me than a simple no about whether there will be a Z/28 at launch. If it was to be at a later date, why didn't she just say so and be done with it?
because GM's policy is to not talk about future product plans like that. I.E. Blue devil aka ZR1. The auto mags are the ones that talked the car up so much GM didn't say anything about it. but finally one day bam there it is in all it's glory. . .ZR1 638 hp corvette.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:53 PM   #302
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
It was a misquote.

We do not want to use the Z28 moniker on a car that does not deserve this hallowed name.

We don't talk about future products -- but what makes you think we haven't been doing work on something?????

"KEEP THE FAITH" --

I can't lie to you guys -- because if I do, I will have zero credibility......and I don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon -- you're stuck with my ugly mug.
thank you so much for this post. especially the comment about the hallowed name.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:56 PM   #303
Mythic

Drives: '03 Monte Carlo SS
Not nessecarily, and just because you have done a product rollout doesn't mean you don't start from square one when you want to make an upgrade.

A car of this type really isn't the generic cookie cutter variety.
It is expensive to make a new new car. Now add to that you have an enthusiastic target audience that won't hesitate to shove its foot in its mouth to tell you to pound sand if the Car isn't 110% what they envisioned.

I can guarantee out of the gate GM had the base LS (LT is an upgrade to the LS) and SS in mind based on their existing lineup. 2 main packages that you can then trim out keeps cost down and your reach broad.

Hell when the Camaro debued the LS2 was the hotshit engine.
Contrary to popular opinion the LS7 was only ever a Camaro pipe dream - GM has said on more than one occasion it was hella expensive to manufacture.
During the following years GM has had to adjust to market feedback, Govt and envirionmental pressures and its fanbase to develop the Car we see.

Don't think you can just say alright take what you saw and extrapolate and give me a 3rd model. First GM has to see a return on its investment before putting more money into a new option pack.

That being the case it is of no benefit to annouce anything now for a product that may not exist if the market won't bear it. All that will create is bad press and ill will in the fan base for announcing and shelving a product.
Mythic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:56 PM   #304
Hylton

Quote:
It was a misquote.

"KEEP THE FAITH" --

Good enough for me Scott. Build something even if you can't do Plan A. Okay I'll shut up on this subject now.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:52 PM   #305
Chemical

Drives: 2SS RS
I for one am not EXPECTING a super demented horse power car, even though thats the highes probability given the fact that the LS9 and LSA exist.

Who wouldn't buy a 400-450hp hybrid? That will put a new definition in muscle, wouldn't it? get 25-30mpg... not bad

Though I do understand that some want to use the monster for racing and this wouldn't be such a great buy... but as we all know GM goes for the masses and I'm thinking the masses would go with a hybrid.

Yes, a little farfetched but stranger things have happend.

Quote:
Would you simply want the Z/28 to be a cosmetic package of an SS (which is what I think you are alluding to) or do you want it to be a bit unique under the skin? Keep in mind now that they cannot offer us any additional power than what we have with the current SS.
No, I don't want some appearence package... I want the power AND I want it to look different than all the other Camaros (like Bumblebee2, or something equivalent) AND they CAN offer additional power, look at the CTS-V. We're talking about an engine transplant.
Chemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:26 AM   #306
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
It was a misquote.

"KEEP THE FAITH" --

I can't possibly think of anything more that can be said.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:33 AM   #307
2KZ28_For_Now
SS Shotgun Ride?!??! :-)

Drives: 2000 Z28
Quote:
It was a misquote.

"KEEP THE FAITH" --

And YOUR stuck with sorting through all the "I like it" and "I HATE it" posts. Lucky you!!!!

Needless to say, I'm VERY GLAD your here to do so!!!

I cannot believe all the bi-polar, fragmented opinions that the release has drawn (mine included, I admit).

But, we need a good traffic cop. And, I think GM has you in their corner as one of the best to have ever played "traffic cop" and "cheerleader" at the same time.

I can't say how much I respect your professionalism throughout this "storm."

Way to hang tough, Bro, and stay focused on the mission!!!
Old 07-24-2008, 12:51 AM   #308
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010
Z28 Hold Out!

Drives: 2000 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:
It was a misquote.

"KEEP THE FAITH" --

I hope that before the summer begins next year we are far enough into the

future to know something. I feel better that GM knows what the name Z28
means to us, and just wont slap it on something just to make us happy, no

matter how much me and other people bitch. I am sure the masses will love

the SS/RS and all the features of the new Camaro, but I want a hard core

true enthusiast car, with the name and history to back it up. I want

performance that any car guy cant deny kicks ass.
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010 is offline   Reply With Quote