Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #57
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
http://fastestlaps.com/cars/subaru_i...x_sti_25l.html

http://fastestlaps.com/cars/chevrole...o_ss_2010.html

4 out of 5 tracks where both cars have been tested, the STI is behind. These are no dirt track.

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #58
trademaster

Drives: 12 MP4-12C, 16 Quattroporte
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
So it was a racecar. This just proves that GM did wonders with the ZL1.
I wouldn't say it's a race car. Almost all of the cars run roll cages and harnesses for safety. This seems to be some type of prototype for a new special edition subaru. They have had some wild special models in the past which is why I was surprised they didn't run one of those, but it seems they did (sort of). Maybe this is a toned down replacement for the Spec-C RA-R.

http://www.supercars.net/cars/3628.html

Interestingly enough, if this translates to a production car it will be the fasest 'ring time for any production sedan ever, faster than the CTS-V and Porsche Panamera.

None the less, this shows how much power matters on tracks with big sweepers and long straights like the 'ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikamaro View Post
http://fastestlaps.com/cars/subaru_i...x_sti_25l.html

http://fastestlaps.com/cars/chevrole...o_ss_2010.html

4 out of 5 tracks where both cars have been tested, the STI is behind. These are no dirt track.
2007 is the old chassis, the current car is completely different other than the engine and transmission. The SS will still probably beat the current sti around many tracks, but that can be attributed to power. He didn't say the sti is faster around any track, he said it handles better. In the handling department an SS doesn't compare. The subaru is lighter, has all wheel drive, is very stiff and has an extremely low center of gravity because of that boxer.

Last edited by trademaster; 02-22-2013 at 10:16 PM.
trademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #59
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risen View Post
Good video comparison. Amazing how close the sti stays until the longer straights where the ZL1 pulls away... like it should.

The STI is $15,000 cheaper than a ZL1 and obviously outgunned. And the motor in the STI won't blow up any time soon. Subaru's are extremely well engineered cars and their boxers are bullett proof. They have a very strong racing pedigree and it shows.

Yes, most people would take a ZL1 over an STI, it's $15,000 more car. But the guys driving STIs are in the Camaro SS price range. The STI is a much better all around performer than an SS without the 1LE package.

Been a Camaro guy my whole life but I can't help but respect the Subarus. They are mean little buggars.
Do any of you guys here know of the tons and tons of ringland issues the subis are having. Even the one I drove 2 weeks ago had that issue with 35 miles on the clock and the check engine light on during test drive, the salesman said ," hey there is warranty what are you worrying about".
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:17 PM   #60
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Notice how smooth the turning is in the ZL1 and how much the STi driver is fighting the steering wheel. The Camaro looks so easy to control. The STi looks like it's rally racing on a paved road.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:19 PM   #61
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
Mikamaro..Lol...I get it. Various dates various laps differents chassis spreadsheet...bla bla. Have you driven both back to back? I have.
My FRC handled almost dance like...gracefully ya know. The STI did just as well but the thing wanted a more butcher like meat fisted touch. My camaro doesn't do what either did...but it kicks their tails in a straight line. Lolz
ZL1 ftw, agreed. This other side bar...not so much.

Last edited by grocerygetter; 02-22-2013 at 10:52 PM.
grocerygetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #62
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Not to crush you ZL-1 lovers but 3000lb cars don't need as much power as ZL-1s to shine. Compare another close to 3000lb car that did way better on the ring than the STI was a production model and had 220hp less or so that the ZL-1. E46 M3 CSL.
Attached Images

L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:40 PM   #63
trademaster

Drives: 12 MP4-12C, 16 Quattroporte
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
Not to crush you ZL-1 lovers but 3000lb cars don't need as much power as ZL-1s to shine. Compare another close to 3000lb car that did way better on the ring than the STI was a production model and had 220hp less or so that the ZL-1. E46 M3 CSL.
The CSL was one bad ass car. It's too bad it never came to the US. Still a bit slower than the ZL1 around the ring, but yes with way less power. The E92 GTS is really cool too. I have been meaning to build a turbo e46 m3 for a while now.
trademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #64
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
Power is just part of the story. A lot of people forget that.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #65
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
I always enjoy these. I had to load Forza Motorsport 4 into my XBOX to try it for myself. Its amazing how close XBOX tracks to this video. Unfortuantly my best time was 14:07.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #66
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerygetter View Post
Mikamaro..Lol...I get it. Various dates various laps differents chassis spreadsheet...bla bla. Have you driven both back to back? I have.
My FRC handled almost dance like...gracefully ya know. The STI did just as well but the thing wanted a more butcher like meat fisted touch. My camaro doesn't do what either did...but it kicks their tails in a straight line. Lolz
ZL1 ftw, agreed. This other side bar...not so much.
No, not back to back same day. I had a 2009 WRX before the SS.

My disagreement with your comment that the STI is a better handler stands mostly on my personal experiences on track with fellow club members driving them. Here is what I have to say:

No stock STI of any year has a faster time at any lapping events I've been too, including a very short track without a long strait (60sec a lap) in dry conditions.

I can stick the SS at the same speed and place of the STI in tight, mild and fast corner except hairpins.
I will conceed that It is harder to drive the SS and keep it steady mid corner but the SS is faster out, faster in strait line and has a better braking power with equal mid corner speed.

Outside the track, my WRX shinned and was better all around then my SS in almost every other conditions, wet, snow, gravel, dirt roads and back roads, no contest there.
That will be all.
Mike.

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.

Last edited by Mikamaro; 02-23-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #67
xjer22x

Drives: 2010 rs/ss black # 10,308
I personally have owned two subarus... a 2005 WRX STi (500whp) and a 2011 WRX (330whp)...

I actually traded in my 05 STi to get the camaro. I do think this video is a little silly as they are comparing a $36,000 car vs the ZL1 at around $55,000. But still the camaro is no slouch, even the SS version.

The biggest thing about the STi's are that they make them so tight and stiff you really feel like you are going faster then you really are. And it involves a lot more attention when racing them because of how tight everything is. The camaro does require more effort at times due to the wait though. I wish i coulda raced my 05 STi against my Camaro now. Woulda been a good race.

But The STi's and WRX's are know to have issues with their engines. they even state in the warranty that they allow one engine replacement within 3 years or 36 months. It is very common for their rings to fail.

I beat the crap out of every car i drive. Shoot, thats what they are for... and out of all the cars i have owned, The camaro takes it better than anything i have had in the past. And thats a total of 20 cars.
xjer22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:05 AM   #68
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerygetter View Post
Go ahead. Show me that the SS isn't quicker in the quarter and that the STI doesn't handle better. Stock vs stock. I've owned both...have you?
The standard Camaro SS while it isn't slow isn't exactly a handling power house. I did read some reviews of the STI which gives it a 1/4mile of about 13.4 seconds (car and driver at least). Though honestly that puts the two cars pretty neck and neck bone stock and I would give the nod to the STI as I would think it would be more consistent.

Comparing the Subaru STI to the Camaro SS I would have to come to the conclusion that the STI is simply the better performance car. Though at the same time I feel that the Camaro SS and STI both have different goals and were made for different reasons. After all the Camaro SS has a ring lap time of 8:19.-- which isn't that good. The Subaru in question in this video as per Car and Driver was a prototype car that was producing some 320BHP while being lower and having stiffer suspension tuning. I personally think that a production STI (US version) is around a 8:00 minute car (give or take 5 seocnds). That would put it at 14-24 seconds faster then the standard SS Camaro, however I think that the 1LE would beat the STI.

The counter point is that Car and Driver tested the 2011 (I believe it was a 2011) STI at VIR and ran a 3:13.8 seconds while with a Camaro SS 3:09.5. 3:01.5 seconds for the 1LE Camaro and 2:57.5 for the ZL1 Camaro.....
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:07 AM   #69
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjer22x View Post
I personally have owned two subarus... a 2005 WRX STi (500whp) and a 2011 WRX (330whp)...

I actually traded in my 05 STi to get the camaro. I do think this video is a little silly as they are comparing a $36,000 car vs the ZL1 at around $55,000. But still the camaro is no slouch, even the SS version.

The biggest thing about the STi's are that they make them so tight and stiff you really feel like you are going faster then you really are. And it involves a lot more attention when racing them because of how tight everything is. The camaro does require more effort at times due to the wait though. I wish i coulda raced my 05 STi against my Camaro now. Woulda been a good race.

But The STi's and WRX's are know to have issues with their engines. they even state in the warranty that they allow one engine replacement within 3 years or 36 months. It is very common for their rings to fail.

I beat the crap out of every car i drive. Shoot, thats what they are for... and out of all the cars i have owned, The camaro takes it better than anything i have had in the past. And thats a total of 20 cars.
I was going to make a comment that the STI might feel faster then it really is, however I have no personal experience with them at all.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:38 AM   #70
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
I was going to make a comment that the STI might feel faster then it really is, however I have no personal experience with them at all.
Yea...that wing makes you feel like you're doing 100 all the time.
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote